Lap top archive

confernal

Feb 5, 2009
Hey guys/gals

I was wondering on what Laptop would be for this role and you guys/gals are pretty knowledgeable on subjects of various natures.

Basically it should be able to store large amounts of data on it (like a library), like university text books, how to guides and other information to help one become more knowledgeable. Also it should also have good security options.

Any suggestions?

PS: cheaper the better.

Thanks.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
No offense, but your request is a little too vague. Security is 90% software, unless you want something like a fingerprint ID scanner. The data storage is based on Hard Drives, which you can get in a variety of sizes and speeds. I have 2 320gb hard drives in my laptop, and that serves me well enough, but I can't really go about recommending much with that little of a reference point.

Jul 22, 2009
A very small Acer 12 inch... I'm using one right now... it could never run a game but it holds a lot of info and it's quite cheap.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Atom PC. Small, portable, great battery life, and can use a variety of flash based memory and large capacity hard drives.

EDIT: And their about as cheap as it gets.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Basing on just purley what you asked for id say : The cheapest one you can find.

For just archive purposes anything will do, modern laptops have HDDs large enough to store several libraries, text data takes little space and even high resolution, graphic intensive pdf scans of books usually stay at ~200mb so i guess even something as small as 100GB hard drive would be more than enough.

Security itself is just software, and that doesn't require that much of processing power nor space to work well.

enzilewulf

Jun 19, 2009
My Brother in law who is in college (You said text books sooo..) He has a Sony Vizo I think its called. It holds all his FFX stratgey guides, So it has pretty good memory capacity. Yet they do cost around 1000$ yet I think it would suit you well.