L.A. Noire Creator's New Project Named Whore of the Orient

Australian Justice
Jan 30, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Given McNamara's abusive personality, it's probably best he stick with whores.
you believe everything thats written on the internet? I'm just saying you haven't even met the bloke, and your going off reports of anonymous whistleblowers. just don't make assumptions. sorry i just get annoyed by small things.

OT: well L.A Noire was fantastic. i dunno if his next game will be good, but I'm sold on the whores bit.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
D0WNT0WN said:
Whore of the Orient sounds like a book by Agatha Christie.

Time to curl our 'staches gentlemen.

See, that's something I can get behind! And yes, yes it does sound like a book by Agatha Christie.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
While I generally like the title "Whore of the Orient" in reference to Shanghai (obvious connotations notwithstanding), if they intend to try and make a game revolving around the seedy part of Shanghai in the early 1900's, I actually think I'd prefer the name "Paris of the East". I dunno, it just strikes me as being the more ironic of the two nicknames, given what the game's content would include. Of course, that's just speculation on my part.

Plus, it probably wouldn't get anywhere near as much publicity as "Whore of the Orient" would.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
Happy Feet, a family film about cute dancing and singing penguins... --> Mad Max, an action movie that will undoubtably be turned into an action game... --> Whore of the Orient, which sounds like it will be a story-centric history-based realistic non-action game (IE: Similar vibes to LA Noir)...

So... is KMM an actual person? Because it sounds like they're going through a normal human's life cycle of favorite genres...

cynicalsaint1

Salvation a la Mode
Apr 1, 2010
So how did this jack-ass get work again?
I mean his former studio only managed to release one mediocre game in five years and had to drive his studio into the ground to do it. If that isn't the definition of having poor management skills I don't know what is.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Sooo, just from name alone his next project pretty much confirms that he is in fact the developmentally challenged psychotic sociopath that former Team Bondi employees have pretty much cast him as. Good job Team! Next up "Cannibalistic Baby Killer Super Rape Princess 3"! With Kinect support.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
LGC Pominator said:
Sixcess said:
Whore of the Orient?

Well that title seems certain to get changed before release. Leaving aside the obvious, 'Orient' is a somewhat archaic term, and regarded as mildly offensive by some these days.
To me it sounds more like a boat name,
I actually thought it was referring to the train.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
faefrost said:
Sooo, just from name alone his next project pretty much confirms that he is in fact the developmentally challenged psychotic sociopath that former Team Bondi employees have pretty much cast him as.
That's a little extreme, don't you think? It's a big stretch from "bad boss" to "psychotic sociopath."

Furthermore, we don't know anything about the game except the name, and I think it's a pretty good one. "Whore" is not an inherently offensive word. Jarring, perhaps, but so what? Nothing wrong with that once in awhile.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
ZenoX969 said:
So can we expect to see this game by 2019?
And not only that, but also a whole generation worth of young potential game developers, artists, designers, programmers, and so on, so burnt out from working with this insufferable slavedriver that they never want to work in the games industry again, so eight years worth of wasted potential, hurrah!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
"People are drifting to game acquisition because of the budgets. The cost of a film may be $170 million - twice that to market it - whereas the basic cost of making a game might be 10 per cent of that. Look at L.A. Noire, they sold about three million units in a week, about $135 million net revenue, off a cost base which was infinitely lower than even your average low-budget film."
So you openly admit that you make tons of money on us and then cry about piracy?
ok, sorry, wrong debate.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Whore of the Orient

Man behind L. A. Noire moves to the Far East.
Reading that first on the homepage had me coming into this article thinking you guys were simply calling Brendan McNamara a whore because he moved to the Orient... LOL

minuialear

Jun 15, 2010
D0WNT0WN said:
Whore of the Orient sounds like a book by Agatha Christie.

Time to curl our 'staches gentlemen.
I was thinking the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised that's not the only similarity between the two, considering he's probably making another crime/mystery game.

EDIT: While it's true that it doesn't cost as much to make a film as it does to make a game, I can't help but think his costs for L.A. Noire were so low because he allegedly treated a fair amount of the team like pack mules and because he allegedly didn't even pay his employees what they were promised (which again may have been lower than what they ought to have been paid for their time invested in the project).

purifico

Oct 29, 2009
I say old chap said:
Wow, what a crude naming choice.

20th century stereotypes on Asian women, for the win?
The title has nothing to do with wemen -_- Whore of the Orient is a nickname of Shanghai

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Intriguing title that will be changed the second it enters full development. Im already imaging a historic chinese setting and it's piqued my interest.