Latest classical song/suite you've heard.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Hello ladies and gentlemen. I was wondering if you could share the latest classical piece you've enjoyed.

I heard some Haydn while driving today and I listened for the title after the song. It put me in a good mood.

So let's enjoy some classical music.

*puts on monocle*

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Manfred Overture by Schumann

Without the opening appluase, of course, though most of the youtube versions are really old 1940's recordings... didn't realise so many of them existed...

Taldeer

Apr 15, 2009
Very nice topic, sir. I've got two suggestions which have been on my playlist (internal or otherwise) for a while now.

Bela Bartok... no words.

Philip Glass's first violin concerto, second movement has shaped the way I see the world today. Last year around this time (very near my birthday, in fact) I learned he had written a second violin concerto. Besides the feeling of my skin wanting to get up and walk away, in a good way, I know not how to describe the way this music makes me feel.

thylasos

Aug 12, 2009
I listen to Modest Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition about once a week.

Here's a bit of a snippet, which ought to be recognisable to anyone on nodding terms at the local shop with classical music...

alittlepepper

Feb 14, 2010
Was listening to the brandenburg concertos all day, actually. Is a lovely small orchestra that plays them brilliantly. Here's a link for ya.
Number one, part one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpf38dQpMzk Just goes on from there. Though I think some of the videos are a bit broken, as a heads up.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I was listening to my All-state band of I believe 2000's performance of Holst's Mars: Bringer of War [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KYJOLM8SUE]

Just pretend that this is an amateur recording of a band composed of the sort-of elite of High School and that is what it actually sounds like ;)

But of course I was in it, so it must have been the best. I was HELL of rocking that second clarinet part.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Corelli's Christmas Concerto, I have to perform it in a few months so I thought I'd hear it a few times just to make sure I'm doing it right.

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
coldfrog said:
Mars: Bringer of War
Classical brofist right there. Picked up an LP of Holst when I was a nipper, blew me away (though my SO has a wide on for Jupiter instead).

Personally I love Barber's Adagio for strings too, but my latest (and a family favourite) has to be Carmen.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
alittlepepper said:
Was listening to the brandenburg concertos all day, actually. Is a lovely small orchestra that plays them brilliantly. Here's a link for ya.
Number one, part one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zpf38dQpMzk Just goes on from there. Though I think some of the videos are a bit broken, as a heads up.
For someone who really enjoys Bach's music, I'm not that big of a fan of the Brandenburg Concertos, much preferring the 'standalone' pieces (violin concerto in A-minor, concerto in D-minor for three harpsichords etc.).

alittlepepper

Feb 14, 2010
SckizoBoy said:
alittlepepper said:
For someone who really enjoys Bach's music, I'm not that big of a fan of the Brandenburg Concertos, much preferring the 'standalone' pieces (violin concerto in A-minor, concerto in D-minor for three harpsichords etc.).
That's fine. I don't enjoy every single part of the concertos either, but there are some that are iconic and instantly recognizable in those works, and for good reason. It's because they're good. The Brandenburgs are among my favorites...or at least certain parts thereof...so I listen to them semi-regularly.