Konami Plans No More Metal Gear or AAA Games - Rumor

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Good night Konami, you were a great company once. You really managed to entertain me for quite a few years with some great games and a cheat code that will live forever. I'd love it if you're going to quit making games, either license out or sell off the IPs to other devs who can make something work but I know in your greed you'll crush those things I loved into the most soulless form of thievery of the customer.
FucKonami.

Disclaimer: I'm through with Konami, whether this is true or not they've lost me as a fan for a lot of reasons.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Ylla said:
Oh Konami.... We arent mad at you because of the pachinko machines or because you want to make mobile games.

We are mad at you because you threat your talent like crap and because you dont want to make more AAA games.

Why oh why you fools couldnt just look at Bethesda for instance? They suddenly decided to make a mobile game, and they had the nerve to announce it right after Fallout 4. Did we got mad? NO, WE WERE HAPPY, BECAUSE WE WERE GETTING AN AWESOME GAME AND THE STUDIO WAS GETTING EVEN RICHER FARMING THOSE MOBILE WHALES!!

You dig yourselves a hole doing exactly the opposite of what Bethesda did to turn itself into a respectable publisher. All you needed to do was support Kojima and make Silent Hills, then build a bunch of acceptable mobiles games (and pachinko machines, if they pay for the next Castlevania then why the hell not?) and get insanely rich and loved by your fans.... But you didnt :(
Plus, Fallout Shelter is kind of really, really good... Especially for a mobile game.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
I wish Konami would sell off its IPs so that we could actually see some of them return to greatness. I miss Contra and Gradius. Heck I'd love to see what a company like Nintendo could do if they got their hands on Contra, Gradius, or Bomberman. Silent Hill and Metal Gear would also be better off in more competent hands. I can think of another studios who would be interesting to take over Castlevania, and we all know Suikoden needs some love.

So many good franchises owned by such an awful company.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Why bother with AAA when you can just make cheap fee to pay mobile games and pachinko machines to be swimming in money?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Yeah, I can see this being the case. Why else would they get rid of Kojima? I know plenty of people are edgy and cool and dislike him, but he's still a major game developer. I can't see a reason to unceremoniously fire him. This would be like Nintendo firing Miyamoto and barely mentioning it in a press release.

On the one hand, I feel like this is a loss for the game industry. It wasn't that long ago that Konami was a name that meant quality titles. Konami was one of the best developers for several generations. Even the Konami Code is incredibly well known and has the occasional reference, like in the English dub of Hellsing Ultimate.

On the other hand, look at what Konami has become. Does anyone really want them making games anymore?

Fuck Konami.

Something Amyss said:
They pretty much had nothing I cared about anyway. Especially now that we have a "spiritual successor" to Castlevania upcoming.
Well, they haven't made a Suikoden game in like a decade. And all their recent behavior made me lose interest in MGSV, so I can't say I disagree.

47_Ronin

Jul 30, 2012
Saltyk said:
Well, they haven't made a Suikoden game in like a decade. And all their recent behavior made me lose interest in MGSV, so I can't say I disagree.
"No decent Suikoden game" I'd like to add. But, yeah, could you imagine...

My name is JACK

Aug 10, 2014
Now all we need to is do whatever is necessary to ensure the freemium market crashes, and then the digital entertainment branch will be no more. That's the best chance we have of Konami being compelled to sell their IPs (Ninetendo or Sony or someone worthy)

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
My name is JACK said:
That's the best chance we have of Konami being compelled to sell their IPs (Ninetendo or Sony or someone worthy)
I once said it and I will say it again: Konami will not sell any IP ever unless they go outright bankrupt.

Whatever IP you like that Konami holds the right of, forget about it and look for something new.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Meh, I lost all hope for Konami and IPs at its claws long time ago, now I'm just waiting fingers crossed for Kojima announcing something on kickstarter.

My name is JACK

Aug 10, 2014
Ishigami said:
My name is JACK said:
That's the best chance we have of Konami being compelled to sell their IPs (Ninetendo or Sony or someone worthy)
I once said it and I will say it again: Konami will not sell any IP ever unless they go outright bankrupt.

Whatever IP you like that Konami holds the right of, forget about it and look for something new.
Well if the F2P market crashes that at least brings us one step closer.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Let's be fair, any of us with our ears to the ground saw this coming. It's just a matter of what will happen. But knowing the company, they're going to be fine. They make so much of their pachinko anyway that they're not going down. Just not relevant to us any more.