Leaked Gameplay Demo Shows Off 30 Minutes of Dragon Age: Inquisition

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Ishigami said:
The BioWare hate is still in full swing I take it.
I laughed at this.

Yup that and the rage at Tito's DA2 review is also still going strong.

Ot: Game look pretty good. I'm still cautiously optimistic.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Meh I'm not interested, I didn't beat DA2, The Warden's story over and I've got no investment in the narrative about the mages vs the templars.

I'm perfectly happy to let my adventures in feralden to be over.

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Only Dragon Age II sucked.
Tell that to Greg Tito.

OT: I'm cautiously optimistic. I mean it's not like they'll makes the same mistakes twice.

..........Right?

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Good to see the hate train has no breaks...
OT: my god the guy who was presenting that was melodramatic, actuly kinda got on my nerves. Other than that the game looks promising, combat looks like it has the strategy depth of DA:O without the unbearably glacial pacing.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
If they bring back the combat that was in DA:O then I'll consider it. Even though I'm almost absolutely certain they won't.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
I didn't watch the video largely for spoiler purposes, but are pause-and-play tactics the be-all end-all to the combat in this installment? Not knocking that method, but if that's the only method of play available I might have to give this a pass.

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
SageRuffin said:
I didn't watch the video largely for spoiler purposes, but are pause-and-play tactics the be-all end-all to the combat in this installment? Not knocking that method, but if that's the only method of play available I might have to give this a pass.
Given that the second game had a lot of opportunity for on-the-fly type combat if you played on a lower difficulty (namely normal or lower) and some returning mechanics from both previous games, you can probably get away with hack-n-slashing at least somewhat (again, that's my guess). I imagine this also depends on the extent of the A.I. set-up you can give to your party which would allow for minimal interference when it came to combat and the amount of power you may be able to place on your player-character.

Honestly though, don't knock it 'till you try it would be my best suggestion. The more style-centric combat may create an atmosphere where you can utilize pause/play mechanics and still feel fairly fluid in terms of immersion.

UsefulPlayer 1

Feb 22, 2008
Looks fantastic. I like the top-down strategy view, but they need to work on the scrolling. Probably a point and mark system would be better than scrolling a dot over to place the movement mark.

Also, I'm still not a fan of the DA2 system of combat. I'd rather mark targets and have battles run cinematically, my only input revolving around squad synergy instead of pressing a button to swing a sword around. DA:O and KOTOR had some nice combat with stats that ran behind the scenes.

But to be honest, I could deal with swinging the sword around if the script system is extremely robust. If my squad mates reacted intelligently, I'd more than happy role-play only my character. Plus I can imagine my direct intervention would be something like shouting a smart command.

Holy shit. They should add dialogue when you execute a command order. Your character should shout something like "Move!" or "Ice barrier there!" or "Seeker, get his attention!" when you tell her to pull argo.

Or at least "Get over here!" when you use the chain attack.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The open world looks great. I love it that they are going to have areas that you simply have to explore rather than be directed to. The whole capturing a keep to make the area your own and change the map is pretty awesome too. The combat looks fine. Graphics are a huge leap over DA2. The only thing that I'm concerned about still is the story. Right now it just looks like "there's an enemy and we need to fight them because war." I really hope the story amounts to more than that. I'm not expecting Witcher level story telling but definitely something good.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
Pretty sure this video was leaked like a month or two ago, I remember watching it already.

But yeah. There's some demo footage for ya. Combat looks interesting but it's impossible to tell how much depth it will have yet.

And once again Bioware is expecting us to empathize with a bunch of dead pixel people. I'm sorry, I'm not feeling EMOTIONS just because there are a bunch of body bags scattered about. Number one lesson from The Walking Dead (and sorta Mass Effect); I care infinitely more about story choices if it's focused on characters that I've come to know and like as opposed to nameless, faceless entities that I don't interact with.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Okay so ...

- 'Big' areas.
- "GET OVER HERE!" - Scorpion
- (Custom) Protagonist is voiced.
- More then two strategies.
- More gray then black and white?
- DA2-ish combat. (Dual wielding Warrior STILL not confirmed and might be the deciding factor if I'll buy this or not. XD)
- The strategy is back?
- More focus on the demons. (I don't know but so far I am interested in the story)
- THE KEEP. (I'm always a good lover of a good hub/home ... and power.)
- The consequences seem fair. (Unlike DA2)
- Races are back. (Already confirmed a while ago ... but it is good to double check)
- I'm liking the desert/different environments.
- Least it looks good, graphic wise.
- Really big and open environments. (Can't tell if good or bad yet)
- FLAMING SWAORDS (I want the electricity one. >.<)
- Tactical view. (The Return)
- ... door smashing ... WUT
- Wilhelm scream
- BRIDGE SMASHING
- MOAR TACTICS
- Finders Keepers ... NOT
- I R LEADER (How I wonder)
- Mages and Templar ... hopefully more gray then the last time. I want to kill ALL OF THEM ... equally of course.
- Big map with regions. (Yay~)
- Control of your faction. (Well, some)
- CHOICES ... AGAIN! (Choices~)
- Pimp my keep. (Customizing da keep)
- Professional builders and expanding. (Can make the area better with buildings, icons and etc)
- Multiple home owner (Can own multiple keeps)
- Casual talk. (Better NPC talking)
- Dragons are here and are still assholes ... to fight.
- Fall 2014

Those are the things I spotted during the video.
In honestly, I'm a fan of Dragon Age ... and I liked the combat of the second game.
All I'm hoping is that they are combining the two whilst adding on to it.
After all of that, I'm positive for this game right now, but that can change.

And this is my opinion of this whole thing, everyone else's is probably different, which is good ... difference is good.

Camaranth

Feb 4, 2011
Wow this looks really good. I know it was made to be shown off but still I like the elements I saw.

It looks like a good combination of real-time sword swinging and I can give my party commands that are worth a damn (admittedly my tactics amount to little more than mage in the back, archer on the flank, warrior in the front, unleash the rogue and kill anything that moves but even that was difficult to execute in DA2)

the big world looks kind of empty....

I'm still sceptical about the "you're choices affect the world and YOUR game" line he repeated once every two minutes.

The only thing I'm really worried about though is that they'll decide to screw us poor gamers who can't afford to /don't want to buy the next gen console even after a year and not release it on the PS3/Xbox360. I know they've said it's for all systems but a lot can change in a year....

Arisato-kun

Apr 22, 2009
I'm pretty excited. Though, Bioware pretty much had me when they uttered the words "playable Qunari." I really thought they were the best part of DA2 and the way they were portrayed is a big contributor to why I liked that game more than Origins.

This build is definitely alpha but for an alpha build I'm honestly impressed. Here's hoping that the final game is even better. i really love the Dragon Age world and would love a chance to be as engrossed in it as Bioware wants me to be.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Ferisar said:
Honestly though, don't knock it 'till you try it would be my best suggestion. The more style-centric combat may create an atmosphere where you can utilize pause/play mechanics and still feel fairly fluid in terms of immersion.
I did try it (played both Origins and 2 several times, in fact), and I kid you not when I say that almost every battle put me to sleep, and I've tried all the classes (a two-handed warrior in the first game was fucking terrible...).

It wasn't that the battles weren't exciting or challenging or anything, it was that with the pause-and-play mechanics, it felt like I wasn't actively contributing to the fight itself. It was more like I was simply sitting back while the game literally played itself. Hell, I kinda had to force myself to finish the first game.

ameemo

Apr 16, 2011
Credossuck said:
oh great. walking.

they are building a walking sim. great.
Actually, there will be mounts in the game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-06-dragon-age-inquisition-to-add-multiple-playable-races-mounts

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Bigger then Dragon Age 2? Well good to know they are reaching for the stars and might look forward to exploring more then the same reused locations over and over.

Can't watch vid but from what people here are saying, it's starting to sound a bit like skyrim or an ES game.

Not that I mind a good hiking simulator with rpg elements.