Leaked Star Wars TOR gameplay 1.5h

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
I thought I'll give ya a treat. 1.5 hour of leaked beta footage. Sure, it'll get removed fast. I wonder if this is against the forum rules. Well, only one way to find out!

http://www.justin.tv/archive/archive_popout?id=285836649

In my opinion:
Awful lot of kill x quests, where numbers go around 15-30
Environment is pretty but mundane - still beats elwyn forest. I'm glad that there are valleys and terrain is not just a flat piece of map.
Fighting looks actually good - I was really doubtful of the animations but it seems they come off good. The only problem is that bigger enemies use the same set of moves so all the "swords connecting" thing looks shitty as hell. Still, it's not as bad as I thought.
Fighting - boring, fights themselves are just boring, it's copy/pasted from wow or other mmos and nowadays just feels slow and clunky. Again, however, it's what MMOs always did and it worked so far...
Voiceover - some shitty lines, some choices with no impact. Quite good actually, a step up from pages and pages of text. In not sure if that helps as much. A nice thing but nothing gamechanging.

Verdict: It's much better than I expected, actually. Sadly, despite of all the glitter, it is only as good as WoW. And bringing nothing new (in terms of gameplay) to the table, it will be quicly abbandoned and fill fade. I won't buy it and I see no reason to buy it, unless you are fans of the old MMO forlmula and just want more of the same. Conbat is also too clunky now but it might be fixed. But it still will be boring imho.

The game isn't bad, the problem is that it isn't good. Animations and cutscenes might improve, sure. But the core mechanics are boring and stale, no matter how much polish you put on them they are just same shitty combat mechanics and same time filling quests.

I'd rather see GW2 playing with improoving on public questing by making PQ more dynamic, then watch improvement over wow quests by adding voiceover to them.

cieply

Oct 21, 2009
I would have thought that 1.5h of gameplay will elicit at least one opnion on the game... What happened?

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
Someone has actually already posted that video on here.

I liked what I saw from the video, looks like a fun game to me, but obviously there will be people who will not like it.

toughguyjoe

Mar 26, 2009
I <3 this game. I understand its shortcomings, but I am ready for a new MMO, and really enjoy the Star Wars universe.

Jul 22, 2009
Looks okay, nothing I'm too interested in.

Still I'd like to see a fair amount of success, not too much that Star Wars gets even more milked, but just enough that EA doesn't go bankrupt and scrap games that are worth their time.

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
For my verdict I'll wait the finished product. Bioware promised actual story arcs so yeah that's different than WoW. also watching someone else play an MMO is always boring so a video like this can't help my thoughts any. I think there's room enough for both of them.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
Im still not really interested in the game, guess it's mostly because of my love of old timey fantasy RPG games not futuristic ones.

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
Was already firmly aware it was another standard everquest model reskin looks as painfully dull as the thought of ever booting up WoW again is.

Story means fuck all when it comes to the longevity of an MMO if your raid, PvP and combat is dull so is your game and it's just more of the same. PvP will be a complete afterthought to boot unless you build your game around it you can't balance multiple classes/PVE skills while maintaining a competative PVP environment.

Haelium

Jan 18, 2011
I lost interest in this game about 2 years ago. It just looks terrible to me now, perhaps GW2 will fill the void left by WoW since I became bored of it.

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
Looks like Tabula Rasa mixed with WoW...

Why do people still care about the SW franchise?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Hmmm... When I first learned of the game, I was like

And now more and more actual gameplay footage is coming out, I'm more like

I still love the universe, and from zapping through that long long video I can still see that they've really put effort in creating the right atmosphere. I mean, the music sounds absolutely top-notch. But the gameplay...yeah, the animations look good and it looks more challenging than your average MMO, it still is a lot like WoW, and while I like WoW a whole damned lot I don't want my next MMO to be just like WoW.

Maybe it'll be different if I play a ranged character, like a Bounty Hunter, but I don't know. I'll still check it out, but I'm not too sure for how long I'll be playing it after release. But maybe it's just because of this starting area, it looks rather bland, and I think the Jedi Knight is a rather bland class as well. Show me more of the stuff unique to a Star Wars stuff, like the big cities like Coruscant.
Papadam said:
Looks like Tabula Rasa mixed with WoW...

Why do people still care about the SW franchise?
Because of the unique SW universe. It's the first, and I think most succesful, universe to ever blend fantasy and sci-fi in a way that it's something completely new, neither really sci-fi or fantasy. It touches something inside me, a spark of wonder and amazement I get very rarely.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
Not gonna lie, I am disappointed at how much the actual gameplay resembles WoW. I /facepalmed when the character /danced.

I do like the Mass Effect style conversations though.

I'll still probably buy it, but I'm not sure how long I'll stick around.

graverobber2

Aug 19, 2009
cieply said:
I'd rather see GW2 playing with improoving on public questing by making PQ more dynamic
This

Played the GW demo at gamescom and I thought it was awesome.
Not really interested in playing "World of Star Wars".