Latest Mighty No. 9 Gameplay Footage and Characters Revealed

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Seeing this sparks my interest in this game, shame it's still more than a year away.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
WhiteTigerShiro said:
It can get as close to Mega Man as it wants just shy of using any copyrighted characters or music. I'm sure it gets slightly more complicated than that, but you get the gist of it. There have been games that were even more blatant about ripping-off some popular game du jour.
True.
If Zynga can get away with outright code theft, then a legitimate team making their own content from scratch should be fine.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
GamerMage said:
vagabondwillsmile said:
Mighty No. 7 -- Wow, someone's been reading Corey Lewis' "Sharknife" graphic novels (it's pretty awesome btw)! I've been kind of in the dark and not really following this game but I'm starting to get really excited for it.

I dig the Mega Man X style gameplay. I don't really care for the idea of a congratulatory message after every single enemy killed though. I wish they would abandon that; unless it is necessary as an indicator to string a combo to get something - and I mean something relevant to gameplay, and not some acheivement. Otherwise an explosion is all that is needed. The character designs are cool (No. 1 is awesome) - the concepts and ideas behind them are really interesting, but is it just me or does the artwork itself look like it lacks some polish (No.'s 5 and 6 especially)? I'm sure everything will look great in-game. Looking forward to it!
Tell me MORE about this..."Sharknife" graphic novels you speak of. I've Googled the name, and I'm amazed by the art. Please leabortae.
I don't want to risk derailing the forum discussion for something that's just tangentially related to the topic (besides, telling the story and so on might ruin the experience of reading it for you for and others). So, I'll just tell you to get both available volumes from his website (reyyy); you'll get redirected to amazon. They aren't expensive - I highly, HIGHLY recommend them. So much energy (especially in the second volume)!

OT: I rewatched the footage and at 1:02 the dash/jump backwards is cool, and so is the dash down (stomp?) at 1:17. I wonder what other mechanics and maneuvers No. 9 has.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Atmos Duality said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
It can get as close to Mega Man as it wants just shy of using any copyrighted characters or music. I'm sure it gets slightly more complicated than that, but you get the gist of it. There have been games that were even more blatant about ripping-off some popular game du jour.
True.
If Zynga can get away with outright code theft, then a legitimate team making their own content from scratch should be fine.
Well, considering this is Inafune's baby, I'm willing to bet that any such concerns are less of a blanket copyright issue, and more of a specific, contractual nature. During his tenure at Capcom, we don't know what rights, or to what extent, Inafune retains regarding his involvement in Mega Man developement. Depending on his contract with Capcom, he could retain extensive rights to his intellectual contribution, with which he is enabled to freely do as he pleases. Though again, the particulars of this would be something we don't (and can't) know. It should be safe to say, regardless, that he is profoundly aware of where lies the line he shall not cross, as it would all have been laid out in his contracts with Capcom while in their employ.