Leaked Source Engine 2 Screenshot Hints At Left 4 Dead 3

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Looks like it's time for me to get a new PC ... VALVE Time, that is. (My current computer is a 3.5-year-old Macbook Pro with Boot Camp for Win 7.) Also, Half-Life 3 semi-confirmed, as if it's a surprise now that Source 2 is definitely a thing.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Ultratwinkie said:
CS:GO is pretty much Counterstrike: Source with a graphical update and pretty much nothing else. Even with that total overhaul, they only charge now 15$.
CD:GO is more than a graphical update. It plays quite a bit differently (the premise is the same, but the subtle differences add up. If you expect to jump straight from doing well in Source to doing well in GO with no adjustment period, you're wrong), and has a lot more built in support for the competitive scene.

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Ooooh, looks so pretty.

Not sure if it's a hint to L4D3; pretty sure they're just doing a tech demo.

Also, this post from NeoGAF:
CBoAT works for Microsoft no? Holy fuck, is there a chance L4D3 is PC and Xbox One only? :eek: CBoAT, could you answer this?

what poor bastard plays/would play L4D on the xbox/xbone? This is a game that's made for the PC, with the glorious amount of mods and maps.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
black_knight1337 said:
Well that was underwhelming. Outside of the lighting and added clutter there isn't all that much good about it, by todays standards at least. Plus those leaves look terrible. Good res, sure, but they're still just a bunch of squares. We've had more natural looking leaves close to 10 years ago.
Its strange you say 10 years ago, because its 10 years ago valve released HL2 this November.

black_knight1337 said:
It is supposed to be from 3 years ago though. So there's a chance it's become more of a "next-gen" engine by now. Interested to see it in action too, Valve usually do good work with their physics.
Undoubtedly correct since valve haven't unveiled it yet. Besides i think the aim with the new engine is to license it cheaply to the industry to help adoption of steam OS.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
schrodinger said:
Not sure if it's a hint to L4D3; pretty sure they're just doing a tech demo.
Left 4 Dead 3 is already a thing. Not "officially" announced from the mouths of peeps at Valve, but as I posted above evidence has already mounted showing that, indeed, the game has been in active development for some time.

CBoAT works for Microsoft no? Holy fuck, is there a chance L4D3 is PC and Xbox One only? :eek: CBoAT, could you answer this?
what poor bastard plays/would play L4D on the xbox/xbone? This is a game that's made for the PC, with the glorious amount of mods and maps.
Even more priceless than that ridiculous post is CBOAT's response to it:

thfuck is wron with yu
SirBryghtside said:
I just want Valve to release something amazing and single player :( DotA 2, Counter Strike and Left 4 Dead are all well and good, but nothing beats a Valve campaign.
As much as I'd love to see another epic Half-Life or Portal campaign, I think I'd love just as much to see them resurrect their abandoned project "Prospero".

Even hints at what they were planning for the game back-in-the-day make it sound incredible.

http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Prospero

black_knight1337

Mar 1, 2011
Signa said:
When it comes to showing off an engine, the res is far more important than the shape. The shape means they were just hastily throwing together the scene to make it look demonstrable. The res shows that the engine is capable of displaying high res textures without using much resources or losing frame rate. It's not much of a big deal today to show that, but it still something we can't see right now with static images.
Looking at the comparison shots, the same issue is present. So it definitely could be an actual issue with the engine. And with the amount of work that's seem to be done to the rest of the scene, it doesn't really make sense that they'd just throw something together for leaves without bothering to make it look good.

schrodinger said:
Heh yeah, loved CBoAT's response to that, "thfuck is wron with yu".

Jun 23, 2008
Um, it's a tech demo.

Note that the plantation in the demo has been dilapidated and overgrown by another century or so, and the hedge maze, essential to the play of Swamp Fever 4 has been replaced by a more generic garden to show off vegetation.

The demo version is not designed for play.

Yes, we can expect an L4D3, but if I were Valve, I'd start it with new characters and new levels and add the old ones in at the leisure of my team.

238U