League of Legends "A New Dawn" Cinematic Features New And Old

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
RJ 17 said:
major_chaos said:
Also: I want a cinematic with my main-man Karthus, damnit!
Me too. At the ending there, when the doom ray fell from the sky, I forgot about Leonna's abilities for a second and thought it was his Requiem (even if it looked a bit too wholesome). Shame there, I was excited.

I'll never get the complaints that the actual game doesn't look as good as cinematics. I mean...yes, obviously? In cinematics, you control every little detail and don't have to plan for the insane number of things players can and will do in game, all while making it look coherent and awesome. Plus, they want to keep the game open to as many people as possible. The thing would chug like crazy with 5-10 connections at that resolution, and if you don't have a powerful gaming pc, nice knowing you.

I'm hoping one of my mains show up in a trailer one of these days. I suppose Zil isn't really action material, but surely Karthus for "villain" factor or Vlad for similar could work?

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
For whatever reason, I've never been a huge fan of Riot's cinematics, though I understand why a lot of people like them. That said, it was amusing that they played Ahri off as one of the 'definitively good' champions, seeing as she's essentially a soul-devouring serial killer.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
loa said:
Steven Bogos said:
If you enjoyed that, you might want to check out its "Behind The Scenes [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q40IfQbYlSw]," video. In this video, Riot explains that they love making cinematic like A New Dawn because it helps them expand on the story and the lore of the League of Legends world and the characters that inhabit it.
What story?
The only story I got out of this was "and then they beat the living shit out of each other".
I don't even know why they're fighting.

You want story and actual characters in animation shorts, look at team fortress 2.
Those shorts actually bother to tell stories and are more than someone smashing their action figures against each other.

Would it really kill them to explain stuff?
To actually explain and expand on at least the setting in some manner?
To have some dialogue maybe?
Cause all I get out of these is some animators masturbating. Really vapid.
The last one they made didn't even have a cohesive story. Just snippits of battles here and there between different champions. From your post though I think you are just bitter. You want a story? The story is this is probably how actual matches on Summoner's Rift play out. It gave us a glimpse into their world. You just didn't want to see it.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Fappy said:
That was so much cooler than the actual game itself. Makes me kinda sad, actually XD
Cinematic trailers always are sadly. Gears of War and Halo for example had some incredible trailers that had a lot more emotion than the games they were a part of.

OT: I liked the trailer quite a bit. Enough to give the game a chance anyway. Although I've played DOTA2 and so far this seems like it's more or less identical except the playable characters.
loa said:
Steven Bogos said:
If you enjoyed that, you might want to check out its "Behind The Scenes [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q40IfQbYlSw]," video. In this video, Riot explains that they love making cinematic like A New Dawn because it helps them expand on the story and the lore of the League of Legends world and the characters that inhabit it.
What story?
The only story I got out of this was "and then they beat the living shit out of each other".
I don't even know why they're fighting.

You want story and actual characters in animation shorts, look at team fortress 2.
Those shorts actually bother to tell stories and are more than someone smashing their action figures against each other.

Would it really kill them to explain stuff?
To actually explain and expand on at least the setting in some manner?
To have some dialogue maybe?
Cause all I get out of these is some animators masturbating. Really vapid.
As much as I enjoyed the "Meet The ..." videos, they aren't any different except they talk and are funny. We don't have any motivation for what they are doing either. I have heard there are comics and such that have more detail, but that's not what we are discussing so doesn't count.

Sure, we have more characterisation than the above video, but not by much.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
Tsukuyomi said:
major_chaos said:
two bigs things jumpped out at me when watching this:
1. Ahri had one tail. Was it just suppose to be all nine so close together that it looked like one and they just failed to convey that, or did they somehow fuck up something that is in her freaking name?

2. It was shockingly gory and violent. That's not to say I was offended or anything, just that LoL, even in trailers, normally has very clean PG violence, while this was quite brutal. It fits really well with my opinion that when you think about it LoL has some very grim implications, with everyone dying horribly and reincarnating seconds later.
Interestingly before they nuked the game's major source of lore, one of the things mentioned was that when a champion is killed in a match, the mental link they have with their summoner is broken, both get a nasty shock, and the champion is teleported back to wherever he or she was when she was originally summoned. Ezreal apparently often complains about being dragged away from exploring or archaeology efforts by a League summoning since the gauntlet he found and uses has a summoning spell attached to it, so he has no choice in the matter.

The psychological effects on both summoners and champions must get pretty bad over time. With the exception of inhuman creatures like Hecarim, Fiddlesticks, and Nocturne, I'd imagine most of them at one point or another would not want to go back.
That part of LoL lore always seemed skeevy to me. They're telling us that the most elite of LoL's world need to be directly, completely mind controlled in order to be any good in a battle? You're telling me that Demacia's crown prince would let himself be crowd controlled rather than do his own battles? Iffy, squick territory mind control issues asides that just seems off. But then, the whole idea of the League is to set political disputes through fights in staged areas but then you suddenly people from rivalling nations fighting side by side in the game... so what exactly are they fighting over if opposing warriors are on the same team?

As to the trailer, the CGI looks oddly dated, a bit too plastic for its own good. I think the dim lighting conditions of the previous CGI trailer served their style a lot better than bringing characters in the same style out into broad daylight. And the lack of dialogue is kinda lame, as it's a wasted opportunity to establish personality and team dynamics further, but then, dialogue was never their forté, most champions in LoL have at best two minutes of dialogue if you play all their clips back to back, whereas in Dota 2 various heroes run up to twenty minutes of dialogue in total. This added character and personality is a good part of why I ended up settling on Dota 2 when I started on both that and LoL back in January of last year. Oh well, seems like they don't even want to use trailers to expand on their limited, shakily written lore and give it some weight.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Tactical Pause said:
For whatever reason, I've never been a huge fan of Riot's cinematics, though I understand why a lot of people like them. That said, it was amusing that they played Ahri off as one of the 'definitively good' champions, seeing as she's essentially a soul-devouring serial killer.
Ahri is a repentant former-soul-devouring killer. Fluff is, she joined the League of Legends because apparently they can grant her humanity without her having to kill anymore.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
1: HA! Only like, 4 of the champions in that trailer are viable in any way (Leona, Ahri, Draven and Jax).

2: People complaining about Ahri's tails being wrong having been paying attention in-game; whenever she uses her Ult, or moves above a certain speed she folds her tails into one big tail. Since she spends most of this video sprinting/running, its accurate to show only one tail.

3: Leona charging straight through the tree is a nice touch.

4: Dat Nautilus entrance.

5: If only you were that much of a badass in-game Graves.

6: The burning question.......how much camel toe did Rengar just get to see?

gewata

Mar 21, 2009
Pedro The Hutt said:
Tsukuyomi said:
major_chaos said:
two bigs things jumpped out at me when watching this:
1. Ahri had one tail. Was it just suppose to be all nine so close together that it looked like one and they just failed to convey that, or did they somehow fuck up something that is in her freaking name?

2. It was shockingly gory and violent. That's not to say I was offended or anything, just that LoL, even in trailers, normally has very clean PG violence, while this was quite brutal. It fits really well with my opinion that when you think about it LoL has some very grim implications, with everyone dying horribly and reincarnating seconds later.
Interestingly before they nuked the game's major source of lore, one of the things mentioned was that when a champion is killed in a match, the mental link they have with their summoner is broken, both get a nasty shock, and the champion is teleported back to wherever he or she was when she was originally summoned. Ezreal apparently often complains about being dragged away from exploring or archaeology efforts by a League summoning since the gauntlet he found and uses has a summoning spell attached to it, so he has no choice in the matter.

The psychological effects on both summoners and champions must get pretty bad over time. With the exception of inhuman creatures like Hecarim, Fiddlesticks, and Nocturne, I'd imagine most of them at one point or another would not want to go back.
That part of LoL lore always seemed skeevy to me. They're telling us that the most elite of LoL's world need to be directly, completely mind controlled in order to be any good in a battle? You're telling me that Demacia's crown prince would let himself be crowd controlled rather than do his own battles? Iffy, squick territory mind control issues asides that just seems off. But then, the whole idea of the League is to set political disputes through fights in staged areas but then you suddenly people from rivalling nations fighting side by side in the game... so what exactly are they fighting over if opposing warriors are on the same team?
Actually I think its stated somewhere that the champion does the fighting and the summoner basically tells them where to go and where their allies are. I think its a way to explain away allied vision and other such stuff. And a lot of the matches are exhibition matches, the league is a big spectator sport,

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
conmag9 said:
I'm hoping one of my mains show up in a trailer one of these days. I suppose Zil isn't really action material, but surely Karthus for "villain" factor or Vlad for similar could work?
And it has to be Karthus in his Grim Reaper skin or else it just won't be worth it. :p

But yeah...how can you complain that a CG cinematic looks better than the game? Has there EVER been a game where the gameplay looks as good as the cg cinematics? We're talking about a game with a top-down view where you can barely make out the details of the character's face (in a lot of cases)...how is that supposed to compare to a fully-rendered CGI movie that allows focus on details?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Paragon Fury said:
6: The burning question.......how much camel toe did Rengar just get to see?
I'm pretty sure Kat split a seam in that scene. I'm surprised there wasn't a big *RIIIIIIP!* sound to go along with it. :p

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Well, I liked it, despite not really playing LoL. (Nothing against the game, just not a fan of RTS controls in competitive real-time environments.)

Chuckled at the bit with the log: *hop* *skip* *CRUNCH*

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
conmag9 said:
I'd like to see Pantheon or Lucian myself.

Karthus would be a GREAT villian. Espically with his recent update which turned him from "Guy in goofy clothes who talked about dead people a lot" to "Creepy as Hell spirit that's pretty much death incarnate." Freaking LOVED that update. Hoping to see him. Especially his Death Defied combined with Requiem. If that's not an awesome way to die I don't know what is.

Tactical Pause

Jan 6, 2010
Absolutionis said:
Ahri is a repentant former-soul-devouring killer. Fluff is, she joined the League of Legends because apparently they can grant her humanity without her having to kill anymore.
Ah, then I was mistaken. It's been quite some time since I've read any champion's fluff text.

lastjustice

Jun 29, 2004
Eevee said:
Ha ha! ... If only the actual game was half as decent looking or half as fun looking as this trailer.
Yeah that's how I feel. I think the game should be called Cast of Cowards for how often you have run away from stuff. I don't enjoy constantly running away from fights. Like throw two attacks...run back behind my defense tower. Actually trying engage your opponent gets you killed...F that. I like RTS like Command and Conquer, and Warcraft(games where if you have right set up, no defense can stop you. Not this turrets kill everything crap, so I have wait for fodder take damage for because I am glass joe in combat this game has), I do not enjoy LoL. The game is F-N boring.

Slashe said:
Ajani, Elspeth and a possibly a few new planeswalkers.

But in all seriousness, it was still pretty fun
Yeah I was thinking magic: the gathering too hehe.

The Goat Tsar

Mar 17, 2010
Riot's cinematic trailers are always really good and always make me dislike the actual League of Legends that we play. Because nothing that happens in game is as cool as that. Plus, none of the champions in the trailer are any I actually play. I don't think any champion I play has ever been in a Riot cinematic actually.

I don't feel like this is a problem with cinematic trailers in general however. Blizzard trailers always get me excited for whatever new WoW expansion they're making, and I don't even play World of Warcraft anymore. Riot cinematics just leave me kinda sad.

Chaos Marine

Feb 6, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Steven Bogos said:
None of the characters speak a word throughout the whole video,
Not true! Katarina says "Woo!" after narrowly avoiding Rengar's attacks. One of the cuter moments in the video, really.
I'm not sure but I think that may be a sly reference to a hentai I vaguely remember seeing in which Rengar 'has his way' with Katrina. The entrance of Nautilus was quite epic too, he's an awesome tank and he's so beastly when even slightly fed.

The only real critique I'd have about it is that they refuse the same running away through the forest animation to cut corners. If they do another, I hope we get to see Viktor. He's my favourite.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Caramel Frappe said:
*Sees thread and adores the crap out of their new trailer*

*Sees people bashing on League of Legends*

... B-but ... I really like League of Legends and I loved the trailer. Just got into the game yesterday and it's amazing.. all well.
For what it's worth, most of them are DotA fanboys. It's along the lines of someone with a Playstation bashing everything that Microsoft does (or vice versa); or someone with either system bashing on everything Nintendo does.