League of Legends' "Team Builder" Lets You Queue as Your Preferred Role

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Pedro The Hutt said:
It'll most definitely result in longer queue times for anyone not playing support, it also reinforces and validates an already stagnant metagame, further slowing down innovation as now we'll ~always~ see such and such champs going top, middle, jungle, and then the ADC and support bot. And considering only 60-something champions got picked or banned during the entirety of Worlds out of 114, you know there's a problem going on with the champion pool, their potential roles, and their validity as picks. Compare and contrast to Dota 2's TI3 tournament where only 10 heroes out of the 105 hero pool never got picked or banned.
That part about the meta game is actually false, the team captain decides what sort of roles they want, they could pick a duo mid comp for example. Or triple ADC jungle, or support top.

Jan 27, 2011
Great, this means I can guarantee I get to play Ashe!

As a newbie to LoL, she's the only champ I've liked so far. I've gotten semi-decent with her. Well, against bots anyway. XD

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
kyonshee77 said:
Oh man, finally. I've been wanting and whining for a system like this for ages. The leavers and stubborn instalockers piss me off to no end.

I don't care if it means I have to wait a bit longer for queues.
Amen. Besides I sometimes wait for a whole minute in queues occasionally anyway. Heck the insta lockers are the people that make me leave when I do leave. I just get that little twinge in the back of my mind that things won't go well when they insta lock and don't respond at all in the pre game chat. So this system will be good if they get it to work.

I don't think the wait times will be as bad as people think. I don't think people will be waiting longer then 2 min. before a match shows up.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
In before: "DOTA had it first"
But it doesn't.
This is actually a really fucking smart idea.

Though if League is anything like Dota, I can see supports and the like waiting a looooong time for each game.
The only thing is... it really wouldnt work at all in DotA once you become more skilled. There isnt a set meta for DotA on how lanes should be built.

You could have a 1-1-1 with two junglers, one in the enemies jungle.

You could have a 1-2-2 if you need to shut down mid and take the tower quick.

You could have an agressive tri lane against the enemies safe lane, meaning that there is no offlane.

All of this stuff just makes it so that having a mode like this in DotA isnt that viable.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
thethird0611 said:
hazabaza1 said:
But it doesn't.

Though if League is anything like Dota, I can see supports and the like waiting a looooong time for each game.
The only thing is... it really wouldnt work at all in DotA once you become more skilled. There isnt a set meta for DotA on how lanes should be built.

You could have an agressive tri lane against the enemies safe lane, meaning that there is no offlane.

All of this stuff just makes it so that having a mode like this in DotA isnt that viable.
Yeah I know. But it could prevent the issue of "4 agility hard carries and a Storm Spirit, have fun lol" that happens a lot.

thethird0611

Feb 19, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
thethird0611 said:
hazabaza1 said:
But it doesn't.

Yeah I know. But it could prevent the issue of "4 agility hard carries and a Storm Spirit, have fun lol" that happens a lot.
Bah, you dont play much all random then :p

Thats the best part about it, getting randomed 5 carries and trying to figure out who exactly the best 4-5 are gonna be :p

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
thethird0611 said:
hazabaza1 said:
thethird0611 said:
hazabaza1 said:
But it doesn't.

Bah, you dont play much all random then :p

Thats the best part about it, getting randomed 5 carries and trying to figure out who exactly the best 4-5 are gonna be :p
I think I'd enjoy All Random a bit more if the usual Dota community didn't follow it (omg u died as randm char u nevr play? fukken scrub noo go uninst scrub) or if I was teaming up with people.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Revnak said:
This will impact me in no manner whatsoever, as hardly anybody ever calls jungle anyway. The one benefit of maining jungle is that so few people actually want to take it from you. And playing Jarvan. I love Jarvan.
This is honestly the exact reason I'm trying to learn how to jungle. I am so sick and tired of 4 people yelling they want to be AP mid. I want to just be able to pick the job nobody else wants while the children throw their tantrums at one another. It's why I'm usually support. Maybe it's EU West specific, but pretty much every pub game I'm in, my 4 teammates pick a carry without so much as discussing lanes beforehand.

Granted, it's gotten a lot better since the whole badges/honour system, but most players still seem to avoid support characters like the plague and almost nobody even seems to know how to jungle.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
SwimmingRock said:
Revnak said:
This will impact me in no manner whatsoever, as hardly anybody ever calls jungle anyway. The one benefit of maining jungle is that so few people actually want to take it from you. And playing Jarvan. I love Jarvan.
This is honestly the exact reason I'm trying to learn how to jungle. I am so sick and tired of 4 people yelling they want to be AP mid. I want to just be able to pick the job nobody else wants while the children throw their tantrums at one another. It's why I'm usually support. Maybe it's EU West specific, but pretty much every pub game I'm in, my 4 teammates pick a carry without so much as discussing lanes beforehand.

Granted, it's gotten a lot better since the whole badges/honour system, but most players still seem to avoid support characters like the plague and almost nobody even seems to know how to jungle.
Yeah, I understand man. I used to main top, but it always got called by somebody else so I just kept doing jungle. Eventually I got pretty good at it (it helped that I mained Udyr even before transitioning). Then my friends just kept making me jungle since none of them can. And then I got Jarvan, and my life was finally complete.

P.S. Jarvan is fun. Learn him. Or Lee Sin. Both are just full of fun.

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
In before: "DOTA had it first" and "League of Escapist"

OT: Honestly, it can only help. Because the LoL community is regularly voted the worst in gaming, they have nowhere to go but up.
Got a link to those polls? I am interested in looking at the complete results.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I always seem to end up playing as the tank, I like tanking but I would like to play something else someday, so I?m quite happy that there including this feature as a alterative to draft picking.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
My suggestion is "Try random draft", 20 heroes, and players on both teams take turns at picking characters, this usually results in something of a normal team composition since people can't. And perhaps most importantly, try and play with some friends, even if you play with just two friends, that basically means there's only chances of being stuck with a deeply selfish player as opposed to four chances when you're playing by yourself. Plus playing with friends will already guarantee there's more coordination guaranteed than playing with four strangers. Not to say that teamwork and well rounded team compositions don't happen in PUG Dota, you're just maximising your chances of it happening.

Rainboq said:
Pedro The Hutt said:
It'll most definitely result in longer queue times for anyone not playing support, it also reinforces and validates an already stagnant metagame, further slowing down innovation as now we'll ~always~ see such and such champs going top, middle, jungle, and then the ADC and support bot. And considering only 60-something champions got picked or banned during the entirety of Worlds out of 114, you know there's a problem going on with the champion pool, their potential roles, and their validity as picks. Compare and contrast to Dota 2's TI3 tournament where only 10 heroes out of the 105 hero pool never got picked or banned.
That part about the meta game is actually false, the team captain decides what sort of roles they want, they could pick a duo mid comp for example. Or triple ADC jungle, or support top.
So when was the last time you saw a dual jungle or aggressive or defensive tri-lane at the LCS?

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
Pedro The Hutt said:
hazabaza1 said:
My suggestion is "Try random draft", 20 heroes, and players on both teams take turns at picking characters, this usually results in something of a normal team composition since people can't. And perhaps most importantly, try and play with some friends, even if you play with just two friends, that basically means there's only chances of being stuck with a deeply selfish player as opposed to four chances when you're playing by yourself. Plus playing with friends will already guarantee there's more coordination guaranteed than playing with four strangers. Not to say that teamwork and well rounded team compositions don't happen in PUG Dota, you're just maximising your chances of it happening.

Rainboq said:
Pedro The Hutt said:
So when was the last time you saw a dual jungle or aggressive or defensive tri-lane at the LCS?
That's based on the assumption that everyone is just going to try what they saw in the LCS.

Although we have seen an ARAM [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeW84S0liVI] before, so you never know what might appen.