Leaked Email Reveals Twitch to Roll Out $10 and $25 Subscription Tiers in Upcoming Beta

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Leaked Email Reveals Twitch to Roll Out $10 and $25 Subscription Tiers in Upcoming Beta

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1398/1398718.jpg

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
It's nice that the streamer is able to get more money, but what do people get in return, more emoji?

Talk about a rip-off.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Monetise it. Little by little, choppity chop, monetise and profit always skimming off the top. There's a thing not monetised? Quick! Grab it! Hold it tight! If you sell it with a smile, they may not put up a fight. [small] Temporary emotes?? Ahahah! Oh, I'm so fucking depressed at the state and direction of society[/small]

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
All I see here is more benefits for the big streamers and still nothing to help out smaller streamers who can't even get stable stream because traffic prioritizes Twitch partners.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
All I see here is more benefits for the big streamers and still nothing to help out smaller streamers who can't even get stable stream because traffic prioritizes Twitch partners.
I agree with this, they should be trying to create more partnered accounts by driving traffic to smaller channels instead of reinforcing the system of serfs and despots. The issue they have now is the little guys are going to feel so disadvantaged I'm sure a lot of people are going to just give up. Which is fine in the short term, but in 5 years when big streamers either lose popularity or get out of the game they may find there's no new blood left to replace them.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Weaver said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
I agree with this, they should be trying to create more partnered accounts by driving traffic to smaller channels instead of reinforcing the system of serfs and despots. The issue they have now is the little guys are going to feel so disadvantaged I'm sure a lot of people are going to just give up. Which is fine in the short term, but in 5 years when big streamers either lose popularity or get out of the game they may find there's no new blood left to replace them.
Yup. And with YouTube and Hitbox dragging their feet with decent incentives and features, there's no real competition unless big Twitch streamers go to other platforms.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
And so twictch travels teh well worn road of Cable TV.. Never did get into the whole twitch streaming thing. I mean, if I wanna see a let's play it's usually just to get an idea of the gameplay.

Because you know the next step is the publishers and developers will start clawing for their cut of the streamer's revenue. Etc, etc. And they do have a valid claim on it.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
This isn't being done to 'improve the streamers experience'. It has the same motive behind it as the 'cheers' system.

Twitch is very aware of how much money their large streamers are making off the back of donations and patreon subs and want a piece of that pie for themselves. I'd actually say there's nothing wrong with it, if not for the fact twitch has zero inclination to help their site grow from the ground level and seems content to just put all their resources behind the same 1% of partners. Rich get richer etc.

As for the idea of 'value for money'. People already fanboy their favorite streamers to near cult-like levels. $50, $100 or more in donations are quite common on a daily basis for the top tier guys/girls. Put some shitty 'subscriber chat badge' up as reward for higher subscription tiers, and watch how quickly the lonely fanboys will pay up.