"Leaked" PC Edition of GTA 5 is Actually Malware

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I both wish the person/s harm for being dicks and buy them a round of drinks for teaching the idiots that fell for this a lesson (one I hope they learn from). I'm conflicted on what to do...

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I agree completely with those who say downloaders of this "game" got exactly what was coming to them. If you know enough about computers to pirate a game then you should also know about the harmful kinds of software.

How do people still fall for these schemes in this day and age?

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
If you fall for it, you deserve it. It's a shame it didn't blow up their computers.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
benvorbeck said:
This just made my day! on the one hand we have a petition to get Rockstar to port it to PC. on the other hand we have afuckload of pirates ready to hack the shit out of this game.

Attention Rockstar, This is proof that you should just ignore that petition.
Yes. Because Console Titles are never pirated. Oh wait..

Seriously, its dumb kneejerk reactions like this why i hate console-gamers, and publishers..and in general the current generation of morons who buy the "piracy is killing the industry" bullshit hook, line and sinker.

Just take a cursory look at bittorrent trackers about games which are in fact console exclusive and check how many views and downloads each has on average.

Twenty Ninjas said:
This is why you should wait for trusted scene releases before you go downloading random stuff.
Thats kinda the hilarious part of it. Why would people download a "leaked" PC port if Rockstar hasnt even yet announced that one is coming? I mean basic logic tells us that, first its gotta be made, then its announced, then its shipped to the stores. Any possibly "leak" would happen between announcement and when it goes on sale proper, regardless whether its a scene release or not, nobody should be that dumb to download something that isnt even announced to come out yet.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
well... duh.

if you're stupid enough to download it you kinda deserve what's coming

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
008Zulu said:
No.

I refuse to believe that anyone would be so dearth of intelligence that they would be so stupid as to fall for this.
Refusing to believe that there's people that dumb is futile.

Captcha: Saturday detention - Oh fuck you captcha, I didn't download this D:

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Ultratwinkie said:
After seeing that image I am rather pissed at conceding to an argument because I was too timid to point out that the arguer dismissed my own findings of GTA Vs piracy rate without providing counter proof or any logical reasoning. Nay, I am fucking mad.

I do not frequent piracy sites because GOG has me (almost completely) covered. As such I did not actually know of any such sites beyond P.B. and could not provide much beyond said site during a lull in download rates. I do not know if this makes me ignorant or a good videogame customer.

As such, after a tangential rant, I assume that you made that picture yourself and thus I politely ask if I can use it myself because I personally do not know what the other sites are and do not believe talking further about it is a good idea on this site.

P.S. Fricking tired so please excuse my confusing syntax.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
I find it hard to feel any sympathy at all at the kind of brain donors that would believe a secret version of GTA5 exists. The fact they installed a pirate version drains my sympathy even more.

Honestly, i'm laughing like Kefka at this.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Tanis said:
If you stupid enough to fall for this...
You deserve what's coming to your PC.
A game that hasn't been announced is coming to come out. You're stupid enough to look if you can find it on a torrent site. You're stupid enough to download it. You're stupid enough to install it. You're stupid enough to deserve the malware.

Seriously how is is it possible to lack any kind of barriers between malware and legit software? This kinda reminds me of Windows' judgement of it. "Are you sure you want to execute this file, the origin is unknown and it may contain malware" when the company that made it is Microsoft and you downloaded it from the official Microsoft sites...

I'm not sure if I should laugh or cry, but I'm leaning towards crying here...

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Well, anyone that downloaded that deserves the malware in all honesty, I mean, how stupid can you get?

No sympathy from me here.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
JoJo said:
Ultratwinkie said:
The first picture has:

18+ million downloads. Only counting the first few 1,000,000+ numbers. That is more than GTA V sold on day fucking 1. Rockstar lost, on console piracy alone, an additional 1.3 billion dollars. Not counting the used game sales that will inevitably come as well.
Those are views, not downloads. It's quite likely many people would have viewed more than one thread, or viewed the same thread several times in the course of working out which was best to download, and lurkers would be added to the tally too. I don't doubt numbers pirated were stupidly huge but there isn't really a reason to assume 18+ million from what you've posted.
86+ million views.

It would only take 18% of viewers to match what GTA V sold on day 1.

Argument is still valid. Piracy is huge on consoles, and the idea that consoles are safe is patently false. It would take over 82% of people viewing the torrent to not pirate it.

No way 82% would just drop that. Even 10% download rates equal half a billion dollars.
You assume those views are different people, but there are also a lot of replies to those threads. A reply to a post means at least 2 views and if someone is browsing through multiple pages, refreshing the site to see if someone has answered a question or something like that a good deal of those views can be dismissed. Your reasoning is flawed because you count 1 view as 1 person and then make an arbitrary number to determine the rate of how many pirates it based on that. 1 person might make up hundreds of views on each of those threads. Someone with a crappy connection might have refreshed the page a good deal of times.

However your point is valid. Piracy isn't a PC exclusive and your image does provide enough of an indication of that even though the numbers of pirated copies is probably a lot lower than what they indicate.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Ed130 said:
I imagine many would have stopped the install once it started asking for personal information, hacks are made to stop you from being picked up as a pirate so questions like that should have raised some flags or at least stick in some false data.
I was more thinking; That people thought it was an actual game, that it had indeed been converted and finalized without so much as a "leaked" Tweet.

Apr 5, 2008
Anyone who downloads "GTA5 for PC" illegally when no legal version exists, let alone has been released itself, is an idiot. While I don't condone malicious software or viruses and wouldn't wish them on anyone ever (except spammers), I have little sympathy that some folks were caught out in this manner.

On the flipside, I loathe Rockstar for being the epitome of a horrible developer that's quite happy to treat PC gamers, the ones who made them successful, as not even second class citizens, but barely acknowledging us. I appreciate that the industry as a whole is almost as guilt, but R* don't even bother giving us ports. So bollocks to R* and bollocks to the idiots who downloaded a dodgy copy of something that doesn't exist.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Going to stretch this out a little but;

How the hell do people still fall for stuff like this anno 2013?

I mean, seriously, come on! They do not deserve a PC....

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Yopaz said:
Ultratwinkie said:
JoJo said:
Ultratwinkie said:
The first picture has:

18+ million downloads. Only counting the first few 1,000,000+ numbers. That is more than GTA V sold on day fucking 1. Rockstar lost, on console piracy alone, an additional 1.3 billion dollars. Not counting the used game sales that will inevitably come as well.
Those are views, not downloads. It's quite likely many people would have viewed more than one thread, or viewed the same thread several times in the course of working out which was best to download, and lurkers would be added to the tally too. I don't doubt numbers pirated were stupidly huge but there isn't really a reason to assume 18+ million from what you've posted.
86+ million views.

It would only take 18% of viewers to match what GTA V sold on day 1.

Argument is still valid. Piracy is huge on consoles, and the idea that consoles are safe is patently false. It would take over 82% of people viewing the torrent to not pirate it.

No way 82% would just drop that. Even 10% download rates equal half a billion dollars.
You assume those views are different people, but there are also a lot of replies to those threads. A reply to a post means at least 2 views and if someone is browsing through multiple pages, refreshing the site to see if someone has answered a question or something like that a good deal of those views can be dismissed. Your reasoning is flawed because you count 1 view as 1 person and then make an arbitrary number to determine the rate of how many pirates it based on that. 1 person might make up hundreds of views on each of those threads. Someone with a crappy connection might have refreshed the page a good deal of times.

However your point is valid. Piracy isn't a PC exclusive and your image does provide enough of an indication of that even though the numbers of pirated copies is probably a lot lower than what they indicate.
Yes, and I compensated for that with percents.

If that 86 million was only 10% actually downloading, that still puts 1/3rd of the player base as pirates. We cut the 86 million by 90%.

If it was 20%, half of the players are pirates. We cut the 86 million by 80%.

Anything at or higher than 18% is bad. That's why I wasted the time to explain that and cut it down.
But there's no way of telling anything about how many actually downloaded it from those numbers because we can't assume those numbers to say anything about the number of people who viewed it. We might as well find the number of pirated copies based on how many Xbox 360s have been sold. It is vaguely related, but equally useless in determining the number of people who downloaded it. You have no statistics showing number of downloads and unless you do mentioning numbers for it is bullshit.

Right now I make up about 7 or 8 views depending on if I count before posting this or after posting this. I know you make up quite a bit yourself. I bet you also make up for a number of views on other threads. If there was a discussion or someone trying to help someone on that board 1 person could easily make up 20 views in one threads, maybe 3 or 4 each in the others making the statistics less than 1% if he actually downloaded it. That one person may also have downloaded several versions because he ran into some problems making it work meaning that even the number of downloads isn't necessarily number of people pirating it.

You make assumptions and claim it to be facts, but I suspect your numbers are greatly exaggerated compared to the reality. You have proof that piracy on consoles exist. Don't try to prove that 30% of all console users are pirates, that's pushing your luck.

Edit: Also your image did include the replies, there were quite a few of them indicating that a lot of people were in fact discussing the torrents. I also didn't claim they were discussing the game, but rather the torrent itself. If they have problem running the files or worry that it might be malware they will ask, they will get replies, they will browse what others have asked before and their replies in order to make sure they're not wasting their time.