Leaked Portal 2 Achievement Ignites Episode 3 Rumors

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
That's funny, people still think there is going to be an Episode Three. Come on it's plainly obvious Valve couldn't be bothered to give a flying fuck about Episode Three so why on Earth should anyone else.

Adremmalech

Mar 1, 2009
Hearing rumors about HL2:E3 is like hearing the name of a long-lost friend. You're trying so hard to move on without it, but it suddenly brings it all back to mind.
It's two thousand fucking eleven! Why haven't I played Episode 3 yet?!?

Dr. Paine

Oct 26, 2009
Chronologist said:
Yeah, there are a lot of ways that Episode 3 could end... at this point I really don't care. It would be interesting if episode 3 had a co-op mode where the new Chell and Gordon Freeman had to work together using portals and the gravity gun to solve physics puzzles, if that hasn't already been modded into existence already.

Given Valve's penchant for bittersweet endings, I'm pretty sure it's not going to be as simple as "Time travel to the experiment at Black Mesa and stop the accident from ever happening". My guess?

Gordon gets to the Borealis, finds the new Chell who is unconscious on the ground. Neither talks, since the new Chell is in a coma, but she has the Portal gun and instructions she wrote that say that there's a time machine deep inside the Borealis. Gordon goes and uses the machine to go back in time... and the temporal rift CAUSES the accident at Black Mesa in the first place. The original Gordon Freeman from that time DIES because of the accident, and the Freeman from the future has to take his place.

Why is Freeman so skilled at combat? Because he's been fighting the same war for an infinite period of time. Why can't he die? Because he never has, and he never will. Why does he keep doing the same thing? For the same reason he never talks - he's F***ing INSANE from being in an infinite regression loop.

I know this makes no sense, but still, it's something that Valve would do.
So Half-Life is the video game version of The Dark Tower?

Pyrokinesis1019

Jun 3, 2010
Well, now that Duke Nukem Forever is actually coming out, something's got to take its place as the go-to vaporware reference. ... just sayin'

Couch Radish

Mar 28, 2011
Xanthious said:
That's funny, people still think there is going to be an Episode Three. Come on it's plainly obvious Valve couldn't be bothered to give a flying fuck about Episode Three so why on Earth should anyone else.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/108821-Valve-Says-Hang-In-There-For-Half-Life-2-Episode-3

It's coming. And I've been as patient as ever.

DaMullet

Nov 28, 2009
Go back 10 years or more, if you said that there was going to be a Ironman/Hulk/Thor/Capt America movies that all cross over and link together to make an Avenger Movie people would call BS just like you people are now.

If Marvel can do it, why not Valve?

Why not link a bunch of games together?

Why can't Gordon have a Gravity gun in one hand and a Portal Gun in another? How Epic is that?

jobbybobby

Apr 1, 2011
well, my understanding was that portal 2 is only set a few years after the original portal, with Chell being held in stasis again. That should negate the need for time machines. I'm fairly certain that it will come out on the 19th as planned (due to all the TV spots, videos on the teaser site, and demos at conventions), but I might be biased because I preordered.

also, you know what WOULD be like valve?

just making this achievement a code hidden in a box in a secret level, and the code is almost the same color as the wall, and it's in @#$&ing greek, so all of this will just stay as it is: a bunch of wild extrapolation on internet forums by people with too much time on their hands (like the ones who decompiled the aperture science website).

(disclaimer: I have no problem with this sort of thing, and admit to partaking in it)

Oh yeah:

and I see 2 achievements that DEFINITELY involve the companion cube (one in singleplayer, one in co-op)

OMGPeanuts

Mar 15, 2011
The really sad thing is that if it all is going to be hoaxed and EP3 is not going to come out there will a lot more than "RAGEQUITS" or EGGS at the next E3 XD but hopefully people do not follow the signs because the actuall achievement in-game for portal 2 IS actually the borealis as in there is 2 LARGE FREIGHT TANKERS WITH LIFE PRESERVERS SAYING BOR-REA-LIS (DASHED from stipes cutting up word)