Last night I learn that Pokemon Red/Blue originally had 190 pokemon.

Beastialman

Sep 9, 2009
At least if Bulbapedia is to be believed (and the fact the games have the blank index numbers to provide evidence).

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_index_number_%28Generation_I%29

I can back up the claim too, once I caught missingno to trade to my Gold to see what would happen. It wouldn't let me trade it but it showed up as a Remoraid (other people claimed to see other Generation 2 pokemon).

How does this make you feel?

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
I thought that this was common knowledge...they scrap Pokemon and implement them in the next game all the time.

Amarok

Dec 13, 2008
I already knew, so I feel... hungry?

151 was all the poor blighters had the space for. Having said that they could have traded Mr. Mime out for a better design, surely...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Game Freak did magic with Gold/Silver then.

Same system...so much more content it was insane.

Even if most of G/S was shit.

Kanto was so boring, I couldn't even finish it in HG/SS last year.

Brain_Cleanser

Dec 18, 2009
Radeonx said:
I thought that this was common knowledge...they scrap Pokemon and implement them in the next game all the time.
Same here.
Hell, you can't even trade between different language games as my friend and I experimented and found out.
If you look through the coding theres tons of placeholders in the other games, just not as many. The fact that there are so many in RB is WHY the game's so damn buggy.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
not surpising take 5th gen for an example
here are 2 that are beleved to be recycled

recycled Tauros evo

recycled luvdisk evo

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:

Actually it wasn't the same system. Red/Blue/Yellow were gameboy games, whereas Gold/Silver were Gameboy Color. The systems were different and the cartidges got an upgrade around the same time as GBC. I think the cartridges were still compatible with regular GB. But, broken record I know, they were different.

Beastialman

Sep 9, 2009
VanQQisH said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Actually it wasn't the same system. Red/Blue/Yellow were gameboy games, whereas Gold/Silver were Gameboy Color. The systems were different and the cartidges got an upgrade around the same time as GBC. I think the cartridges were still compatible with regular GB. But, broken record I know, they were different.
Actually they can both be played on an old Gameboy. The immediate way to tell the difference between a GB and a GBA game is a little notch in the right corner. If it doesn't have that then its a GBA game.

chickenhound said:
not surpising take 5th gen for an example
here are 2 that are beleved to be recycled

recycled Tauros evo

recycled luvdisk evo
I know the new sea turtle pokemon (I think he's a fossil pokemon in Black/White) was a recycled Generation 1 or 2 pokemon.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Beastialman said:
VanQQisH said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

Actually they can both be played on an old Gameboy. The immediate way to tell the difference between a GB and a GBA game is a little notch in the right corner. If it doesn't have that then its a GBA game.
I wasn't talking about GBA, I was talking about GBC, as in Gameboy Color. Aren't GBA games little rectangular cartidges rather than square. I get the feeling you knew what I meant and just mistyped. If that's the case then all is well.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
I'm not the hugest fan of pokemon, but i've always been fascinated about the glitched pokemon.

As most fans know, missingno was a placeholder pokemon for programming, as it's been in every single pokemon game since the first two. Though what many people don't know is that their's lots of glitched pokemon you can access using a hex editor on a emulator, or a gameshark code.

All these glitched pokemon (the pokegods as they are called) with the original 151 goes up to 190, so in reality their's forty of these glitched pokemon. Which as TC suggested may be the all the scrapped pokemon from the orginal vision of the game.

You can fight these wierd glitched pokemon, however they do some utterly random things to your game while you fight them.

For example, this is a battle with one of the pokegods called .4

This is a list of all the known pokegods.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Glitch_Pok%C3%A9mon

You may be wondering why their isn't forty listed, mainly because their data was scrapped completely out of the game, and instead had glitched trainers in the hex.

Apr 28, 2008
Amarok said:
I already knew, so I feel... hungry?

151 was all the poor blighters had the space for. Having said that they could have traded Mr. Mime out for a better design, surely...
And Jynx. And Execcutor. Seriously, a psychic palm tree that evolved from eggs? Really?

OT: I've known about that for a while. Interesting stuff, but thats about all I feel on the matter.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
(Sorry for thread necromancy)Of the orginal 190 pokémon, 39 were removed, leaving 151.
I checked this, apparently the Tyranitar line was among the 39 cut, which would be interesting (it would have turned the whole Psychic superiority on its head, what with dark types being immune) but I'm not suprised it was cut (a new type to invent would have been hard).

Among others pokémon for the Safari Park would have been cut (ones like aipom, Girafarig and the Donphan line, y'know, pokémon that look like animals you'd find on a safari) and explains the ......odd choices they made for 'mons in the park.

After that it's suprisingly easy how many you can figure out are newer, for instance any that evolve through happiness, trade with items, baby evolutions or through time of day (that's ~30 out the window) as well as typing (remember, no dark or steel types yet) and the Gen 2 starters are definately new, just kind of proves how much closer Gold/Silver were to Gen 1 than any other of the generations were to their predecessors.

Ryu-Kage

May 6, 2011
I have heard this before, and it warrants some speculation about what could've been, I guess. Some thoughts I have about the list.

- Going by the National Dex numbers, the ones that could have been in sooner are the Johto Pokemon from Scizor onward (except for Celebi).

- Scizor was going to exist from the start. So Scyther could've evolved in first gen. But he was exclusive to the Red Version, while his Green Version rival Pinsir never could evolve.

- Heracross is here. Perhaps Heracross was supposed to be Pinsir's rival originally, while Scyther and Scizor existed as their own entity without rivals.

- Swinub and Piloswine are there. They didn't get really good until Mamoswine came along, but having these guys around would've been a better temptation toward Seafoam Island then Seel.

- Is it possible that the Steel and Dark types were originally planned and just excluded for some reason? I see Scizor and Skarmory in here, as well as Houndour, Houndoom, Sneasel and Tyranitar. Would've been lame if Scizor was simply a Bug-Flying Pokemon. DAMMIT, GAME FREAK! Why did you take out the types that made Psychic Pokemon not broken?

- Phanpy and Donphan! Awesome! Donphan and Ho-Oh were the only GS Pokemon revealed before Gold and Silver were announced that are on this list, aren't they? Togepi, Marill, and Snubbull must not have been designed at this point yet or something.

- All of the Gold and Silver legendaries except Celebi are on this list. If they were all introduced here, what legends would've enticed us to Gold and Silver?

- Gloom's alternate evolution Bellossom is missing. Maybe that was so the Oddish line could be the rivals of the Bellsprout line.

- Eevee couldn't evolve into Espeon or Umbreon apparently. Were they not designed yet? Or were they just excluded totally for lack evolution possibilities? If they were in this game, I'm gonna guess that the Moon Stone would have evolved Eevee into Umbreon. But there was no Sun Stone in Red and Green. And the Leaf Stone wouldn't make much sense to evolve into Espeon (unless Leafeon was designed all the way back then).

- Dragonite wouldn't be alone as a fully-evolved Dragon because Kingdra's there. But the Gengar line would've still been the only Ghost Pokemon at the time.

- The inclusion of possible 2nd-Gen Pokemon tells me that Gold and Silver are intended to be either sequels or expansions of Red and Green.

- More random thought: Would players have gotten mad if, in the Japanese Blue version (or Yellow version) they actually did fully code some of these Pokemon? I think it would be interesting if in 6th-Gen, the programmers design a lot of new Pokemon but not release several of them in the first two versions, but wait until the third game to actually let players use them. So, the Topaz and Amethyst Versions (or whatever they're gonna be called) might have enemy trainers using certain Pokemon, but the players wouldn't be able to find them in the wild until the "Jade Version" came out. I think it would be a neat experiment to see the reaction.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I discover about that fact a couple of years ago. Did you also know that the reason why the statue in Pokemon Red and Blue is Rhydon is that Rhydon was the first Pokemon they created.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Not betrayed.

Do not forget that the original team working on Pokemon was like 3 people. Look to where it has grown today, so much more potential to be had.