Least Favorite Protagonist

Mauler

Jul 11, 2012
Main male character from super robot wars J from start to the point when he meets the archangel... He made me not play game for a month because i thought he would whine all the way through but no it ended all right...

solidmetal

Jul 11, 2012
Drakane said:
The protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei: Noctrune. If you survived the end of the world and thought you were one of the last remaining humans (even if you are a demi-human) and you ran across anyone much less an old school friend, I would think the conversation would be a bit more then... "Oh hey, how you been?" "Yea some crazy shit going on around these parts, see you later."

i like him, he just doesn't give a shit to the rest of the world because what's done is done. And he may also aware that all the human he meet after the Conception is bunch of idiots (seriouly, that Isamu brat and that ***** Chiaki) so he fuck all the Reasons (in my game) and conquer god with lucifer. The demon ending of that game is awesome.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Micah from Fire Emblem Radience Dawn. well the first part of the game when you played as her. I just did not cared for her cause to rebell and her attitdue toward Ike, the hero from the past game.

Gearran

Oct 19, 2007
Ahh, the whiny glory that is Tidus from Final Fantasy X. I can't remember the last time I wanted to bludgeon something inside my TV WITH my TV. Seriously. Compared to him, even the characters from FFXIII are bearable (barely).

Now, as something of a tangent to this thread idea, there are legions (LEGIONS I TELL YOU!) of characters that aren't so much "least favorite" as they are "bland, forgettable cardboard cutouts." Most characters that you play as in FPS games, for example. Or Dante from the Devil May Cry series (yes, all of them).

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Asbel Lhant.

I genuinely hate this guy. I can't think of a useful thing he's done. He did something somewhat relevaaant, about twice, but Hubert could easily have taken this guys spot as lead.

I'd say he's worse then Tidus.

Joffas16

Jun 6, 2013
Definitely that guy from Far Cry 3.

I can't remember his name so I'm going to refer to him as Dubstep Douche-tats. I seriously hated this guy, every time he opened his mouth I wanted to reach through my TV and choke him. I just found his personality so unlikeable, and his friends to, they can also die. They were like the stupid teenagers from some terrible horror movie.

Also early on there was a huge rift between his actions and how he acts. At the start of the game he is supposed to seem scared and out of his element, but then minutes into the game your scaling a huge radio tower, Ziplining down, picking up an AK-47 and murdering about twenty people and several exotic animals.

Douche-tats taught me to appreciate silent protagonists.

Jessta

Feb 8, 2011
definitely gotta go with Kratos.
I can't even think of a close second, maybe... I played as Urgot once and he was pretty bad.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Connor Dickhead native whatever. Annoying prick with no personality and one of the worst voice actors I've heard.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Marcus Fenix from Gears of War. Just a gravel-voiced meathead with no real substance to him.

Seriously, fuck this franchise with a hamer drill.

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
I find it difficult to actually dislike silent protagonists because of their complete and utter lack of personality
Alpha protocol guy was kind of an all round douche
I can't remember but there has been one or two occasions where characters have done that no I can't kill him that would be wrong whilst standing in front of a pile a corpses high enough to block out the sun and the recently defeated is so obviously going to come back and haunt us

ThreeName

May 8, 2013
Zhukov said:
Batman from the Arkham games.

Miserable, joyless, humorless git with no personality whatsoever.
Oh God yes. Fucking hell, I think he had all emotion lesioned out of his brain. Intolerable.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
So much hate for Kratos. He's an antihero, not a protagonist. ;(

My choice would be Tidus, of obvious reasons. He wasn't that annoying when I was 12, but when I replayed the game recently all I could think about when I heard his voice was vicious murder.
Snow from FFXIII would be a very close second.
Also Hope.

Actually, most JRPG protagonists are my least favorite.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Manji187 said:
Marcus Fenix from Gears of War. Just a gravel-voiced meathead with no real substance to him.
That is unfortunately a failing on behalf of the games writers. In the extended universe they explain a lot more about him, and he does actually have a fairly deep personality.

Not that it's an excuse, because games shouldn't rely on outside media for character development and back story. It's one of my most hated things about the series overall. The games atmosphere tries to be serious and deep, but the writing turns it into a B Movie with cheesy dialogue. If they'd kept the same atmosphere in the games as they had in the books, it'd have been a lot more liked, rather than being seen as yet another bro-tastic" shooter.

NoeL

May 14, 2011
The main guy from Final Fantasy 12. Can't remember his name, but he was pretty lame. I imagine I'd hate all the other FF leading guys too if I ever played them. Tidas looks like a wank.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
DanielBrown said:
So much hate for Kratos. He's an antihero, not a protagonist. ;(
Apparently you don't know what the word "protagonist" means. The protagonist is the main character of the story. He/she can be a hero, villain, anti-hero, or anti-villain. It doesn't matter, as long as he/she is the main character of the story and it's his/her struggles around which the story revolves.