Laptop choice help!

Kabutos

Oct 21, 2008
Solytus said:
What other recommendations do you have in terms of laptops? I'm open to pretty much all suggestions, I'm just rather wary of netbooks, as I might want more power than they can provide.
Depends on what you're looking for.

For general computing and schoolwork, I'd recommend a Thinkpad. Expensive, but top notch build quality. Otherwise something from Dell or HP would work, but keep in mind these laptops generally use Intel IGPs which are generally terrible for gaming.

For gaming, go with something from ASUS or MSI. Sager if you have the money.

The G53SW-XN1 [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230027&cm_re=asus_g-_-34-230-027-_-Product] from ASUS is about $100 less than the mid M14X with a better GPU.

Crimson_Dragoon said:
Yes, knowledge. Knowledge of every single little thing you need to have to make the computer work. Of whether or not it will all work together. Of how to install it. Of how to make sure you have all the correct software and drivers. Of all the millions of little things that could be done wrong. Its not rocket science, but it is a daunting task for someone who has never done anything like it before (I don't know whether this applies to the OP or not, but it applies to plenty of people). Just because you've done it before and it was easy for you does not make it the end-all, perfect solution for everyone else. Building a computer may be the cheaper solution, but its not necessarily the best one in every case.
Wow, hyperbole much? Apparently downloading drivers and comparing numbers is a daunting task now. You want to know if parts are compatible? Either do a little research or just look at the numbers - 1155 CPU goes into 1155 motherboard, 8 pin power goes into 8 pin slot. Complicated stuff.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
Crimson_Dragoon said:
Go with the Alienware. You'll be able to do far more with it (especially in gaming) than you will with the Macs.

And for those suggesting building a PC and getting a notebook, that's not necessarily the best way to go. A) It requires that he has the computer related knowledge to build a PC from scratch (and while I'm sure its extremely easy for you, its not easy for everyone else) and B) having a single computer/laptop is a lot easier and more convenient than trying to juggle two.

Yes, a custom built PC will be much better for gaming, but the Alienware laptop will do a pretty damn good job of it, too.
Kabutos said:
Knowledge? You mean the knowledge of being able to operate a screwdriver? Or the part where plug A goes into slot A and plug B goes into slot B?
Me and a friend, who have never built a PC before, built his about a month back. It took an hour or two, but didn't take as long to build as it did to do all the drivers and whatnot. All the wires where labelled to make it obvious where everything was to go. And the only bit where a screwdriver was necessary was in attaching the motherboard to the case.

It really is ridiculously simple to build a PC. For that reason I'd say just buy like a cheap Acer or Asus, or even a cheap macbook, and use the rest on a gaming PC.

coolkirb

Jan 28, 2011
I bought a soney vaio for $500 and its 1080p hd and can run starcraft II resonably well, I havent complained about it but Im not a computer guy.

Solytus

Sep 2, 2008
Oo, one more question, my friend suggested an iBuyPower Battalion 101 cz-12 laptop, for the same price as the other laptops, I can get a hugely high-end model. What do you guys think?

Also, I looked at MSI's thanks to Kabuto's recommendation, and I was thinking about the MSI T683R-242US, I'm also curious about what the escapist thinks about that.

TeeBs

Oct 9, 2010
Don't pick ether Apple or Alienware, unless you want to overpay for a brand name. Or in apples case pay again when it breaks or the OS becomes bricked.

Pick a nice HP or Toshiba. You will save a whole lot of money, and probably get a better system while your at it.

Markgraf

Apr 1, 2009
Kabutos said:
Solytus said:
What other recommendations do you have in terms of laptops? I'm open to pretty much all suggestions, I'm just rather wary of netbooks, as I might want more power than they can provide.
Depends on what you're looking for.

For general computing and schoolwork, I'd recommend a Thinkpad. Expensive, but top notch build quality. Otherwise something from Dell or HP would work, but keep in mind these laptops generally use Intel IGPs which are generally terrible for gaming.

For gaming, go with something from ASUS or MSI. Sager if you have the money.

The G53SW-XN1 [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230027&cm_re=asus_g-_-34-230-027-_-Product] from ASUS is about $100 less than the mid M14X with a better GPU.

Crimson_Dragoon said:
Yes, knowledge. Knowledge of every single little thing you need to have to make the computer work. Of whether or not it will all work together. Of how to install it. Of how to make sure you have all the correct software and drivers. Of all the millions of little things that could be done wrong. Its not rocket science, but it is a daunting task for someone who has never done anything like it before (I don't know whether this applies to the OP or not, but it applies to plenty of people). Just because you've done it before and it was easy for you does not make it the end-all, perfect solution for everyone else. Building a computer may be the cheaper solution, but its not necessarily the best one in every case.
Wow, hyperbole much? Apparently downloading drivers and comparing numbers is a daunting task now. You want to know if parts are compatible? Either do a little research or just look at the numbers - 1155 CPU goes into 1155 motherboard, 8 pin power goes into 8 pin slot. Complicated stuff.
I second this. I wholeheartedly suggest you go with ASUS. Sure, they might not have as well-known a name as ASUS and they dont look as flashy. But most of them have a nice, understated design and the best bang for your buck, both in quality and power. I bought one last year as it was on sale ($1000) and the thing can run anything I throw at it, including Crysis on high at 1080p.