Lara Gets Serious in New Tomb Raider Teaser

TheAngryMonkey

Nov 18, 2009
This looks real promising.
Lara character model, is real and not overdone.
I don't think we will have Other M syndrome here, she seems very confident and a strong lead.
Having a male as a supporting role shouldn't be an issue for anyone, Lara has always been the cocky and a smart ass.
Also having the opposite sex as the support is always best, you need a contrast to the lead.
I think she will be a strong female lead, which is good cause I know a lot of ladies who have been looking for that outside RPG's.

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
The Apothecarry said:
I like where they're trying to take this. They want to give the sex symbol that we know Lara to be a much more human look. She's not a supermodel in tight clothes swinging about for our pleasure (I'll leave Tecmo to deal with that). She's fighting to survive, which to players can make her a much better character to relate to.
Eh, I'm no huge fan of jiggle physics and stuff, but you at least have to admit that classic Lara had a distinctive character design, this Lara could just be any reasonably good looking brunette in average clothes.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
On the plus side, i like this Lara redesign: They havn't gone the ninja theory route of totally gutting and eviscerating it to the point that it looks absolutely nothing like the lead character (Lara still looks like Lara, albeit a bit younger..which considering this game is set in her far past, yeah it fits). Outfit also seems to be similiar to her original one, atleast color wise, which again helps. Overall, like the design and i think it works.

Game-wise, not to sure yet: Considering this has Square Enix behind it, my confidence is a bit...lacking, partly due to some of their more recent releases which have been rather subpar. Still, i'll wait to be proven wrong. Otherwise, i think this game has alot of promise, So don't fuck it up Square!

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
ArmorArmadillo said:
Eh, I'm no huge fan of jiggle physics and stuff, but you at least have to admit that classic Lara had a distinctive character design, this Lara could just be any reasonably good looking brunette in average clothes.
I know she looks much more average, but I like it. It's different. She's pretty, but not too pretty.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
lacktheknack said:
A-D. said:
The Question for me is, how far they are going to take realism. because i didnt enjoy the games because they were overly realistic. Hell lets just look at the Heroine and what she can do. I preferred the whole..well jumping around, crawling up a wall and such. Basicly the "Parkour Approach". Kinda what Mirrors Edge tried and failed to do.

So yeah, while the Reboot has promise, at least as far as we know for now, it can still turn to shit very quickly depending on where they go with it. I like the Idea of a "Well thats where she started". Even in the first Tomb Raider she was already what, 30? 40? Far older anyway. Here's me hoping they dont go "we all serious now" with it.
Mirror's Edge succeeded resoundingly, actually.

Also, they're clearly tossing out her original origins, as her first adventure (what this claims to be) was previously an expedition gone wrong to Angkor Wat with Werner Von Croy (play TR4). It didn't involve ships (and considering how it was in the 70s, I doubt there were MP3 players either, as in this trailer). So my guess is that we have an entirely new Lara Croft to work with.
I didnt say Mirror's Edge was bad. The Idea itself was good, but it failed mostly on the awkward design. That being too much Gunplay, at least for my taste. As the whole free-run Concept didnt mesh very well with it in my Opinion. Its like Brink by comparison, a Shooter with Acrobatics more or less.

Tomb Raider was more fun as it involved less fighting, or rather more planning of "okay im going this route and then there" and timing stuff. Suppose its more a taste question anyway.
And yes i also know the Backstory relayed in TR4 but i sort of dont exactly count that since it felt, strange given prior and later Installments which portrayed different social ties between Characters. As for example, von Croy wasnt mentioned at all prior to TR4 and later was portrayed as being more of a antagonist of sorts, though i suppose given the events thats understandable.

I simply saw the Reboot happening with Legend more or less, Anniversary then acting as a bridge in between the Developers and Story overall, tying it somewhat loosely together. So to me the new one simply is a more believable "Starting Point", at least more so than TR4 was in terms of general Story given. Unless they plan to reboot entirely from scratch and throw everything else overboard (enjoy the pun) though they havent stated yet that they will do so 100%.

AwesomeNinjaPowers

May 31, 2009
Okay I'm now kinda excited by this =D

And did anyone notice that the scream at 0:51 in the video sounds like the scream Lara would do if she fell from a great height in the origional games? Or is that just nerd wishful thinking on my part?

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Phlakes said:
Ubermetalhed said:
This is NOT Tombraider.

Well done Crystal Dynamics you've managed to already ruin the series and now you're turning it into Uncharted.
Really? [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyChangedItNowItSucks]

We haven't seen a bit of gameplay and you're already calling the series ruined?
Crystal Dynamics ALREADY ruined the series with Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. They're now adding insult to injury. It looks like they're going the dramatic Uncharted route in order to break into that fanbase.

We've already had Lara when she was younger in previous games, this new representation isn't her. Even if they want to do some 'look how she's developed and become the explorer we all know' storyline, it has already been done. The direction they're taking means this is not going to be Tombraider, she is not going to be Lara Croft.

This is the equivalent of the Resident Evil movies being based on the games.

Sure no gameplay has been shown but the way they're portraying Lara makes her look weak, and thus I'm not expecting her to be able to do all the backflips and acrobatics that are core to the gameplay. And if they do put them in, then the new 'realistic' Lara Croft character will fall apart.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
Ubermetalhed said:
Crystal Dynamics ALREADY ruined the series with Legend, Anniversary and Underworld. They're now adding insult to injury. It looks like they're going the dramatic Uncharted route in order to break into that fanbase.

We've already had Lara when she was younger in previous games, this new representation isn't her. Even if they want to do some 'look how she's developed and become the explorer we all know' storyline, it has already been done. The direction they're taking means this is not going to be Tombraider, she is not going to be Lara Croft.

This is the equivalent of the Resident Evil movies being based on the games.

Sure no gameplay has been shown but the way they're portraying Lara makes her look weak, and thus I'm not expecting her to be able to do all the backflips and acrobatics that are core to the gameplay. And if they do put them in, then the new 'realistic' Lara Croft character will fall apart.
thats the idea of the whole game. to bring something new. how she became the woman we know today. this is her real first adventure were she was by her self. whats so bad about it? at least the damn controls are better so as the graphics. i had far more a better time with legend/underworld then with the previous once. i was so happy to use the damn mouse which none of the others had.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
A-D. said:
lacktheknack said:
A-D. said:
The Question for me is, how far they are going to take realism. because i didnt enjoy the games because they were overly realistic. Hell lets just look at the Heroine and what she can do. I preferred the whole..well jumping around, crawling up a wall and such. Basicly the "Parkour Approach". Kinda what Mirrors Edge tried and failed to do.

So yeah, while the Reboot has promise, at least as far as we know for now, it can still turn to shit very quickly depending on where they go with it. I like the Idea of a "Well thats where she started". Even in the first Tomb Raider she was already what, 30? 40? Far older anyway. Here's me hoping they dont go "we all serious now" with it.
Mirror's Edge succeeded resoundingly, actually.

Also, they're clearly tossing out her original origins, as her first adventure (what this claims to be) was previously an expedition gone wrong to Angkor Wat with Werner Von Croy (play TR4). It didn't involve ships (and considering how it was in the 70s, I doubt there were MP3 players either, as in this trailer). So my guess is that we have an entirely new Lara Croft to work with.
I didnt say Mirror's Edge was bad. The Idea itself was good, but it failed mostly on the awkward design. That being too much Gunplay, at least for my taste. As the whole free-run Concept didnt mesh very well with it in my Opinion. Its like Brink by comparison, a Shooter with Acrobatics more or less.

Tomb Raider was more fun as it involved less fighting, or rather more planning of "okay im going this route and then there" and timing stuff. Suppose its more a taste question anyway.
And yes i also know the Backstory relayed in TR4 but i sort of dont exactly count that since it felt, strange given prior and later Installments which portrayed different social ties between Characters. As for example, von Croy wasnt mentioned at all prior to TR4 and later was portrayed as being more of a antagonist of sorts, though i suppose given the events thats understandable.

I simply saw the Reboot happening with Legend more or less, Anniversary then acting as a bridge in between the Developers and Story overall, tying it somewhat loosely together. So to me the new one simply is a more believable "Starting Point", at least more so than TR4 was in terms of general Story given. Unless they plan to reboot entirely from scratch and throw everything else overboard (enjoy the pun) though they havent stated yet that they will do so 100%.
On Mirror's Edge: How to tactfully say this... You're wrong. Mirror's Edge is my favorite game ever (yep), and I've played the campaign often, and the only time I ever pick up a gun is at one moment where I need to break a window whilst flying at it. That's all. And I have fisticuffs with a total of six guards at maximum (I have managed four once). It's amazing how often people fail to realize that guards can pretty much be ignored by moving fast. And that's why I find it even a little tragic that so many people complain about gunplay. Don't like it? Don't use it.

As for Tomb Raider: While that's a nifty theory, if it was the case, it would still take place in the 70s, so I'd love to know where she got the digital music player and ear buds. Hmmmmm...

Dutch 924

Making the impossible happen!
Dec 8, 2010
Apparently there are going to be death traps with gruesome results if you fail, kinda like Dead Space

Adventurer2626

Jan 21, 2010
She looks like a young naive British girl that has no clue what's in store for her. I think they did a SPECTACULAR job in the characterization and setup for the plotline/character progression. Granted she's still a bombshell, but otherwise anyone of us could have become the Tomb Raider. That is how you make a good character.

EternalFacepalm

Feb 1, 2011
I might get it, considering they didn't go all "hey look breasts!" this time.
...Not sure until I see some GAMEPLAY, but it looks decent.

Vault boy Eddie

Feb 18, 2009
This game would work as a sort of Snake Eater, where she hunts and whatnot, maybe camouflages herself from some foe we don't know about yet, runs around in a box, etc. I was just kidding about the box part fyi.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
lacktheknack said:
As for Tomb Raider: While that's a nifty theory, if it was the case, it would still take place in the 70s, so I'd love to know where she got the digital music player and ear buds. Hmmmmm...
Actually its less of a Theory as more the Way i see it. Just because its a Reboot which may use the old Storyline doesnt mean they have to set it in the 70's at all. So i dont really see your Point that you try to stick to "Well it should be the 70's then". They are rebooting the Series, giving Lara a fresh Start as it were, they have however not yet said that they will throw everything overboard entirely. Which means that i assume the Reboot will simply explain the whole backstory better and more believable.

Hell when you look at Lara in the last Installment, i.e. Underworld, she doesnt look "old" regardless of how old she should be. So by that definition they could, merely going by the apparent Age, just rewrite a few Points, which i assume they are doing. As said they have not said they want to begin from Scratch entirely, which means that some Parts of the Games so far will stay. I.e. her losing her Mom and Dad etc may still stay as it is right now, without them starting over from zero.