Konami Releasing Yet Another Metal Gear Solid Collection

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Konami Releasing Yet Another Metal Gear Solid Collection

No, it doesn't include Twin Snakes. Or Portable Ops.

Do you like Metal Gear Solid? I mean do you really like Metal Gear Solid? If so, order a pizza and wash your Solid Snake jim jams, because Konami is giving you the chance to buy the entire series. Again. Kind of.

The Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection, a PS3 exclusive set to arrive June 2013, includes Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, Metal gear Solid 2: HD Edition, Metal gear Solid 3: HD Edition [that's right, the collection contains the previous collection, insert your own Inception crack here), Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid 4: Trophy Edition and two of Ashley Wood's Metal Gear Solid graphic novels.

Likely, the first question to emerge, half formed, from your quivering lips, is "Is Twin Snakes in there?" And the answer is no. No Twin Snakes. No. Not now, not ever. Twin Snakes was a Nintendo exclusive, and will likely remain so until someone can prise it from Satoru Iwata's cold dead fingers. Neither of the Portable Ops games are in there either, but their canonicity has always been a sticky issue.

"We wanted to give Metal Gear Solid fans the opportunity to experience the series from beginning to end, all on one console," said Konami president Tomoyuki Tsuboi. "With the collection's multiple titles, players can truly see how Metal Gear Solid evolved into the critically acclaimed and beloved franchise it is today."

At this point, most Metal Gear fans will own multiple copies of each game in the series, so the bundle's sales potential will likely be determined by two factors; How much it costs and how fancy the box is. If I recall correctly, this will be my fourth copy of MGS3, so that box had best be at least moderately fancy if Konami wants my hard-earned dollars.

Source: IGN [http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/04/22/metal-gear-legacy-collection-outed-by-korean-ratings-board?abthid=5175810906c8788b3100000b]

Dr Pussymagnet

a real piece of shit
Dec 20, 2007
The lack of Twin Snakes kinda blows, but I'm not losing any sleep over Portable Ops.

Still, this is a pretty damn sweet bundle. Glad I held out on the previous HD collection.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Copies of MGS3 is kind of like dakka.

You can never have enough.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Eh, I don't mind not getting The Twin Snakes, it wasn't that good. I'm not referring to the Matrixxy cutscenes, the lack of non-American accents for female characters, or the all-around wooden voice acting, either. Between significantly smarter AI and an array of new moves, but no map design or enemy placement tweaks to match, the balance and difficulty curve of TTS was an all around disaster.

P.S. Thanks

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
Dr Pussymagnet said:
The lack of Twin Snakes kinda blows, but I'm not losing any sleep over Portable Ops.

Still, this is a pretty damn sweet bundle. Glad I held out on the previous HD collection.
See, I'm the opposite. Twin Snakes can go rot in a ditch with its bungled voice acting (character accents are gone), unneeded mechanics (game wasn't designed around hanging, first-person shooting, etc.), and dumb cutscene changes (back-flipping off of a missile? Really?). However, the lack of Portable Ops, even a straight port of it, is rather sad. I liked it a lot, and while it is questionably canon, it's still more relevant than the graphic novels. (Seriously, if you have all the games in one collection, you don't really NEED the graphic novels from a story standpoint. Heck, they even contradict the games sometimes, like with Snake being the one to defeat Solidus in the graphic novel of Sons of Liberty, whereas Raiden did it in the actual game.)

Still, might consider picking this up when it comes out, even though I bought the Essential Collection way back. Glad I held off on the HD Collection for PS3.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
You know what could increase sales? Release it on the 360! That's the most logical place for a collection like this anyway.

I've held off on the HD collection because people keep saying that MGS1 is the most important one and I really want to experience the full story. Plus even if I got my hands on a PS1 copy of MGS, I hear it's 50/50 whether or not it works on PS2. And my PS2 is picky to start with these days.

This cherry picking of which MGS's get a 360 release is putting me off playing them because it's such a story-heavy series.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Damn it. I actually like The Twin Snakes. I'd like to see that one on the same system as the others. Same with Portable Ops. I think I'll pass, considering that I've already got those games.

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
I find the lack of Metal Gear Solid rather disturbing since its already had multiple releases including being on the psn store so there is really no reason not to include it.

Capitano Segnaposto said:
Only Fourth? Ha!

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D
Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection PS3
Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection 360
Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection Vita (I don't even own a vita! Got it as a present Hehe)

So yea... I am excite. I will buy this just for my collection.
Was Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater 3D the one that came in the essentials collection for the ps2 or is that a different one?

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
The future of Metal Gear Solid, eternal re-releases in slightly different boxes. Genius! It would have been good if it came with MGSV though. I'd throw some nanomachines at that kind of bundleage.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Frontastic said:
I've held off on the HD collection because people keep saying that MGS1 is the most important one and I really want to experience the full story. Plus even if I got my hands on a PS1 copy of MGS, I hear it's 50/50 whether or not it works on PS2. And my PS2 is picky to start with these days.
MGS works on the fat PS2s flawlessly, on the skinny ones, when it feels like it.

I want it on my PC! The Xbox went to Ebay after Halo 4 convinced me I was done with it. MGS and 2 are out for it, but the others aren't (not counting emulators). Which annoys me!

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
Huh? It was released on the 3DS not too long ago.
Oh I didnt know that I dont pay attention to Nintendo release. I wasnt sure which version it was so I thought it might have been the one that came with the ps2 collection. After a quick look it appears that the ps2 collection one was just the subsistance version.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Frontastic said:
You know what could increase sales? Release it on the 360! That's the most logical place for a collection like this anyway.

This cherry picking of which MGS's get a 360 release is putting me off playing them because it's such a story-heavy series.
It has mgs4 so not much chance sorry.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Does Sony have some sort of exclusivity deal on MGS4 or something? Because surely the one group it would make sense for a collection like this to be made for is people on Xbox 360, who have no way of playing it (and 1, but with Twin Snakes for Gamecube I couldn't class that as Sony-exclusive)

It just seems daft.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Why sell your consoles? Why not keep them around for when you feel like playing them? Never understood that "toss it when done" mentality.
I did the same with my 360 recently. There's just never nothing worthwhile playing on it

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
They should really re release Twin Snakes, I would really like to be able to play that game portable, at the very least. Without Twin Snakes, this collection seems to be redundant.

Capcha: Circle of Life
huh....

King of Wei

Jan 13, 2011
Kinda cool, kinda unnecessary too, but kinda cool. I misplaced my HD collection so the only way I'd buy this is if I can't find it.

VR missions... only fun part I remember from that game was the detective style missions. Everything else about that game was horrible.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
So essentially these are all just things you could previously get easily on PSN, now in a "bundle"? Meh. Had my hopes up that there might be something new.