Latest game blamed for Connecticut shooting

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
Well, I've been playing Arkham City, and I can`t help but feel a powerful urge to don a bat-outfit and proceed to mete out vigilante justice. Society beware!
Hey! It's games like Arkham City that ruin Halloween costume contests, you insensitive brute!

Kiyeri said:
Well, I've been playing Minecraft recently. Time to go punch some trees because the game made me do it. Not at all my own free will deciding to go punch a tree or else some mental disorder saying that punching trees is good. Nope, Minecraft infested my brain and made me.
Dude, Minecraft totally made me manufacture chunks of dirt and wood to build fort in my backyard from which I lob foam arrows at passing children while screaming "Back you damned creepers! Back I say!" I also may have compromised the structural integrity of the neighborhood by digging an extensive system of tunnels to harvest the various mineral (which looked suspiciously like plumbing and electrical wires) to facilitate building of said fort.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
The fact that this stuff is even news is more than enough proof that videogames don't cause anyone to become violent. The connection is not videogames, but the fact that all of these people have been mentally unstable. If it wasn't the case, we'd be having mass murders every single day.

In other news, I've been playing The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time Master Quest and Paper Mario. I've even played shooters in franchises such as Doom, Quake, 007, Half-Life, and Halo. I'm also very interested in trying out Serious Sam. Guess how that's affected me? Not in the slightest!

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Welp...I'm gonna go catch them all now. Keep them all in my basement (or in my attic if I run out of room) Pokemon made me do it.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Preparing to play some more Skyrim soon.

After that... well... there's this ticket to Norway here as well as a broadsword...

Ariyura

Oct 18, 2008
I'm playing Persona 3, if I nail myself with an evoker, the game made me do it.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
They're blaming Starcraft? Really?

,,,Do you even shoot people in Starcraft? To my knowledge, it's a futuristic army simulator-thing. [sub]I've never played it so please don't be mad at me[/sub]

Why are people so reluctant to realize that some people are just messed up? Is it really that much easier to just say "VIDJA GHERMS MADE HIM DO IT" and be done with the story?

Vitagen

Apr 25, 2010
Ljs1121 said:
Why are people so reluctant to realize that some people are just messed up? Is it really that much easier to just say "VIDJA GHERMS MADE HIM DO IT" and be done with the story?
I don't think it's an issue of ease. I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but the US's televised news generally amounts to little more than sensationalism. For whatever reason, decrying video games for "causing violence" draws in viewers; or at least, news agencies have reason to believe it does.

From CNN's point of view, it doesn't matter whether it makes any sense or not. How many people watching that story do you think had even heard of Starcraft before CNN brought it up? As long as it keeps making them money, CNN and other news agencies will continue to draw out the "killer found to have tenuous connection to video games" script every time some horrible like this happens.

**EDIT**
And now that pretty much fucking everyone plays games in some capacity or another, it's only going to get worse . . .

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Does this mean all these hours of hunting in Far Cry 3 are gonna make me go out and skin animals?

Well, shit...ya'll better hide Fluffy, Sparky, and Muffins.
:D

OT:
Yay...more retards.
Uck.

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
video games being treated as a scapegoat violence once again... what a shocker(sarcasm)
have they considered this guy was emotionally dis-balanced and was not complacently sane. also playing video games is a normal activity so saying the shooter played video game does not say much at all.

i will just throw this video in here. i don't feel like typing more then this

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
I think the most shocking thing to me is that this isn't even Fox, it's CNN. If it was Fox I'd just brush it off as them being the crazy sensationalists that they are, but this means that their crazy sensationalism is infecting news outlets that are supposed to be better than that.

Also, this is retarded. What's next? Blaming Spyro for letting you burn and headbutt enemies?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Crono1973 said:
Well, I have been playing Harvest Moon so I obviously want to go milk a cow. Watch out world!
You monster, I bet you even thought about making cheese or something more devious!

OT: It's irritating to have people who've no concept of a subject parading facts around like this. Personally if it wasn't for GTA3 in high school I'd have probably snapped and wound up swinging at someones face for the crap I had to put up with. I wound up killing roughly 650k people in the game, every day I'd come home and just burn off stress in the game and after I'd feel ready for the rest of the day.

Honestly, I STILL do this. I have my games for story and when I'm not stressed out like nuts but then I have Saints Row 3 when I feel like any kind of story is stupid and needs a bumper to take it's snobby ass down a few notches! ...Then I go play Mass Effect for plot dumps to the brain. Codex update? Yes please!

dagens24

Mar 20, 2004
I actually don't find this funny at all; more infuriatingly outrageous. Star fucking Craft? Are you fucking kidding me? Ignorant parents will see this shit and it'll reinforce their already fucked up views.

FUCK.THIS.SHIT.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
The media's getting REALLY desperate if they're now resorting to blaming a freaking RTS where you kill aliens as being an influence on making people violent.

RedRuby185

Dec 12, 2012
IT'S DURAN!!!!!!!!!!!. KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!!.

OT: These people really have no common sense do they. They must trolling the gaming community to get some sort response because this level of stupid is just... my brain cells are dying.

why do I feel that Starcraft just got a popularity increase because of this.(buying the game just to spite CNN)

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Damn, I shouldn't have played all that Minecraft.
Now I'm gonna start killing people left and right and start taking out mountains and forests with my bare hands. Next stop: Bedrock!

See ya, suckers!

StashAugustine

Jan 21, 2012
Starcraft?
Starcraft?
Seriously, that's only marginally more violent than my old Avalon Hill hex-and-chit wargames. At least Mass Effect revolves around applying bullet-like objects to heads and similar.

MagunBFP

Sep 7, 2012
This guy might be onto something... if you listen carefully you'll see the reporter is asking about Video Games but the professor answers saying that MEDIA violence increases agression.

If only the news didn't show so much violence we all would be much calmer less agressive people