KVM switch question

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I'm redoing my PC set up, and I need to buy a KVM switch to make it work.

I currently use a single 144hz 34" ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor, which is connected to my gaming PC and my company laptop using displayport (the laptop does not have a DP port but does have a thunderbolt port that I'm able to use with a DP to thunderbolt cable), and I just manually unplug my keyboard and mouse and switch them between the computers as necessary.

I would like to add a second 144hz 27" 2560x1440 monitor to this set up, and a KVM switch to pass through both monitors to both computers, and to pass the keyboard and mouse input through as well. Obviously I need all monitors to output in their maximum resolutions, and with my gaming PC to work at their highest refresh rate, and I'm trying to find a KVM switch that won't interfere with that but I'm having some trouble.

I found the following on amazon:

www.amazon.com/dp/B089LXG2W9/

but it's an older model that only supports displayport 1.2 and usb 2.0.

Anyone here use KVM switches and know of one that would fit my requirements?

Last edited:

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I’ve used a lot of KVM switches in office settings and while I’m pretty sure they can do high resolutions, I can’t speak to refresh rates. Mainly because they’re productivity devices rather than performance ones. Also they can be quite finicky with the use of adapters. Honestly in your case you’d save time and money by just finding some kind of KB/M switch box and keeping your laptop and PC connected on different inputs on the monitor.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
I’ve used a lot of KVM switches in office settings and while I’m pretty sure they can do high resolutions, I can’t speak to refresh rates. Mainly because they’re productivity devices rather than performance ones. Also they can be quite finicky with the use of adapters. Honestly in your case you’d save time and money by just finding some kind of KB/M switch box and keeping your laptop and PC connected on different inputs on the monitor.
Was doing some more research and found this:

www.amazon.com/dp/B07MMZ1W1Q

Which I think meets my requirements of a KVM switch that allows me to use my 2k monitors at 144hz, thou it still looks to only be DP 1.2 and USB 2.0.

Saving money isn't really an issue for me in this case because the company I work for will just reimburse me as it's a "productivity tool."