Last good book you've played

emberage

Sep 16, 2006
The subject looks like a mistake, but I mean it in full honesty. There are games out there that have so much story depth, character progression and interesting dialogue that it's as close as you can come to taking part in a book. I can dredge up a few games that come close but fall just to either side: too much story and not enough gameplay equating to "why wasn't it just written," or the gameplay is solid and the story is on the right track, but never really reaches that point of perfection.

The closest I can think of are the likes of "Beyond Good and Evil" as well as "The Longest Journey." Any others come to mind?

Jobz

May 5, 2008
emberage post=9.69892.674087 said:
The subject looks like a mistake, but I mean it in full honesty. There are games out there that have so much story depth, character progression and interesting dialogue that it's as close as you can come to taking part in a book. I can dredge up a few games that come close but fall just to either side: too much story and not enough gameplay equating to "why wasn't it just written," or the gameplay is solid and the story is on the right track, but never really reaches that point of perfection.

The closest I can think of are the likes of "Beyond Good and Evil" as well as "The Longest Journey." Any others come to mind?
Those two you mentioned are two of my favorite games, the stories were perfect and I quite enjoyed the gameplay in Beyond Good & Evil. The gameplay in The Longest Journey was awful though.

So the last "good book" I played was probably The Longest Journey actually...or maybe "Still Life" which I loved but most people didn't like very much.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
Metal Gear Solid 4. I really enjoyed it, but it's heavy exposition and dialogue really would have favoured being in a book.

An editor would still need to rip half the stuff to shreds, though.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
TheBadass post=9.69892.674133 said:
Metal Gear Solid 4. I really enjoyed it, but it's heavy exposition and dialogue really would have favoured being in a book.

An editor would still need to rip half the stuff to shreds, though.
I'd say it's better off as a Graphic Novel, also, there's a big elephant in the room that people don't notice when talking about the MGS series.

The video game comes from Japan, and suffers incredibly from Mistranslation.

Also, the fan service was a bit much in this one, but so is the side effect of trying to make a "magnum opus" to end a series that could easily go beyond 4 titles. I mean, we all know the intention of the nanomachines was just for giving the character a "radio".

Resistance205

Jun 3, 2008
I loved Mass Effect the story was brilliant and believable and the characters were so well thought out and distinct.

TheBadass

Aug 27, 2008
ElArabDeMagnifico post=9.69892.674291 said:
I'd say it's better off as a Graphic Novel.
I doubt it, all the text bubbles would leave next to no room for the graphic part.

Oh snap. ;)

Integra

Aug 27, 2008
The Traveler by John Twelve-Hawks would make an awesome action-adventure game.

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
Planescape: Torment. I would nominate it for "Greatest Book Anybody Has Ever Played, Ever" if such an award existed.

Shabubu

Jun 5, 2007
Ripshot post=9.69892.674569 said:
Okami was pretty much myths in game form
It was also Legend of Zelda in PS2 form. =D

I don't want to mention something that was already mentioned...Darwinia's story had some good book-like elements to it.

But, aside from some of the ones mentioned, the Monkey Island games felt more bookish than most of the games I've played in the last decade...some felt so much like books that I thought they actually were books (btw, the Escape from Monkey Island book has nothing to do with the games...)

dukethepcdr

May 9, 2008
I really got into the plot and dialog of Deus Ex. The fighting and shooting parts were mearly ok. It was the story and the way that you had a hand in changeing it that made the game great.

Shabubu

Jun 5, 2007
dukethepcdr post=9.69892.674654 said:
I really got into the plot and dialog of Deus Ex. The fighting and shooting parts were mearly ok. It was the story and the way that you had a hand in changeing it that made the game great.
The amount of words in the game also made it a novel. They just kept on talking...

vede

Dec 4, 2007
dukethepcdr post=9.69892.674654 said:
Despite Deus Ex being among my "Greates Games Ever Made" list, you didn't have much hand in how the story progressed.

You had to join the NSF, and pretty much everywhere you went had the same goal as every other time (although there were many, many different ways to make that goal). The only way different actions made the game seem different is by certain NPCs saying certain things, but very little actually affected later parts of the game. The end, though, was where you had a hand in what happened. That's really the only part.

The story was still awesome.

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
Bioshock, no question. Probably the greatest game that's actually managed to take themes and then integrate them into both gameplay and narrative.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
My Favorite Story-Heavy Games

Deus Ex
Mass Effect
Half Life Series
Guild Wars: Eye of the North
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fable
BioShock
Homeworld and Homeworld 2
Supreme Commander

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
TheBadass post=9.69892.674326 said:
ElArabDeMagnifico post=9.69892.674291 said:
I'd say it's better off as a Graphic Novel.
I doubt it, all the text bubbles would leave next to no room for the graphic part.

Oh snap. ;)
If watchmen and V for Vandetta can do it, then I think we won't have that much to worry about, it may just be a little more..'spaced out'