Lara Gets Serious in New Tomb Raider Teaser

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Maybe now they're going to make games that actually do her justice. Interesting.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Waiting for gameplay videos over here. We already knew what was in the teaser.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Graphically, very impressive.

Not in love with the "our lead character is going to be miserable and helpless virtually every moment of the game" aesthetic.

RYjet911

May 11, 2008
I hope I'm not the only one who saw "Square Enix" and instantly thought "Yep, time to actually give Angel of Darkness a try"...

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
Truly-A-Lie said:
I quite liked this trailer. But my main problem with Lara Croft is that she's already rich, and sets out on what seems like a quest to wipe tigers from the face of the Earth for nothing more than more wealth and adventure. I just find her selfish.
I can see the argument, but it seems like in this game she didnt actually set out with the mindset to kill rare breeds of everything, its just a horrible quirk in fate. So she has a bit more justification for killing tigers that want to tear her apart in this game than in the other games at least.

Also, nice product placement with the iphone. Just sayin'

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Ubermetalhed said:
This is NOT Tombraider.

Well done Crystal Dynamics you've managed to already ruin the series and now you're turning it into Uncharted.
Didn't Core ruin the series before CD?

LessThanThreep

May 15, 2011
Growing up as a female gamer I always admired Laura Croft, and was sad to see her decline. I'm so excited that she might be coming back!

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Never played any of the Tomb Raider games, and this one does look very nice, but then I remember so did Dragon Age in their "trailer". So, back to waiting for game play.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
I think this is the first origin story I'm not cringing my nose at.

Also those of you worried about Square Enix's involvement, remember, they're just just publishing it. Just look at all the previews of Deus Ex 3 - they're not fucking it up.

rossatdi

Aug 27, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
rossatdi said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Gone is the older, more confident Lara, and in her place is a younger, less experienced version, who looks like she's in for a rough time if this teaser trailer is anything to go by.
I wonder if there's any coincidence that the publisher is Square Enix and the fact that the experienced, bad ass Lara has been replaced a childish waife who's very first action is to be rescued by a grizzled man. I've got vague recollections on the first FMV in the first Tomb Raider of Lara gunning down wolves while her guide gets munched on. Does this not seem odd?

"Character development"? This is tomb raider, not the oscars. Hot rich lady, steals stuff, shoots things. Get that right and the rest follows.
I think we can, and should, aim a little higher than "Hot rich lady, steals stuff, shoots things." Besides, as I mentioned, the experienced, bad ass Lara wasn't selling very well.
You're right, they could try having a new idea!

If Lara wasn't selling, making Lara blander is unlikely to lead much of an improvement. Spending millions on flashy non-engine cinematic scenes and advertising though... that probably will keep the old girl in show business.

mcnally86

Apr 23, 2008
Honestly if no one told me this was tomb raider I wouldn't know. I thought it was funny how the voice over was so calm and collected and all LC could manage in the "real world" were unintelligent grunts and sequels. Honestly this seems interesting Ill be paying attention to this title now.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
rossatdi said:
You're right, they could try having a new idea!

If Lara wasn't selling, making Lara blander is unlikely to lead much of an improvement. Spending millions on flashy non-engine cinematic scenes and advertising though... that probably will keep the old girl in show business.
Well yes, optimally, new ideas would be preferable. I'm not sure I'd agree with your assessment of new Lara though. She sounds, to me at least, potentially a lot more interesting as a character than then unflappable Lara Croft we've seen before.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
rosac said:
I can see the argument, but it seems like in this game she didnt actually set out with the mindset to kill rare breeds of everything, its just a horrible quirk in fate. So she has a bit more justification for killing tigers that want to tear her apart in this game than in the other games at least.
I know she doesn't do it on purpose, but if she's unfortunate enough to have to kill a bunch of endangered species on more than one occasion in her treasure hunts, she should quit or at least feel guilty. There's never a moment like "Do I go on an adventure? I might skip this one, after killing those tigers and rabid panda bears last time I feel like a *****." It's always "to the tomb! It needs raiding! Tiger? Again? Not a problem, I'm desensitised to the sad look in their dying eyes by now!"

Although I will admit, I do have a love of tigers that is making me a little bit biased against Lara. This game will be justified in that it will be the first time she's ever been forced to do such horrible things, and then I can hate her in all following games.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
*sigh*

Yet another potentially good trailer ruined by a shitty voiceover.

It's as if the producers had a cliche quota or something.

Still, I find the premise interesting.

Goldeneye103X2

Jun 29, 2008
L34dP1LL said:
Well, hopefully they wont go all "Other M" on this heroine, and really make a good game out of it.
I know, right. I will actually applaud crystal dynamics if they can develop Lara without, you know, not developing her at all (if that makes any sense). I want to see how they'll make a decent story without any other characters. Well, some others might pop up at some point, but Im not counting on it.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I've never played a Tomb Raider game before, but I must say that this looks pretty interesting. Thought the trailer was done really well, and I'm liking what I hear of Lara's voice. I got to keep an eye on this!