Konami Releasing Yet Another Metal Gear Solid Collection

Trueflame

Apr 16, 2013
I just have two questions. Are the VR missions just going to be for MGS, or are they going to include the MGS2 ones that the HD Collection had?

And will the MGS game be an HD re-release too, like the others? Or is it seriously going to be PS1 quality?

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
We will drag this HD collection into the 21st century, BROTHA!

I give my money, not to rent, but to yooouuu. Konami.

OK, I'm out. I have been looking at the HD collection for the 360. Two Best Friends have gotten me interested in the series but I've never been able to play them before.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Well, given:
I already got the HD collection a few months ago, which had MGS2, 3 and peacewalker
I already got MGS1 via digital download
I already have MGS4
AND that the PS4 is not backwards compatible, meaning I can't even play them all on the next gen via this disk

I'm gonna have to pass on this because it offers me nothing I don't already have. Which is sad, because if it was for the PS4, I might have been sold... again.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
JarinArenos said:
No original MGS in any form (twin snakes or otherwise), no money from me.
Mind reading the first post again?

Dr Pussymagnet said:
The Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection, a PS3 exclusive set to arrive June 2013, includes Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, Metal gear Solid 2: HD Edition, Metal gear Solid 3: HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid 4: Trophy Edition and two of Ashley Wood's Metal Gear Solid graphic novels.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Well, I never did get around to picking up MGS3. Maybe I'll get it this way.

But then again, I don't feel like paying for the mess that was MGS4 again.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Zachary Amaranth said:
Frontastic said:
You know what could increase sales? Release it on the 360! That's the most logical place for a collection like this anyway.
You're looking for sense in a kojima series.

...I think I see the problem there.
Haha, touché sir, touché. Sigh, curse you Kojima...

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
bluegate said:
JarinArenos said:
Mind reading the first post again?

Dr Pussymagnet said:
The Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection, a PS3 exclusive set to arrive June 2013, includes Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions, Metal gear Solid 2: HD Edition, Metal gear Solid 3: HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Edition, Metal Gear Solid 4: Trophy Edition and two of Ashley Wood's Metal Gear Solid graphic novels.
You're right, I skipped right over that. I saw the HD versions of 2 and 3 and the "no twin snakes" comment and missed that somehow.

Still a real pity that they can't even give it a texture update, but at least it's in there.

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
I think what some people here are forgetting is that a lot of developers in Japan find the XBOX 360 a complete waste of time.

Given, it would help to get more Western appeal. But this is a pretty normal mentality that making the effort of developing for the XBOX 360 isn't worth it.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
This is actually pretty awesome.

I've been wanting to get into Metal Gear Solid for a while now, and having (almost) all of the games in one place is super convenient.

One question, though. The first HD collection had Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2, right? Is that still going to be included?

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
The said:
A few questions for MGS fans.

I hear that chronologically, the games follow a different order (MGS3 is the first one, I think, and it ends with 4). Should I play it in order of release, or chronologically?

Does MGS: VR Missions have much to do with the story, or is it just what it sounds like?

Also, since Twin Snakes and Portable Ops aren't in this collection, am I missing much from them?

Thanks.
Since it has the original Metal Gear Solid instead of Twin Snakes, then like Dragoon said it'd probably be best to go in order of release if just for the fact that the gameplay is vastly improved in each sequel. Twin Snakes reworked the mechanics of the original MGS to be more like 2: Sons of Liberty, and then 3: Subsistence uses an actual third-person camera instead of fixed angles (though I believe there's an option to go back to the fixed angles, because Snake Eater originally released with a camera much like 2), and 4: Guns of the Patriots introduces crouched walking and an actual over-the-shoulder aiming camera.

MGS and 2 are very much products of their time, though, so it takes a bit of doing to get past the admittedly dated mechanics.

OT: I already own the HD collection and 4 on the PS3, so I'm not sure... but I do love me some Metal Gear and having them all handy in one collection... depends on how much it costs, I think.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
Andy Shandy said:
Does Sony have some sort of exclusivity deal on MGS4 or something?
Sony execs have Kojima's kitten hostage.

Well, it's a cat now.

ToastiestZombie said:
I think it's the fact that MGS4 takes up 50gb of storage space, whereas the Xbox DVDs can only store about 10gb of data. So to put MGS4 and the rest on the system they would have to make a collection with six discs, which would be a ***** in production costs.

OT: I already own the first 4 on their original consoles, the HD collection on the PS3 (and Vita) and Peace Walker on the Vita. All I need to get is Portable Ops and Twin Snakes (the latter of which being a ***** to find cheap) and I'll have pretty much all of the games.
It's unlikely that, despite the claims it's true, MGS 4 actually needs anywhere near the full space of a BD ROM. However, when you shave that away, it gets worse.

Let's consider that the 360 doesn't utuilise a full DVD-9, and then throw in the fact that there is always some redundancy between discs. Some assets now need to be repeated. This usually accounts for a sizable chunk of the disc.

Yeah, if it's anywhere near 50 GB, it'd take more than six discs. I would double that number if the 50 GB isn't padding.

That being said, I do think it's a load of crap. Sort of like when Bioware made people download a padding file to make it look like ME3 DLC wasn't already on-disc (or at least, large portions of it). "We've filled a Blu Ray" sounds impressive and it's the sort of technical masturbation Kojima might involve himself in. Especially as he was already being ridiculed for his statements on the PS3.
Or it's not padding and all the audio and such has like no compression. Thats why Killzone 3 takes up something like 46GB, nothing is compressed, just left raw.

OT: I may pick this up dependant on opulence at the time or release..

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
JarinArenos said:
Still a real pity that they can't even give it a texture update, but at least it's in there.
It sure is.. They've got most assets of the game already in MGS4, I wish they'd go the extra half mile and fully remake the first game using the MGS4 engine... That would be amazing and it'd probably sell like hotcakes.

YazBar

Jun 23, 2010
JarinArenos said:
I believe according to the original post (is the what OT stands for?!), the original MGS is included.

YazBar

Jun 23, 2010
The said:
A few questions for MGS fans.

I hear that chronologically, the games follow a different order (MGS3 is the first one, I think, and it ends with 4). Should I play it in order of release, or chronologically?

Does MGS: VR Missions have much to do with the story, or is it just what it sounds like?

Also, since Twin Snakes and Portable Ops aren't in this collection, am I missing much from them?

Thanks.
I'd say slay them by release, trust me, get MGS1 out of the way. I beat it only a few months ago, and let me tell you while the stealth works well, some of the boss battles can be obnoxiously difficult for control reasons (makes Demon's/Dark Souls seem easy in comparison).

So in conclusion, if you're gonna play MGS1 mainly for the story, I recommend breezing through on easy mode (especially since you're new to the series' mechanics).