Kotick: Only 30% of Activision's Profits Come from Consoles

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Hey Blizzard, fancy detaching yourself from Vivendi? Go on, just for a year or so. You'll be fine, I know you will.

Calumon: You'll make more money and do the world a favour! ^^
Seriously! Blizzard could step out on their own and they'd be fine. They'd have to hire some extra personnel and staff to help fill in all those spots that Activision or Viviendi filled (probably not much), but I'm sure they could make it.

Gindil

Nov 28, 2009
elvor0 said:
tellmeimaninja said:
Well, when Activision owns things that have a massive PC fanbase and it overcharges the crap out of all of them, it's not that hard to believe.
£9 a month being really expensive and extortionate right?
Quite. If you compare their antics to those of other companies [http://www.teamfortress.com/119/], it's highway robbery what they give you for that amount.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Gindil said:
elvor0 said:
tellmeimaninja said:
Well, when Activision owns things that have a massive PC fanbase and it overcharges the crap out of all of them, it's not that hard to believe.
Quite. If you compare their antics to those of other companies [http://www.teamfortress.com/119/], it's highway robbery what they give you for that amount.
Oh please. Do you really think Valve is updating TF2 out of the goodness of its heart? No, it keeps you on Steam so you buy stuff there, which they get a cut of. That's your TF2 subscription right there.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
AngryMongoose said:
I swear like, yesterday, you reported that 70% of activisions profits game from PCs...
"Only 30% of Activision's Profits Come from Consoles"

What's one hundred minus thirty? Last I checked, that was, in fact, 70.

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
I still think the other 70% comes from Activision's human-trafficking and drug departments.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Gindil said:
elvor0 said:
tellmeimaninja said:
Valve also get money from advertising, and selling other games quite reguarly, Blizzard haven't bought a new game out in yonks, and they also have to keep the WoW servers up, (which is damn expensive) something Valve doesn't have to, because people pay for their own dedicated servers, they really haven't added anywhere near as much as WoW has, they have a massive MASSIVE customer support team that has to be on 24/7 to pay, etc etc.

tellmeimaninja said:
elvor0 said:
tellmeimaninja said:
A tad more so than 0, yes.

That and the expansions people are charged for. And the games where they raise the price on things they know will sell to see how much they can get away with.
Blizzard have never raised the price on things, so Im not quite sure where you got that idea from, sure they sell horses and pets for real money now, but that's the ony way to get them, and it's your choice whether or not you have them, and they don't effect you in away beside cosmetically. (If you're on about starcraft 2, we know full well that each one is bigger than SC1 on it's own, and thus is a standalone game in it's own right)

Also, what you don't expect expansion pack to be payed for? Most MMOs bar say charge for thier expansion packs, namely because it's a fucking massive amount of content, which people have to spend many months making. I fully expect to be charged for it to be fair, but y'know...im ENTITLED TO FREE CONTENT DAMN IT!!!

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
John Funk said:
Gindil said:
elvor0 said:
tellmeimaninja said:
Oh please. Do you really think Valve is updating TF2 out of the goodness of its heart? No, it keeps you on Steam so you buy stuff there, which they get a cut of. That's your TF2 subscription right there.
Beat me to it John.

I can't remember where I read it, but the servers keeping WoW running cost on the order of $136,000 per DAY to operate. Somebody has to foot the bill here, and it's good business for that bill to be paid by the players.

Asturiel

the God of Pants
Nov 24, 2009
Good to know who really pays the bills.

But geez, I would have thought that Activision would be doing a little more... This should be proof enough that Blizzard doesn't need anybody but themselves (and WoW).

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
If Blizzard broke away from Activision, the latter would likely crumble. The loss of that much revenue would likely drive their greed through the roof, worsening their already bad image and driving more customers away.

Pair that with the loss of Infinity Ward, The company would either go through some massive shrinkage, or outright fold.

Activision can shit on their customers because there are enough people out there buying into it. I couldn't believe they were charging for the map packs, and I never got why people actually bought them. As long as people keep paying them, Activision will never stop doing things like this.

Killercheesepuff

Oct 18, 2008
Since I hate activision I can only hope that Blizzard leaves and activision will die. If not.. then the next best thing would be TOR to kill WoW. which would be a shame because I really like Blizzard.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
MurderousToaster said:
AngryMongoose said:
I swear like, yesterday, you reported that 70% of activisions profits game from PCs...
"Only 30% of Activision's Profits Come from Consoles"

What's one hundred minus thirty? Last I checked, that was, in fact, 70.
Yes, it is 70. I was not debating that. I was pointing out the fact that they reported the same story with mildly different wording 2 days in a row.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Jaredin said:
It is true...Blizzard and the WoW subsciptions are ptolly paying for alot of what they do...

And although only 30% comes from consoles, thats still a large piece of damage if that was to diminish
Time to get out the voodoo gear and get rid of WoW's user base - sorry WoW players, but you are giving Activison a life line.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
So WoW is feeding Bobby Kotick every night? FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PEOPLE, STOP PLAYING WOW! Maybe that insufferable bastard will die.

Jun 11, 2008
John Funk said:
Gindil said:
elvor0 said:
tellmeimaninja said:
Well infairness while that is true that is lot more of situational income than anything else. No one wants people to stop playing their games. While Valve do do the updates to make money with people buying TF2 and spin off purchases Activision is much more malicious with the way they act about it. Especially since they like to piss off the people who roughly provide 70% of t heir income. The way he is going on about CoD subs just adds to this really. The game does not need subs the day I buy another CoD game while Kotick is at Activision is the day I get a brain haemorrage. Let see what would happen if they tried to get rid of dedicated servers for something like WoW and see what it does to their income.

OT: I hope Blizzard leaves Activion and takes all the income away from them leaving them as the shallow, greedy husk the publisher has become in recent years.