Konami pulls out of Console Gaming

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
If they pull out of console gaming, wouldn't that essentially mean they would pull our of gaming entirely? From what I remember, they aren't exactly present on PC.
Nah, they're moving to mobile. The intoxicating smell of F2P money is too strong to ignore.

Sure, they'll continue to have some console presence outside of Japan (where those games still make money) for a while, but they intend to move their big IPs to mobile eventually.

Vlado

Independent Game Journalist
Feb 21, 2015
Anyone but Kojima making Metal Gear would mean sub-par Metal Gear.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
This doesn't bode well at all for post-release support for MGS5 or MGO's servers. Let's just hope it releases in a mostly bug-free state. Although it probably will after Ground Zeroes was pretty faultless and a fantastic PC port.

I guess all those Konami boycotts are pointless, as they are leaving the industry anyway.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised to see them go since they seem to be making a lot of bad choices and hemorrhaging talented people left and right.

Wasted

Dec 19, 2013
Vlado said:
Non-Kojima MG might not be that bad. The series has been desperately in need of an editor since MGS. Removal of the bloated scenes and convoluted plot would be a big plus to the series.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Dragonbums said:
I don't think that's ever going to happen. I've heard multiple people state that on top of the CEO being a power hungry idiot, Konami also makes a butt ton of cash on Japanese gambling machinces. (If I'm wrong please correct me.) to the point where they just don't give a fuck about their videogaming routes.
Gambling isn't legal in Japan, but they are banking on the idea that in the near future it might be. They do have some slot machines in the US.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Spot1990 said:
They could always go the Fox route and just sit on IPs they have no intention of ever using for "reasons". Why sell their Silent Hill license when they can make a Silent Hill themed pinball machine for instance.
Nah. There's too much skill required to play pinball. They're going pachinko all the way.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Vlado said:
Metal Gear without Kojima wouldn't even be Metal Gear. It might have the mechanics of Metal Gear, but Kojima's a special kind of weird that you can't just imitate.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Dragonbums said:
I don't think any of the above companies you listed will buy out Metal Gear or Silent Hill (and if I'm not mistaken the American companies wouldn't be able to even if they wanted to due to Japanese laws.) but I wouldn't be surprised if they just willy nilly let anyone and their dog have license rights for one game and quality goes to the trashcan.
I actually looked in to that the other day, and I don't think it is strictly true. So you as a person can definitely own stock in a Japanese company, you would just have to own it 'second hand' through a Japanese broker, or someone who has been licensed to trade in Japan. Similar to how it works with a regular broker here where you give them money to manage your stocks and accounts for you, but rather in this case you have given a broker money so they can buy stocks for themselves, but you get the dividends and decide how they manage their stocks. That works small time, but I think it wouldn't large time because its a little legally sketchy. I was surprised at how readily people were willing to do it though.

As far as IP goes though, Metal Gear or Silent Hill are just properties. Anyone can buy them, because you aren't taking partial/full ownership of a company, just buying the copyright, distribution and development rights to a product. As to whether they would do it, I dunno. If they are just flat done with gaming in general, they may as well sell it to the highest bidder. If they want to continue with game development on PC/mobile, then they would probably keep it.

Jaggededge11

May 8, 2013
tstorm823 said:
Dreiko said:
If Nintendo buys them, getting Silent Hill and MGS on their systems could actually give them an edge they need.
I think this is the first time I've seen someone say "What if Nintendo buys them" and I thought "nah, I don't want that."
While you likely wouldn't see a MGS or Silent Hill from Nintendo (At least not for a long time), Nintendo would probably give some long overdue love to franchises that needed it (Like Contra, Castlevania, Gradius and Goemon)

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
LeathermanKick25 said:
I think this is the first time I've seen someone say "What if Nintendo buys them" and I thought "nah, I don't want that."
Damn right. It's bad enough the remake of MGS1 was Gamecube only. I don't want the one franchies I've always been able to get on Playstation suddenly go to Nintendo exclusively.[/quote]

I mean, I am a Nintendo guy these days. I just think back on my metal gear memories and think "I don't want to fight the pain on this platform. It'd be weird."

Jaggededge11 said:
While you likely wouldn't see a MGS or Silent Hill from Nintendo (At least not for a long time), Nintendo would probably give some long overdue love to franchises that needed it (Like Contra, Castlevania, Gradius and Goemon)[/quote]

I don't think so. Nintendo has enough of their own iconic franchises stagnating.

Zenn3k

Feb 2, 2009
MatParker116 said:

So how much will the likes of EA/Activision/Square/MS/Sony be willing to fork over for the likes of Metal Gear and Silent Hill? Would love to see Visceral take a crack at Silent Hill, hell would like to see what Naughtu Dog would do with Metal Gear.
RIP Konami.

So, lets call it, 2018 for Konami filing for Bankruptcy? There is very little money in Mobile games anymore, at least here in the states (probably bigger in Japan). The whole mobile realm has been so saturated with junk free to play, pay to win games that "mobile games" is a dirty word in the states.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Not really a loss, I suppose. As some might have stated already, Konami is a shadow of its former self anyway. When it comes to gaming atleast.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
They're not even bothering to do what Sega is doing and supporting PC in place of console....

This new President of Konami is poison.

senordesol

Oct 12, 2009
For those of you wondering if Konami's going to get into the mobile game biz; they're already in it (worked in that division for 2.5 years, actually).

Don't work there anymore, so don't consider this a plug; but if you're curious:
-Star Wars: Force Collection
-Swords & Poker Adventures

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
MatParker116 said:

So how much will the likes of EA/Activision/Square/MS/Sony be willing to fork over for the likes of Metal Gear and Silent Hill? Would love to see Visceral take a crack at Silent Hill, hell would like to see what Naughtu Dog would do with Metal Gear.
Considering they'd still be able to use those licenses in the future outside of games and they're probably still lucrative I don't think they'll ever sell them. License them to other companies to make games maybe, but that's it.

And I'll say right now that Visceral would be a terrible choice to make a Silent Hill game since they're about as heavy handed with the horror side of the survival horror genre as you can get when Silent Hill should be the exact opposite. And Naughty Dog isn't even remotely weird enough to do MGS justice.

Pinkilicious

Sep 24, 2014
sageoftruth said:
Vlado said:
Metal Gear without Kojima wouldn't even be Metal Gear. It might have the mechanics of Metal Gear, but Kojima's a special kind of weird that you can't just imitate.
hmmmmmmmm
Suda 51 Metal Gear?
Hideki Kamiya Metal Gear?
Jun Iwasaki Metal Gear?

...Or how about we amp up the sexy to really trigger everyone?
SELL METAL GEAR TO MASAYA!!!!
Satoshi Urushihara and Toshiro Tsuchida teaming up to bring you Metal Gear Sexy: Big Brother edition!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah this isn't suprising given to the recent event with their companies and they do seen more invested in those gamling games than they did with their console games.

Still the president is not wrong thought given these days everyone are into mobile gaming.