Kotick: New IPs Aren't Given Away, They're Earned

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Jaredin said:
Korten12 said:
oh shut-up Kotick, people should be able to make a new IP regardless.
Agreed.

he needs to get his out out of his backside and live in the real world....
You mean the real world in which taking too many risks will result in your company going to shit? The real world where not everyone gets a chance at success despite what irrational dreamers might think? The real world where funding for a game doesn't just appear out of nowhere?

Is that the real world you want Kotick to start living in? Because I think he's miles ahead of you.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Le_Lisra said:
Shut up you silly man...
He's not really silly. His job is to try and make as much money as he can. I can assume he's fairly good at this, being the CEO and all. As for his actual strategy, it's been tried and tested for hundreds of years and guess what? It works. In fact, the recent demise of All Points Bulletin shows this: new stuff is risky and is more likely to fail than a franchise.

So no, he's not silly at all.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Robot Overlord said:
John Funk said:
Wow.

The man actually says something completely reasonable - games are expensive to bankroll, if you want to try something new you need to show me that you have earned the millions of dollars we are going to risk by supporting your completely untested new project - and people still leap on the guy like he just said, "Yeah, we believe that if you get a new IP you need to ravage the corpse of Mother Theresa with the still-beating heart of a newborn puppy."

Really?

Yeah, I know gamers hate him, but can we back off the mob mentality for a little bit and focus on what's being said instead of who's saying it?
So if studios who haven't earned those millions didn't get a chance to try out their original ideas and instead were forced by Activision to make Guitar Hero 851 or what ever it's called it doesn't really help his case
And when you're running an international multibillion-dollar corporation that employs thousands of people worldwide, you can take all the risks with your investors' money that you like.

And see how quickly you get kicked out.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
John Funk said:
It's way simpler than that. As I understand it, a studio can choose to work on something safe (a sequel) or something risky (a new IP). If they decide they want to make a new IP, they have to prove to the people funding them that they can be successful in order to justify the risk. If they can, they get the green light. If they can't justify it, they don't.
Wouldn't you agree, though, that it would be better for everyone if Activision was like, "So you want to make a big-budget new IP? Well, here's a small budget. Make a successful new XBLA-sized game, and we can talk." Rather than "Congratulations, the tenth game in your well-established, popular series made millions. Here's a ton of money to try something new."

ItsAChiaotzu

Apr 20, 2009
When did the Escapist become Twitter for freakin' Bob Kotick?

But, for what it's worth, this sounds pretty damn reasonable to me.

Nova_Sagara

Dec 11, 2007
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
John Funk said:
It's way simpler than that. As I understand it, a studio can choose to work on something safe (a sequel) or something risky (a new IP). If they decide they want to make a new IP, they have to prove to the people funding them that they can be successful in order to justify the risk. If they can, they get the green light. If they can't justify it, they don't.
Wouldn't you agree, though, that it would be better for everyone if Activision was like, "So you want to make a big-budget new IP? Well, here's a small budget. Make a successful new XBLA-sized game, and we can talk." Rather than "Congratulations, the tenth game in your well-established, popular series made millions. Here's a ton of money to try something new."
Makes perfect sense to me

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
John Funk said:
While I admit to having no experience in the development of games, I don't think that letting someone develop a simple game with barely any time restraints is going to prove that they can handle a large budget and a large development team with the intent of making a new IP.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
John Funk said:
Sure. As I understand it, though (and this is going to of course depend on who you believe), the onus is on the developer to say "this is what we want to work on."

But, as Hubilub said above, you also need to prove that you can manage yourself fiscally. Can you meet deadlines, can you stay within budget, can you run three large teams all working together on making a game? It isn't just "how good are you at making a final product," it's "how well do you work"?

Cherry Cola

Jun 26, 2009
ItsAChiaotzu said:
When did the Escapist become Twitter for freakin' Bob Kotick?
Since it was universally accepted that Bobby Kotick is to be hated and flamed at every opportunity.

Now all news about Kotick are good news!

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
John Funk said:
unabomberman said:
He speaks in odd forking ways.

Is it so unsurprising that people would rather do something safe and almost guaranteed to be successful? That's just human nature.
Human nature also compels people to speak logically most of the time. Whether he plays it "safe" or not is not what I was targeting. His stupid manner of speech was. For someone with so much responsibility on a company and a recent propensity to get into public bouts with others, it seems to me as if he really doesn't think before he opens his mouth.

That's what bothered me about him, not necessarily his perceived character in the media (or lack of it).

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
dastardly said:
Tom Goldman said:
Kotick: New IPs Aren't Given Away, They're Earned

If an Activision studio hasn't proven its worth, it won't be creating a new IP.

Activision CEO Bobby Kotick says it likes the company's studios to retain their identities, but they might have to earn the right to do so first. Despite criticizing EA [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103781-Kotick-Takes-a-Swing-at-EA] for not allowing its studios to retain their "independent vision," that same vision at Activision appears to come with a cost.

Speaking in Edge magazine, Kotick says that studios usually have to be "successful" to be able to go and create a new IP. "In the last year, we've taken four or five big bets - Blur [http://www.amazon.com/Singularity-Bonus-Exclusive-Graphic-Playstation-3/dp/B003M2T8IS/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285682575&sr=8-2] were completely new," he said. "That's more than we usually would do, but in each case there was a very good reason why the developer chose to do it."

But these IPs aren't just given away. "Our process isn't that we say, 'Neversoft, you make a new IP,'" he continued. "When they wanted to make Gun [http://www.amazon.com/Gun-Xbox-360/dp/B0009Z3I0A/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1285682591&sr=1-1], they certainly earned the right to make new IP. They came in and said, 'This is our idea,' and we provide a lot of the research that will tell them how to think about the product."

"Then they go off and make the game they want to make, and we try and be supportive. You have to earn the right to do that, so it's usually the really successful studios that get the right."

He then says that typically Activision's successful studios haven't wanted to make anything else other than what made them popular. "The really insightful developers realise that the pathway to innovation is greater from a proven property that has an audience... There are so few new IPs that are introduced successfully."

Doesn't this sound a little bit like Activision allows an "independent vision" with reluctance? It's smart business sense, but with Kotick saying that EA stifles its studios by making them follow EA's rules, it seems somewhat hypocritical from a company doing that appears to be the same thing.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=266952]

On this one, I disagree.

He's got to ride the line between the game design innovators and the wallets that front the money and expect a return. Yes, he's a PR buffoon, but in this case he's right.

EA tends to absorb studios and make them all work and design like they were EA all along. Activision absorbs them, but provides more internal freedom. Of course the freedom will have boundaries, because Activision wants to know that the dollars they're sending out will be coming back with buddies.

He's dead-on to say that the possibilities for innovation are greater within an existing IP, from a development standpoint. You want to try some new game mechanic? Okay... but why not package the UNfamiliar in something the audience can relate to? Now they have a REASON to take a risk on buying the new thing. And then once it's been tested, you can use that newfound familiarity to introduce your new, untested IP.

EA's stance seems to be "no risks, period." Release the same sports game fitty-leven times and charge for each. Activision's stance, as described by Kotick in this article, is "Let's stick with one risk at a time for now."
You're definitely right, but my view is that Kotick shouldn't make it seem as if Activision studios have all the freedom in the world when he's criticizing another company for running studios as they see fit. They both do the same thing, maybe in a different way, but it's the same thing. Whether you're telling a company what it can create, or managing how they create it, you're still controlling that developer in a significant way.

ndarkie89

Feb 11, 2009
Sure, Activision greenlighted Singularity and put it out on the streets but that is where their support ended. Activision did absolutely NOTHING to promote or support this game! If I didn't read gaming magazines or watch gaming tv shows which had interviews w/ the developer, Raven Software, I would have never even known of this game's existence. This lack of support is inexcusable for a developer that has been in Activision's stable for years!

Was the game perfect; definitely not. Was it a solid game that was worth my time playing; absolutely!

Why would Activision publish a game and then not support it? Regardless of Dan Amrick's "party line" answer given in his podcast, we will likely never know the true reason. I, however, have a suspicion that it may involve developer bonuses based on game sales. I repeat, this is just MY thought.

Bobby Kotick is a hypocritical dimwit who has absolutely no idea what it takes to develop a game and has no place in the gaming industry! Although I find his ludicrous antics and comments amusing, I, for one, cannot wait for the day that he is silenced!

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
ChromeAlchemist said:
It's funny because it's true, he's gotten to the point where he makes so much money he doesn't even give a crap what he says. He could easily say "all of our target audience are drones" and it wouldn't matter.
I'd really pay and wish to see how things would turn out is Activision went bankrupt in a day.
It's not that I hate Activision or that I want it gone, it's just that I wonder how Kotick would cope with being poor/not that rich any more... Would that make him less of a jerk? Unfortunately I doubt we'll ever know.

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
Can we just have one continuous news story: "Kotick Still Be Runnin' His Mouth" and just update every time a self-righteous comment comes out of this douche's mouth.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
John Funk said:
unabomberman said:
He speaks in odd forking ways.

Is it so unsurprising that people would rather do something safe and almost guaranteed to be successful? That's just human nature.
People? No. Management? Sure.

This whole thing does strike me as more than slightly wacky given the allegations coming from the smoldering ruins of Infinity Ward that what they wanted was to work on new IPs.

TheGuy(wantstobe)

Dec 8, 2009
Bobby Kotick said:
and we provide a lot of the research that will tell them how to think about the product.
Am I the only one going "huwaaaaa?" at this line? Isnt that basically saying if you create a new IP we'll tell you how to think about, how to design it, what to use in plot/action etc turning what could be a genuinely good new idea into a new name on something else?

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
So Kotick is a Nazi then? "ONLY THE STRONG SHALL BE ALLOWED TO HAVE GLORY! ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE, THE WEAK DON'T DISERVE A CHANCE!" Kotick please die..... Soon....

Edit: Wait so the IPs they let out this year were Singularity, Prototype, DJ Hero and Blur? So a Bioshock rip off, a Crack Down/Mercanaries rip off, another fucking rythm game and a Mario Cart rip off? Whatever, this man makes my skin crawl....

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
rockyoumonkeys said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Little off subject, but what game is that in the screen shot?
Singularity. Pretty great game, actually, though 100% a Bioshock ripoff.
Ahh, thanks. I did love BioShock, so I'll probably enjoy this too, and it looks pretty cool. I just don't really have much free time and a ton of games that I've bought and still haven't touched, so... come on cheap Steam sale in the future when I get free time!

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
This might be really interesting to industry analysts and games writers, but I really really don't care about whatever Kotick says ever, reasonable or not.

Maybe the time spent writing this and responding to those of us who are tired of seeing his name every day could be spent on something interesting. Please.

Rallion

Aug 10, 2009
Working with established IPs is risky too, just in a different way. If the game sucks, it does damage to the franchise's appeal.