Lawsuit? What Lawsuit?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Lawsuit? What Lawsuit?

EA have rebuffed threats of legal action by a group of retired NFL players for using their likenesses without permission.

Fresh from the battle with the NFL Players Association, a battle that netted them $28.1 million, a group of more than 2,000 retired NFL players announced their intention to sue EA for including them in the Madden NFL games without permission via an open letter [http://davepear.com/blog/2009/04/bernie-parrish-maddens-retirement/] on the blog of Bernie Parrish, former halfback for the Cleveland Browns.

The letter alleges that EA conspired with the NFLPA to cheat the players out of their due compensation by 'scrambling' the players' identities and entreats them to save $1,000 from their settlement for a 'litigation war chest'. And EA's response to these accusations?

"This is a dispute between the retired players and their union," a spokesperson said. "We are not aware of any legal action involving EA."

Now this comment is technically true, as the letter only announced their intentions to pursue the matter further, but given that the Madden NFL franchise is a major money maker for EA, we might have expected something a little more robust than "La la la, I can't hear you!" Regardless, it seems that litigation is going to feature pretty heavily in EA's future.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173926]

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
"Maybe if I focus reeealy hard on something else the bad men will go away..."

Call me cynical (it's a pointed accusation) but do they really need more money? Either party?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
How much could a load of old roid-monkies get from E.A, anyway?

"They used my stuff... and things. I didn't say they could!"

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Labyrinth said:
"Maybe if I focus reeealy hard on something else the bad men will go away..."

Call me cynical (it's a pointed accusation) but do they really need more money? Either party?
The ex-players who played in the 70's and 80's, before the salaries got ridiculous (average salary was ~200K/year), retired after 2 years (the league average), and are now living on minimum wage, or are on the streets would like a word with you.

Seriously, look up some of the stories. The NFL doesn't care about retirees, and the player's association is far too concerned with getting the cap raised, so their current star players can land another million. It's sad what some ex-pro football players are going through, while some are sitting on 5 mansions and a helicopter.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
The in-house lawyers at game companies are some of the sharpest folks in the business. The amount of theoretical work, vague laws, and enormous mountains of cash at stake mean they are constantly dealing with issues that hardly anyone understands and one f*** up will cost their client millions. So I wouldn't underestimate them.

Since EA paid for the license to NFL and distributes royalties to that organization from the game, they're just handling the situation by politely reminding these players that whatever money they would get from the licensing is technically with a third party.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Nomadic said:
SilentHunter7 said:
before the salaries got ridiculous (average salary was ~200K/year
... $200 000 per year *is* a ridiculous salary.
I think an Average Polish person would die for 1/10 or 1/30 of that.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Nomadic said:
SilentHunter7 said:
For any 'normal' job, yes, but considering what they do for a living? I take it you've never played high-school ball. They dont just play on Sundays, during the week, they put in AT LEAST 10 hours a day, every day. Even in the off-season. How else do you think they do stuff like this? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGlxQeugsHI&feature=related] Or this? [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct43q3mZNrA]

What would you pay them? 100,000? 50? 30? For what? So that the franchise can make billions, while they kill themselves for 2-3 years [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGvq-ptJEVo&annotation_id=annotation_344656&feature=iv], and wont have shit afterwards to show for it? I played 5 years of High-School ball, and I have knee and back problems. I can only imagine what it's like in the NFL, where they guys are 300 pounds, and hit you at 100 MPH.

Even without the job itself, I'd have trouble living off of $600,000. (avg. 3 years salary) That's $17,000 a year for the rest of my life, if I started at 25 and live to be 60. Add in a $50K/year mundane job, and that goes up to $67K/year. I might be able to afford a small house, a decent car, and pay into a decent 401K, and have money for retirement...if the economy didn't decide to collapse the year I retired. And I didn't have any complications from playing pro football, that required huge medical expenses. If that's your idea of ridiculous, I'd hate to see what you'd consider normal.

And keep in mind, that's only for the average player back then. Many were FAR, FAR worse off. Hence the reason a lot of old players are sleeping on park benches right now. While the majority of the player's association is making 7 figures.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Abedeus said:
Nomadic said:
SilentHunter7 said:
Wow, glad I live in the US, you can make 150-300 k managing a Target/targets.
@ Nomadic, 200k per year really isn't that much, after taxes its more 120k, hardly a lot of money, pretty middle class if you ask me.
Plus when you figure they only played a few years, it really isn't very much.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
sneakypenguin said:
Abedeus said:
Nomadic said:
SilentHunter7 said:
@ Nomadic, 200k per year really isn't that much, after taxes its more 120k, hardly a lot of money, pretty middle class if you ask me.
Woah, you have 40% tax? And I thought our 7-22% is bad.

SilentHunter7 said:
Abedeus said:
Nomadic said:
SilentHunter7 said:
Well the average polish person doesn't need to pay U.S. costs of living.
Depends on the place. In Tricity or Warsaw, prices are horrible.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Abedeus said:
sneakypenguin said:
Abedeus said:
Nomadic said:
SilentHunter7 said:
Woah, you have 40% tax? And I thought our 7-22% is bad.
yeah we pay 9% sales tax, 12.5% social security, 1.5% medicare, 28% income tax, property taxes (about 1000+ per year for my family), plus all the other fees for whatever you use, wheel tax, car tag tax, etc.

Shit thats 51%, gotta suck working half the year for free.
I'm in a slightly lower(okay very low since I'm going to college) tax bracket so I only pay... 15% income tax. So it would be 40 for me, but if you have any sort of decent job... now i'm irked that we pay so much. lol

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Labyrinth said:
but do they really need more money? Either party?
Of course!
As you well know, money buys happiness.
And can you really ever have enough happiness?

I think the answer is obvious.
Booze Zombie said:
How much could a load of old roid-monkies get from E.A, anyway?

"They used my stuff... and things. I didn't say they could!"
I am suddenly reminded of preschool.
"Teacher, he's using my toys and didn't ask!"
I for one hated when that happened.
It was my turn with the blocks.

Glerken

Dec 18, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Glerken said:
I for one hated when that happened.
It was my turn with the blocks.
************ best be dropping your blocks, otherwise you will "pop a cap" in his posterior.
I know I would.
Damn straight.
I just wanted to build a tower, but some asshole had to be stealing my blocks.