L.a. Noire probably wont sell.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
It's a Rockstar game, I'm sure it will sell just fine.
Oh, so much this.

There's a reason so many people think the game is made by Rockstar... it'll sell better than "A Team Bondi game".

After Red Dead Redemption, pretty much any game with the Rockstar name on it is going to sell at least relatively well.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Wait....I'm an RPG fan. Shit, I guess this means I won't be buying LA Noire then.

Awful shame considering I was quite looking forward to it. Cheers OP, you saved me ?50-?60.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
Outright Villainy said:
OutrageousEmu said:
ToonLink said:
This may be my fanboyism speaking here, but LA Noire is going to be game of the year. I can almost guarantee it.
Okay, no. Its good, I will give you that. Very very good, on any other year it would sweep the GOTYs. But 2011? This year? No, Uncharted 3 has that in the bag.
Wow sir, tell me where you get your games from the future!
No, from previews. Basically, the way I've seen it described, LA Noire is super-mega-awesome, Skyrim is Double-Super-Mega-Awesome, and Uncharted 3 is Triple-Super-Mega-Awesome. So we can tell that, based on the current evidence, Uncharted 3 will be one and a half times as super mega awesome as Skyrim. Its just math - you can't argue with the math.
I disagree. Although I don't think that L.A. Noire will win game of the year (even if it does sell as well as I hope) I think Skyrim has more of a chance than Uncharted 3. It's a more well known name, and it isn't console exclusive. But, it's definitely between those two.

Cenequus

Jan 31, 2011
Actually LA Noir will probably sell to people that liked rockstar's games like red dead redemption and also to those that enjoyed Heavy Rain. And those crowds big enough for the game to be a success. I do realize they are different thnigs but it a crime/thriller is always worth the time.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
I would love to buy it but Rockstar hate the PC so i am out of luck.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
Giest4life said:
I won't be buying it. Maybe is my flawed impression, but it feels just like Mafia I and II--and I didn't get II either.

If tries something new and different, for the sake of the industry I hope it sells. Otherwise it can going in the 9.99 pile at Gamestop.
This is how a felt about LA Noire it seems the stories from that age just seem cheesy. I hope it sells well so we can get an new GTA but overall this game is something I'll watch a playthrough of instead of buying.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
TheDooD said:
Giest4life said:
I won't be buying it. Maybe is my flawed impression, but it feels just like Mafia I and II--and I didn't get II either.

If tries something new and different, for the sake of the industry I hope it sells. Otherwise it can going in the 9.99 pile at Gamestop.
This is how a felt about LA Noire it seems the stories from that age just seem cheesy. I hope it sells well so we can get an new GTA but overall this game is something I'll watch a playthrough of instead of buying.
You two need to watch the videos for it. There's a huge difference.

mr.mystery said:
someones trolling
How so, exactly? I've been worried about it myself. The marketing campaign for the game is nearly non-existent. Many people haven't heard of it until last week.

God dammit, some of you people need to learn the definition of trolling. And next time actually contribute to the thread.

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
LA Noire seems too much like Mafia to me, it will most likely sell as much as RDR did (maybe a bit less) but not as much as GTA 4 for sure.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
ZeroMachine said:
TheDooD said:
Giest4life said:

mr.mystery said:
someones trolling
How so, exactly? I've been worried about it myself. The marketing campaign for the game is nearly non-existent. Many people haven't heard of it until last week.

God dammit, some of you people need to learn the definition of trolling. And next time actually contribute to the thread.
I seen videos and ads its cheesy I just can't get into it.

RoBi3.0

Mar 29, 2009
Rockstar has become increasing skilled at crafting unique and enjoyable experiences. L.A. Noire well do just as well a RDR. RDR was a complete shot in the dark. At least Noire riding into town on the heels of a successful murder mystery game(Heavy Rain).

Besides as other have said it will do well simple because it is a Rockstar game.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
It's a Rockstar game, it'll sell well based solely on that.

It'll probably get a backlash when people realize it isn't a sandbox game like most of their titles and get a more cinematic experience.

Game still looks like it will at least be worth a rent to check out.

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
TheDooD said:
ZeroMachine said:
TheDooD said:
Giest4life said:

mr.mystery said:
someones trolling

I seen videos and ads its cheesy I just can't get into it.
Eh, alright. That was a tad more at the other guy, though, who thinks it's just a Mafia I/II clone. It really isn't.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
ZeroMachine said:
TheDooD said:
Giest4life said:

mr.mystery said:
someones trolling

What about Heavy Rain? I don't remember any marketing for it (although I may just be blanking) and it sold over 2 million copies

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
artanis_neravar said:
ZeroMachine said:
TheDooD said:
Giest4life said:

mr.mystery said:
someones trolling

What about Heavy Rain? I don't remember any marketing for it (although I may just be blanking) and it sold over 2 million copies
Hm... fair point, actually. That's why, although I have my reservations, I think it will sell well (word of mouth, the "Rockstar" effect, etc.). But it, unfortunately, has the potential to flop. Which will be sad beyond all measure.

DefinitelyPsychotic

Apr 21, 2011
DeadlyYellow said:
It's a Rockstar game, I'm sure it will sell just fine.
It is only published by Rockstar, it is developed by Team Bondi.
The only thing this game really has in common with any Rockstar game is free-roam.

LA Noire is a linear game. Its not like GTA or Red Dead.
Sure, it is technically a Rockstar game, but a huge R and a Star don't always guarantee selling fifteen million copies.

I am really looking forward to LA Noire and I truly do hope that its sales do well, but I just have a feeling that this game won't be as popular as GTA or Red Dead, because it is a "thinking man's" game.

May 25, 2010
Combined pre-orders around the globe are around 1 million already. Word of mouth, good reviews, marketing, price cuts etc are going to help greatly. This will sell just fine methinks. (This argument assumes LA Noire is a good game which I have no way of knowing yet)

ColeusRattus

Apr 16, 2009
I think it will sell well, because it's
a) published by rockstar, which will make many poeple buy it without knowing it
b) the film noire setting, which is little used in games and
c) the facial animations.

Also, I think it'll be the GOTY 2011 because unlike it's biggest contestants, D4E, UC3 and ES5, it will be a new IP and not a sequel, and it innovates both gameplay and technology. So it should at least be the game of the year by critical acclaim, if not by sales.

But I also think that due to point a), it'll spark much frustration and heated online discussions, because many will expect a GTA or RDR in the forties, and these expections won't be met, and the game won't be "sandoxy" enough for them. Much like Mafia II was critizised for not being open enough...

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
OutrageousEmu said:
ZeroMachine said:
OutrageousEmu said:
Outright Villainy said:
OutrageousEmu said:
ToonLink said:
This may be my fanboyism speaking here, but LA Noire is going to be game of the year. I can almost guarantee it.
Okay, no. Its good, I will give you that. Very very good, on any other year it would sweep the GOTYs. But 2011? This year? No, Uncharted 3 has that in the bag.
Wow sir, tell me where you get your games from the future!
No, from previews. Basically, the way I've seen it described, LA Noire is super-mega-awesome, Skyrim is Double-Super-Mega-Awesome, and Uncharted 3 is Triple-Super-Mega-Awesome. So we can tell that, based on the current evidence, Uncharted 3 will be one and a half times as super mega awesome as Skyrim. Its just math - you can't argue with the math.
I disagree. Although I don't think that L.A. Noire will win game of the year (even if it does sell as well as I hope) I think Skyrim has more of a chance than Uncharted 3. It's a more well known name, and it isn't console exclusive. But, it's definitely between those two.
...Since when has brand recognition or console exclusivity made a difference in what the best game of the year is? By that logic in 2008 Sonic Unleashed would have been given GOTY instead of LittleBigPlanet. What kind of insane world would that be?
Ok... wow. Calm down. That would be just retarded. Sonic Unleashed is a horrible game. Skyrim and Uncharted will both be amazing. It's just that, before even being let past the starting line, Skyrim has a bit of a backing behind it, what with Oblivion winning game of the year.

I wasn't saying it was guaranteed. I was saying it has a bit of an edge, but it is still between those two games. So don't worry, I'm not bashing Uncharted 3 here.