Langdell Loses His Edge

Somebloke

Aug 5, 2010
Oh how far the mighty have fallen.
I remember the Edge publishing quite a few fine titles in the 8-bit era (no idea what sort of deals the developers got).
It's sad to see the fellow winding up such a pitiful leech.

Deathfish15

Nov 7, 2006
Finally a judge stands up to this a-hole instead of just giving him what he wanted, yet didn't deserve. Glad EA came out of this on top (I wonder if they'll counter-sue for legal costs?).

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
how stupid goes this guy think everyone is??

You can't copyright A WORD!!!

That's sort of like a games company suing another games company, because they used the same model of gun in their game...

some people just make me so confused...

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
I.E.D. said:
"Given the suspect nature of Dr. Langdell's representations to both the USPTO and the Court concerning plaintiff's current and future sales and business activities, it is an open question whether plaintiff's business activities legitimately extend beyond trolling various gaming-related industries for licensing opportunities," wrote Judge William Alsup of the U.S. District Court.
Wait a second. Judge actually used the word "trolling"? Wow.
Oh Shit....Legal system can get you for trolling?

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
WOW! I'd never heard of this guy before, then I read this

First, I didn't know about him
Then, I hated him
Then, I was happy because he's getting his dues!

That's a pretty concentrated rush of anger and victory! It's like a rollercoaster of happiness!

Hear that?

[HEADING=1]A f*ckin' ROLLERCOASTER OF HAPPINESS![/HEADING]
I love my life...

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Was the word "trolling" really used in that court? Regardless, it's good to see that he can't control an element of language like this anymore.

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Whooooo it's about time this blatant copyright troll go his comeuppance!!!!

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
Even the courts called Mr. Langdell a troll.

TODAY IS A GOOD DAY, GENTLEMEN.
This was the first thing I noticed.

This is a judge that knows its shit.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Ok, EA, I forgive you now (until the next EA sports game, but I'll be a little kinder now).

Oh, and Tim: EdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgeEdgyEdgeEdgeEdgeEdge

What now?

(Hopefully this means Edge of Twilight will finally show its face again, and bring with it the other unreleased games from last E3)

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
I.E.D. said:
Wait a second. Judge actually used the word "trolling"? Wow.
When I saw this article I literally said, "Good, it's about time." After I started reading it, I bursted out laughing when the judge called him a troll.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's a good start. I want the son-of-a-***** to give back every nickel he extorted from the little guys who didn't have the wherewithal to stand up to his bullying. And, yes, I'd love it if he had to serve some jail time. I'm not holding my breath on that one, though.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"EA also presents compelling evidence that there was no bona fide use of the 'Edge' mark in commerce by plaintiff, its licensees, or its predecessors in interest at all between 1989 and to at least 2003. Even after 2003, the evidence that plaintiff had been making bona fide use of the 'Edge' mark in commerce is suspect," he continued. "For example, Dr. Langdell's declaration asserted that Edge Games has been selling the video game Mythora [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PXSJVC/sr=1-2/qid=1283302437/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&qid=1283302437&sr=1-2&seller=] (supposedly bearing the 'Edge' mark) since 2004. Curiously, while the exterior packaging submitted by Dr. Langdell to the USPTO for the Mythora video game included a website address, this website wasn't even registered by Edge Games until October 2008 - nearly four years after the game's purported release."
Haha wow. So not only is Langdell a douchebag, he's a stupid douchebag. Did he really think nobody would notice? Or maybe his problem was going after EA, a company big enough to say "Hmm, no, I think we're going to stick it to you little boy" rather than rolling over and settling like all the small guys he screwed over had to.

kingaelfric

Mar 1, 2010
Just to chime in from the legal community--the idea of "patent trolling" is roughly as old (if not older) than the general internet sense of "trolling," so the judge in this case, while calling it correctly by my lights, might not be quite as net-savvy as some seem to think! Thanks.

jakefongloo

Aug 17, 2008
I hope they let a rapid baby bunny chew on his gonads! He's a coward and a parasite and like Andrew Ryan I do not approve of the parasite. He should rot in the same hell as Paris Hilton and Bobby Kotick who just siphon from more talented, productive sources.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Oh.... YEAH! I was wondering when he would show his ugly fraudulent head in the news again. I guess that Ea has walked all over the guy who started the claim and has even turned the tides of the court against him. Tim langdell, I would say rest in peace, but really I think it would be more fair if you were alive in your coffin and were slowly eaten by flesh-chowing worms.