Labour MP Wants Clearer Labels on Games

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Putting better labels on games like Modern Warfare 2 isn't really going to help, a lot of parents simply don't care if their retarded kid plays some game with guns and shit in it, they just want the little fucker to leave them alone, something I can sympathise with after having heard them on Live.

Elomin Sha

Mar 9, 2009
I work at a video game retailer and we use PEGI and BBFC (I think that is redundant). The problem is not minors getting the game directly, we're very strict on it in my store, it's the ones buying it for them. When customers buy an 18 rated game I tell them what is in it and they frankly don't care.

"Oh he's played it at his friend's house."
"It's just like the last one [in relation to GTAIV and old PS2 games)."

One time, I said to a customer that the game wouldn't be suitable and she gave me a look of 'Don't tell me how to raise my child'. My gut reaction is usually to say 'well someone has to'.

The problem is not the ratings but the people who GIVE it to the children. Flogging a dead horse, it's the parent's fault. In our training DVD we have to go through each year they talk about this but don't give an answer. 'It's a morale issue'....and? Does that mean we can not sell it to the parent because we know they're buying it for them?

I think Vaz should actually go to retailers and ask about what is being done not guessing.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
If this is a problem with the parents, then they should be using common sence
"The cover has a guy with gun...it also has a 18 on it...i think i shouldn't buy this for my ten year old"

simple

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Games have the same rating labels as films. Provided parents are not stupid, they should be able to see what is appropriate.

The big problem is that many parents see games as children's toys, so they will disregard age rating.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im pretty down with that, im all happ for clearer labelling on things and it makes sense. Afterall, its parents who are too naive to say no to there child when it comes to a game that causes so many of the so called "Problems"

We need a syste, tjhats as recognised as the system for Movies, and such.

So, go for it. Good idea

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
As reasonable as he thinks he's being, he can fuck off. We have already have the BBFC ratings that are larger than on DVD cases for 18 games, we have PEGI ratings in bright colours with numbers in. Is it red? Does it say 18? Then it's not gonna be for your 5 year old is it? You can't really get much clearer, any parent who can't understand those ratings deserves the entirety of the blame for whatever "corruption" the game will cause to their kid. If they can understand it for movies, they can understand it for games. They use an identical system anyway, with games being even stricter if anything. Those labels get any bigger we won't even have box art any more.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Clearer as in what? For the whole rating to take up the box? Not a fucking chance. The PEGI is doing enough as it is. The other part is making sure that parents can raise their children for a damn.

Gardenclaw

Jul 12, 2009
Keith vaz is a grade A Ballbag. basically everyone thinks he's a nutter so this will get nowhere. Give it a week he'll get a bee in his bonnet about Yorkie bars being made of chocolate or something. Fucking stupid prick.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
My bratt cousin is 14 and somehow managed to lie to my aunt, yet again, about the age limit on his newest game
- Red Dead Redemption.

Before I take the opportunity to watch his ass being roasted by my favourite auntie (I swear, I look at his parents and I'm convinced something has gone awry in our gene pool)

I think there needs to be some sort of awareness campaign, as, let's face it... a lot of parents don't game at all and still think everything's like Super Mario.

I agree though, the clearer labels proposal is a bit daft.

However, more widespread knowledge of, and more consistent age labelling in Europe is something that should be addressed.

At his age, I would have been crucified for doing what he's after doing. On that note- my story is only tangentially related to the wider debate.

It's not like the UK government is going to kill gaming,it brings in too much revenue.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Sounds like a perfectly acceptable assertion to me. Perhaps a large noticeable color coding system on the labels... something like Yellow for Kids, Green for All Ages, Blue for Teen and Red for Mature.

Still, it does reflect poorly on parents unable (or unwilling) to tell the difference between the different ratings.
Kinda like Australia's rating system, amirite?

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
As someone who has in the past written EDMs for MPs, I feel the need to clarify what this actually means.

And EDM means he believes he has a point that needs to be raised in the house of commons, so that the MPs can all decide whether or not the current ratings symbols are adequate.
If he gathers 100 mp's signatures, they will discuss it. You can urge your constituency's mp to sign it, and usually they will comply (Ministers aside)

In light of the large numbers of parents who buy their kids GTA (my parents included) I think it's a perfectly reasonable question to raise.

[HEADING=2]I would also like to point out that the majority of EDMs are written purely to make an MP look like they are doing something. [/HEADING]
Many EDMs go like this
This house supports the effort made by the South African Police in insuring that minimal crime was committed during the world cup this year
I believe I made one that was we should applaud the conservation of rhinos and another that was that we need to take more care of fishermen.
I don't even know what happened to my one that wanted free gym membership for poor obese people. Oh well.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
corporate_gamer said:
he's a backbench MP from the opposition party, i have more power to change things than him.
Actually he has a fair bit of support in the labour party, was a minister and writes quite a lot of articles for the times.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008

Really, Keith... Really? Any parent who can't tell games like this are rated 18 shouldn't be allowed outside without a nurse let alone raise children.

The point is kids still get a hold of these the same way the get a hold of knives, solvents, cigarettes, alcohol and so on... they get adults to buy it then take it from the adults. The retailers have held up their end but if older brothers, cousins, parents and friends then hand the restricted item to children IGNORANCE IS NO EXCUSE!!!

It has a GIGANTIC 18 LABEL ON IT!! What? Do they think that's a score out of 20?!!?!?

Do they ACTUALLY need a label saying :

[HEADING=2]THIS GAME HAS BEEN RATED AS ONLY SUITABLE FOR THOSE OVER 18 WHICH MEANS IT CANNOT BE SOLD TO, GIVEN TO, SEEN BY NOR PLAYED BY ANYONE WHO IS UNDER THE AGE OF 18!!!!

AND IF YOU DO, WE'LL CUT YOUR BOLLOCKS OFF!!![/HEADING]

lolmynamewastaken

Jun 9, 2009
*Picks up mass effect 2 case and reads no less than 3 15 certificate badge thingies from the BBFC one of which is just under 2.5cm big(thats the same size as thane's face!) also a clear discription of why said game has said rating*
*checks disk to find one more 15 rating from the bbfc and two from other places.*
the age rating is clearer to see than the price in some cases, games already have clearer more detailed lables than DVDs which could be argued as being just as influential as games.
Bah, what can i say, i like box art.