The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
BrainWalker said:
maxy3d said:
The Wykydtron said:
carnege4 said:
ex951753 said:
This video made me realize for the very first time how there's little to no females on the pro gaming scene (at least to my knowledge). I'm not saying there has to be, and I realize statistically, there are lesser female gamers compared to male gamers. I just found it interesting that it's never occurred to me before.
You remember Team Siren and all that drama?
That's why you don't see females.

What they lasted a month and a half tops? TYPICAL WOMEN!

[sub][sub]I don't even know what that means[/sub][/sub]
Well that video certainly presents an insightful, nuanced critique of the Team Sirens situation, and wasn't at all contributing to latent gender bullshit in gaming culture.
Did you ever watch the original Sirens intro video? Honestly? Did you? The Dunkey version makes more sense XD

Putting aside the whole "first" female team (because let's be honest, there must be loads out there but these were the first ones who thought they could make a big deal of it) they were fuckin' shit. They were like high Gold and trying to compare themselves to people like TSM. They practically brought all the videos taking the piss out of them on themselves

They got absolutely stomped by TSM by the way. As in zero effort required.

Regardless of gender, put your money where your mouth is. Female teams can feed as hard as male teams y'know?

saruman31

Sep 30, 2010
It will be a cool anime just because it will have ugly characters. That`s pretty neat.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
carnege4 said:
ex951753 said:
This video made me realize for the very first time how there's little to no females on the pro gaming scene (at least to my knowledge). I'm not saying there has to be, and I realize statistically, there are lesser female gamers compared to male gamers. I just found it interesting that it's never occurred to me before.
You remember Team Siren and all that drama?
That's why you don't see females.
Never heard of them but that comment ya.. kinda sexist. I'm sure male teams have plenty of drama too that is just the nature of the beast.

As far as the actually anime goes, the animation is great but I don't like their decision to have the players take on aspects of what ever characters they are playing. As someone who doesn't play LOL and has only recently started playing Dota 2 I have no idea what or who each person was suppose to embody.

If someone asked me to do an anime about a professional E-sports team I'd do something like have an out of game world/drama with a few times a season showing them in some match but have their in game characters be voiced by them and perhaps take on some noticeable aspect of their actual players but not the other way around.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
The moment I saw this video I shed a slight tear knowing it was Studio Mir that animated it from the animators of the Legend of korra.

I don't really like League let alone know who the champs or players are but this was a great move by LoL for getting Studio Mir to animated their latest info ad.

r0seyp0m

Oct 11, 2012
ex951753 said:
That's not just in the pro gaming scene. There are very little female LoL players compared to male players in general.(wasn't the statistic like "only" 10% or so before? Not sure..)

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
kyonshee77 said:
ex951753 said:
That's not just in the pro gaming scene. There are very little female LoL players compared to male players in general.(wasn't the statistic like "only" 10% or so before? Not sure..)
I wasn't just referring to LoL. There are many other games played competitively such as Starcraft, Warcraft 3, CS, etc. Admittedly, I'm not up to date on most e-sport tournaments, but I've never heard of any female team, or players. Even the Siren team mentioned above was my first time hearing about them.

r0seyp0m

Oct 11, 2012
ex951753 said:
I wasn't just referring to LoL. There are many other games played competitively such as Starcraft, Warcraft 3, CS, etc. Admittedly, I'm not up to date on most e-sport tournaments, but I've never heard of any female team, or players. Even the Siren team mentioned above was my first time hearing about them.
Well true, but this was the case in atlethic sports as well. I think we'll see more female players rise to the top over time.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
Now this is how you promo a tourney! And I get to watch this in the morning with breakfast. Great way to start the day.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
BrainWalker said:
maxy3d said:

Well that video certainly presents an insightful, nuanced critique of the Team Sirens situation, and wasn't at all contributing to latent gender bullshit in gaming culture.
Did you ever watch the original Sirens intro video? Honestly? Did you? The Dunkey version makes more sense XD

Putting aside the whole "first" female team (because let's be honest, there must be loads out there but these were the first ones who thought they could make a big deal of it) they were fuckin' shit. They were like high Gold and trying to compare themselves to people like TSM. They practically brought all the videos taking the piss out of them on themselves

Regardless of gender, put your money where your mouth is. Female teams can feed as hard as male teams y'know?
Was the original video a little ridiculous? Yeah. Were Team Siren great players? Not really. Should they be mocked? I suppose that's a point of contention but this is the gaming community and if there's anything we love it's trash talking. My problem with this video isn't that it calls them out for acting like hot shit when they were lukewarm at best. That much is legit, but it goes beyond that. My problem with this video is that it overdubs them with moronic childlike voices and they're mocked for daring to suggest that the incredibly disproportionate gender balance in the LoL community might be something that women in the community should perhaps be concerned about and rally around. This sort of thing happens to women ALL THE TIME, especially in geek circles: They say something and they're dismissed and treated like stupid children. And of course this mocking video was made by a guy who equates examining those aforementioned disproportionate gender statistics with virulent man-hatred. Fuck that shit.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
BrainWalker said:
The Wykydtron said:
BrainWalker said:
maxy3d said:

Was the original video a little ridiculous? Yeah. Were Team Siren great players? Not really. Should they be mocked? I suppose that's a point of contention but this is the gaming community and if there's anything we love it's trash talking. My problem with this video isn't that it calls them out for acting like hot shit when they were lukewarm at best. That much is legit, but it goes beyond that. My problem with this video is that it overdubs them with moronic childlike voices and they're mocked for daring to suggest that the incredibly disproportionate gender balance in the LoL community might be something that women in the community should perhaps be concerned about and rally around. This sort of thing happens to women ALL THE TIME, especially in geek circles: They say something and they're dismissed and treated like stupid children. And of course this mocking video was made by a guy who equates examining those aforementioned disproportionate gender statistics with virulent man-hatred. Fuck that shit.
Putting aside people putting too much weight into funny Internet videos

I really don't get the vibe that Team Siren was trying to make a positive statement about women being underrepresented in League, I mean they did a little bit but they primarily used that fact selfishly as a crutch to throw themselves into the spotlight, rather than constructively. They used the sole reason that they were women to get attention and get stream views. That's a little bit wrong don't you think? Even, dare I say... Sexist? >.> <.<

There is a gender balance issue yes, but Team Siren did not help in the slightest, if anything I feel they hurt the image of women in League. Especially how they lasted about a month, they made themselves the representatives of all women then fucked it up entirely.

Ugh what am I doing? I'm partaking in sexism debates on 'Scapist. That's breaking one of my posting rules, it never ends well.

BrainWalker

Aug 6, 2009
The Wykydtron said:
BrainWalker said:
The Wykydtron said:
BrainWalker said:
maxy3d said:

Putting aside people putting too much weight into funny Internet videos

I really don't get the vibe that Team Siren was trying to make a positive statement about women being underrepresented in League, I mean they did a little bit but they primarily used that fact selfishly as a crutch to throw themselves into the spotlight, rather than constructively. They used the sole reason that they were women to get attention and get stream views. That's a little bit wrong don't you think? Even, dare I say... Sexist? >.> <.<

There is a gender balance issue yes, but Team Siren did not help in the slightest, if anything I feel they hurt the image of women in League. Especially how they lasted about a month, they made themselves the representatives of all women then fucked it up entirely.

Ugh what am I doing? I'm partaking in sexism debates on 'Scapist. That's breaking one of my posting rules, it never ends well.
I really need to learn how to collapse these nested quotations without just deleting them altogether.

Anyway, debates on anything in gamer culture, or indeed the culture at large, if current government shenanigans are any indication, tend to be pointless because everyone's so entrenched in their own positions they're not even willing to listen to what other people have to say. I try not to do that, but I'm human and sometimes it happens. But that's not what I'm doing here.

I'll admit I don't really follow LoL or its community or its drama or really even play it. I did some research on the whole "Team Siren" thing, but that means I got a condensed version and I wasn't really a part of it while it was happening. I don't think that "girl power" is necessarily a bad thing, especially in a male-dominated culture, and it's something that guys have trouble understanding. But I'm also not a time-traveling mind-reader so I can't really say what they were trying to do. Clearly whatever it was, they didn't do it very well. I'm just saying, with some distance from the fiasco, I'm not really fond of the dismissive infantilizing tone of the mock video. That's really my only point of contention here.

Also, I'm not a fan of the "it's just a joke" defense. I'm a big fan of comedy, and humor is as valid a method to deliver a message as any other form of expression. You post a cute cat video, you're probably not saying much other than that cats are adorable. You post a video where you take away a woman's voice, replace it with incoherent childish babbling, you're saying more than "these guys acted unprofessionally." When you translate "90% of LoL players are men" to "men are shitty," you're making a statement even if it is just a joke. Basically what this video is doing is meeting sexism with sexism, and two wrongs don't make a right, or a good joke.

Is it sexist to come in on your high horse saying "We are women, hear us roar," and draw attention to yourself based on being female? Yeah, probably, in the same way that "cracker" and "******" are both technically racist epithets. Ideally they would have simply existed and played the game and that would have been that, but, you know, I can't believe anyone is surprised that League of Legends players acted obnoxiously.