League of Legends Developer Shows How Raging Loses Games

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Keeping a cool head and working together as a team in multiplayer objective focused games is essential in all games that do it, not just LoL.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
shadowmagus said:
Only in League of Legends would something this obvious need to be spelled out in a two-minute video.
Yup, and the sad thing is, any rager who watched this video is probably thinking: "ya, why do so many of my idiot teammates always do this. I am so good, but everyone I play with is so bad."

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Yeah I really don't think this is going to make the brunt of the angsty meltdown LoL crowd find the idea that being nice and winning 1.7 more games is more appealing than shouting at people like Mel Gibson on a drunken hate fueled bender.

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
I've actually stopped playing normal games. My entire recent matches listing are all bot games due to the simple matter that I just have more fun there.

It's not always a toxicity thing, either. Getting completely stomped game after game is insane demoralizing and when I don't have fun with a game; I don't play.

FrozenCones

Dec 31, 2009
DalekJaas said:
Should try playing the Oceania server, normally Australians are very good at online games but in LoL its not stop rage and some people actually call for surrender votes. Also the standard of play is much worse than NA, which probably explains the constant rage.
Its interesting you should mention that. There was apparently quite a bit of bad sportsmanship at the Riot booth during PAX AU. They had live games and shoutcasting and allegedly some of the players were quite toxic towards each other.

Its one of the reasons why I dont play that much anymore. It is a shame since I enjoy LoL a lot but I play purely for fun and dont want the hassle of putting up with childish behaviour and trolling.

EDIT: I wanted to add this video.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
Don't forget, correlation does not mean causation. It could be that losing causes more raging, not raging causes more losses. Obviously teams that are losing with have more losses, and when a team is losing players are more prone to raging. I am not stating raging is a good thing, just that use of these stats is pretty flawed.

To further my point, in Dota 2 the team that buys mekansm first wins over 60% of the time (it's one of the items both teams almost always buys). Does that mean you should rush mek as fast as possible foregoing things like regen? No. Teams that get mek first tend to be winning the early game, and that is the true causation for the high win rate. So sure, there is a correlation between mek and higher win rates, but mek is not the true cause.

Borania

Aug 24, 2009
Karloff said:
Sportsmanlike players win 1.7 more games than the rest, says Riot, and if you happen to be one of those that leaps on the slightest hint of poor play with venom and Mom jokes, then you're not just pounding that player, you're pounding your team's chance of winning.
According to the video this isn't exactly true, they say that sportsmanlike players win 1.7 million more games every day. Sadly without knowing how they got that number and how many games are played a day this number really doesn't say all that much.

It's a good video, but I'm just not sure about that number

DaViller

Sep 3, 2013
I just love it when companys think im some sort of drooling idiot. Any kid who ever played a game of football can tell you as much as.

probably_insane

Sep 12, 2013
Borania said:
According to the video this isn't exactly true, they say that sportsmanlike players win 1.7 million more games every day. Sadly without knowing how they got that number and how many games are played a day this number really doesn't say all that much.

It's a good video, but I'm just not sure about that number
Neither do they explain how they obtain the numbers for ragers. First guess: by reports... uninvestigated ones... There's still a dark figure of unreported rages. And I'm pretty sure that there is a noteable correlation between won or lost and reported rage and unreported rage.

RatherDull said:
This is stupid.

If we don't tell players how bad they are, then they have no motivation to get better.

Don't want to get bullied? Get better. Trash talking benefits everyone.
This is an excuse for not trying harder to win.

If nobody tells the players what mistakes they make, they will have a very flat learning curve, since they have to figure out everything by themselves.

Don't want to play with bad teammates? Tell them what they failed in, why it failed and how to do it better...
nicely! Tutoring the weak players helps everyone.

But then again people can't be bothered with this effort, can they? It's not like you can turn a game, if a newbie stops doing some mistakes... can it?

sidenote:
Having tried to nicely tell newbies their mistakes... Yes, it is tiring. Yes, it is frustrating having to do this many games in a row. Yes, you meet this kind of learnresistant deaf-mutes (mute if you are lucky).
But you also meet learners and get rewarded with a win sometimes.
And yes, I couldn't maintain teaching newbies in every game it might have benefitted me.