Konami Releasing Yet Another Metal Gear Solid Collection

Gmans uncle

Oct 17, 2011
This is actually perfect for me!
Even though I already own MGS 1-4 and Peace Walker, I don't own any of the substance games (meaning I've never owned MGS3 substance and therefore never played Metal Gear 1 or 2), I've never played the VR expansion of MGS1, My PS2 disk of MGS2 barely functions anymore (even after I had it resurfaced it still freezes up right before fighting Solidus, which is INCREDIBLY aggravating), and personally I feel Peace Walker controls like CRAP on the PSP (but I've never liked the PSP so there's that).
If this whole collection is 60 bucks or less, I think that'll definitely be picking it up.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I would buy it if I didn't have all of those games already.

I still have the collection for the PS2.
I have MGS4, no-trophies one (No biggie)
I still have the MGS HD collection with Peace Walker.

The only thing I'd like are the Ashley Wood novels. But still, pretty sweet deal.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
Does Sony have some sort of exclusivity deal on MGS4 or something?
MGS 4 is allegedly 50GB in size (some sources state it's more like 33GB) which would mean that a single game in this collection would take up multiple DVDs on it's own.

I might actually get this. I don't own MGS3 Subsistence, MGS4 or Peace Walker so it's actually kind of a good deal for me... assuming it's at normal retail prices, that is.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Andy Shandy said:
Does Sony have some sort of exclusivity deal on MGS4 or something? Because surely the one group it would make sense for a collection like this to be made for is people on Xbox 360, who have no way of playing it (and 1, but with Twin Snakes for Gamecube I couldn't class that as Sony-exclusive)

It just seems daft.
I think it's the fact that MGS4 takes up 50gb of storage space, whereas the Xbox DVDs can only store about 10gb of data. So to put MGS4 and the rest on the system they would have to make a collection with six discs, which would be a ***** in production costs.

OT: I already own the first 4 on their original consoles, the HD collection on the PS3 (and Vita) and Peace Walker on the Vita. All I need to get is Portable Ops and Twin Snakes (the latter of which being a ***** to find cheap) and I'll have pretty much all of the games.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
Does Sony have some sort of exclusivity deal on MGS4 or something? Because surely the one group it would make sense for a collection like this to be made for is people on Xbox 360, who have no way of playing it (and 1, but with Twin Snakes for Gamecube I couldn't class that as Sony-exclusive)

It just seems daft.
Well MGS 4 does have a part of the gameplay designed around the six axis controls at one point so that could be why konami won't release it on the 360.

OT: I will probably get this because I don't own the vr missions but aside from that I could pass unless it includes more features from Substance and Subsistance then the HD Collection had.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Frontastic said:
You know what could increase sales? Release it on the 360! That's the most logical place for a collection like this anyway.
You're looking for sense in a kojima series.

...I think I see the problem there.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Why sell your consoles? Why not keep them around for when you feel like playing them? Never understood that "toss it when done" mentality.
Because I was done with it. I'd had it three years, played the entirety of Mass Effect and the 360 Halos on it and there nothing (literally nothing) on the horizon that looked even vaguely interesting.

I'd basically kept it to keep playing Halo, but I found 4 deathly dull and I have CE on my PC. No point keeping it around as a paperweight. There haven't been any 360 games that I've found completely indispensable, ODST came close, mighty close, but Compared to my Cube, PS2 and N64 it couldn't justify it's space under the telly.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
Does Sony have some sort of exclusivity deal on MGS4 or something?
Sony execs have Kojima's kitten hostage.

Well, it's a cat now.

ToastiestZombie said:
I think it's the fact that MGS4 takes up 50gb of storage space, whereas the Xbox DVDs can only store about 10gb of data. So to put MGS4 and the rest on the system they would have to make a collection with six discs, which would be a ***** in production costs.

OT: I already own the first 4 on their original consoles, the HD collection on the PS3 (and Vita) and Peace Walker on the Vita. All I need to get is Portable Ops and Twin Snakes (the latter of which being a ***** to find cheap) and I'll have pretty much all of the games.
It's unlikely that, despite the claims it's true, MGS 4 actually needs anywhere near the full space of a BD ROM. However, when you shave that away, it gets worse.

Let's consider that the 360 doesn't utuilise a full DVD-9, and then throw in the fact that there is always some redundancy between discs. Some assets now need to be repeated. This usually accounts for a sizable chunk of the disc.

Yeah, if it's anywhere near 50 GB, it'd take more than six discs. I would double that number if the 50 GB isn't padding.

That being said, I do think it's a load of crap. Sort of like when Bioware made people download a padding file to make it look like ME3 DLC wasn't already on-disc (or at least, large portions of it). "We've filled a Blu Ray" sounds impressive and it's the sort of technical masturbation Kojima might involve himself in. Especially as he was already being ridiculed for his statements on the PS3.

The

Jan 24, 2012
A few questions for MGS fans.

I hear that chronologically, the games follow a different order (MGS3 is the first one, I think, and it ends with 4). Should I play it in order of release, or chronologically?

Does MGS: VR Missions have much to do with the story, or is it just what it sounds like?

Also, since Twin Snakes and Portable Ops aren't in this collection, am I missing much from them?

Thanks.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
ScrabbitRabbit said:
ToastiestZombie said:
Snipped 2: Electric Boogaloo
Ah, well then makes some sort of sense then. 5/6 discs may be quite a lot to add for one game, for what a collection that will already have a lot of discs.

I was unaware just quite how huge MGS4 was, although it does explain the install times being long as shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Mrkillhappy said:
Snipped 3: With A Vengeance
Also a fair point, what would we do without the ability to jiggle Rose's boobs =P

[sub]There's probably a feature I'm completely forgetting, but all I remember was the boob-jiggling ability XD [/sub]

Zachary Amaranth said:
Snipped 4: A New Hope
Honestly, that would not surprise me if that was the official reason given if they were ever asked about it.

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Always loved the MGS series, even with some of the stupidity injected directly from outer space. But, I'm kinda getting sick of Kojima's shit. Especially his raging hard on for all things Sony. Other platforms do exist, but his "not if I have anything to say about it" attitude just smells of pretentious asshat-ery.

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
Andy Shandy said:
Mrkillhappy said:
Snipped 3: With A Vengeance
Also a fair point, what would we do without the ability to jiggle Rose's boobs =P

[sub]There's probably a feature I'm completely forgetting, but all I remember was the boob-jiggling ability XD [/sub]
Yeah their is
In the screaming mantis fight you throttle her if you have the psycho mantis doll.
Though I forgot about the Rose boob thing. XD

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I already have all the games.

But I might buy this anyway because The Fury boss fight on the PS2 version of MGS3 has real bad frame rate issues on the PS3.

Plus it IS MGS3.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
The said:

I hear that chronologically, the games follow a different order (MGS3 is the first one, I think, and it ends with 4). Should I play it in order of release, or chronologically?

Does MGS: VR Missions have much to do with the story, or is it just what it sounds like?

Also, since Twin Snakes and Portable Ops aren't in this collection, am I missing much from them?

Thanks.
You can play them chronologically to get the story in that manner, or you can do order of release. Order of release makes the game's overall story feel like what would happen if a massive movie franchise spanned 30 years with a couple of canon spinoffs.

Both would seem to be fun, but playing by chronological order would be more cohesive. The only concise media franchise that I can think of that say its been as consistent with its own universe for as long has to go to Doctor Who, and that says something.

Not Star Wars, Not Star Trek, not Final Fantasy, not even other major franchises can say that they've kept a good lid on their universe for as long as Doctor Who and Metal Gear. Dragon Quest is another exception. The Metal Gear Series is grand on probably one of the most epic of levels. I'd be hard pressed to find another video game series that has gone on for this long and stayed connected with no reboot.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
The said:

Thanks.
I would play them in release order purely for gameplay reasons, while MGS was a good game when it came out it's aged pretty badly so playing MGS3 first and then going back to MGS 1 and 2 would just be a bit jarring.

OT: I'm now glad I held off on getting the HD collection, this seems like a better bundle

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
I will be selling my HD collection and MGS 4 to buy this one I guess, but The first one is HD or just the PSOne Classic?

If it's the PSOne... Can I assume it's a voucher to download it from the store instead of a physical disk?

Too bad about Twin Snakes and Portable Ops, I wanted them in my collection...

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Is there any chance of the re-released MGS1 being Integral, instead of just the base game + the VR Missions disc from Integral? Seems like there were some changes to the base game in Integral that still haven't made it to the US.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
"We wanted to give Metal Gear Solid fans the opportunity to experience the series from beginning to end, all on one console," said Konami president Tomoyuki Tsuboi.
Erm, how about giving everyone the opportunity to experience the series on multiple consoles? Metal Gear Solid is a franchise I've been interested in getting into recently, having never played any of them, but the series's length and age have been a barrier, and the HD Collection doesn't suffice because it bewilderingly doesn't include the first game. This would be the answer to all my problems if it wasn't exclusive to the PS3, and as the article points out, the longtime Metal Gear Solid fans who can be relied upon to have a PS3 all probably own at least one copy of most of the included games. Given that this is a rerelease, this seems like a golden opportunity to reach out to audiences that didn't get to experience many of these games the first time around - which the exclusivity totally squanders.