Least satsifying game endings?

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
TheMigrantSoldier said:
At least it's fixed with Broken Steel. The ending still calls you a coward, though, for not throwing your life away and sending someone who's practically healed by radiation.

It's drama for the sake of it.
That's fantastic. I'm usually not bothered too much by lackluster story elements in games, normally a gameplay first kinda person. But I dunno, something about that just really ticked me off and made me not want to play it anymore.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
I think Dreamfall takes the cake for that. I wasn't to impressed with it anyway but that ending...argh. Very little was actually resolved. The games just ends on some massive cliffhangers and I think that terrible idea for a game that isn't guaranteed to ever actually get another instalment and even if that dose we are talking years down the line. It's ok to have multiple games continuing the same story but you should try to make them work as self contained one as well and have relatively satisfying ending especially in one that is very story based (even more than the first one since it has little real puzzles). Dreamfall dose not.

TheMigrantSoldier said:
Arslan Aladeen said:
TheMigrantSoldier said:
The Fallout 3 endings, both vanilla and Broken Steel. The original endings (with added Broken Steel features) praised you for making a stupid sacrifice and condemned you for not making a stupid sacrifice. Gee, game, I'm sorry for not pointlessly throwing my life away for the sake of a "glorious death". As with Broken Steel, you blow up an Enclave base and that's it. You probably know the Enclave reinforcements aren't coming since the Western chapter was destroyed in Fallout 2 so the story of the Lone Wanderer is left on one blank note.

The biggest crime of these endings is that they barely hint at the fate of the wastelands (like the locations you've visited) akin to Fallout 1 and 2.
What really annoyed me about Fallout 3's ending was when I brought Faust along and asked him to repay that life debt he(she?) owed me by going into the radiation filled room since she could easily survive it. Faust then told me something about not wanting to interfere with my destiny. It's like the writers going f- you, we don't want to do another ending.
At least it's fixed with Broken Steel. The ending still calls you a coward, though, for not throwing your life away and sending someone who's practically healed by radiation.

It's drama for the sake of it.
That pissed me off so much. You're a coward because...you didn't throw your life away when solution to solve this with no deaths was standing right next you? though still better than pre broken steel with the whole "it's your destiny" thing. It would have been far less annoying had they not recognised his existence in that scene at all rather than having him use moon logic. Friendly or not I would pull gun on him for that.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
Reiko's ending in Mortal Kombat 4; portal opens, Reoko walks through, portal closes, credits roll. Every other character's ending in that game was at least half decent but Reiko's was a waste of time.

Qage

Sep 11, 2013
About 2 games leap to mind at present, although all of them have been mentioned at some point during the thread.

Borderlands 1 and Fallout 3

For me, Borderlands was a mixed bag of experiences. I remember having fun with it at times (although usually when a friend was playing it with me), but the rest of the time was just a long, dull slog of shooting the same enemies with the same weapons in the same environments over and over again. Then to finally get to the end of it all and that is the ending?

Don't get me wrong, I get what the ending of Borderlands was trying to go for and what it was trying to achieve (at least I hope it's what the devs were going for), but from a gameplay perspective, all of that time sunk into getting to the end and enduring that slow, boring boss fight to not only receive nothing special in the way of loot, but to then have the game say "Ahh wasn't that fun! How would you like to try that again, only harder?!" Just felt like a huge slap in the face and even manages to cheapen the already lacklustre ending.

The pre-Broken Steel ending for Fallout 3 has already received quite a bit of discussion here and for the most part I feel the same way, but continuing with the theme of cheapening endings, doesn't the Broken Steel DLC cheapen the supposed sacrifice the game strongarmed you into making? Since it just turns out that you didn't actually throw your life away and you eventually recover from death in a hospital bed rendering the "destined sacrifice" of vanilla Fallout 3's ending completely moot.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
jdogtwodolla said:
Also, the antagonists attitude does not mesh with her motivation. She wants to save all conduits, So she gathers them all up, and she tortures them. Never explained why but she does. She also gets a few of them "mission ready", although we are never told what that mission is or why after they're trained for it she just decides to try putting them in a hole.
I'm pretty sure she was just a sociopath who was using 'I'm going to save them' as an excuse to lock them up to make herself look good.
I mean, if she really cared about the conduits, she'd campaign for equal rights or something, not bang them up and throw away the key.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
gamernerdtg2 said:
Shadow of The Colossus.
What a moron for a main character who would be tricked into letting a demon/god/whatever free all to save his lover...but she never gets to be with him anyway. Great game, but it was a waste of time because of the ending.
Uhm, he's told that the price he'll pay for Mono's resurrection may be grave. He wasn't tricked at all, he was told straight out about the consequences in the very first cutscene.

And it's never made clear they are lovers. She could be his sister, or he could even be her guilt stricken executioner.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
there's a couple.

The main character single-handedly undermined everything he was working toward the entire game in a couple of seconds. Worse, the game forced the player to do this, rather just let him watch the character be stupid. The dimwit saved the girl, even if he knew that doing so would result in the world ending and everyone dying, including her. WHAT WAS THE POINT?

See above. Not quite as dumb and much more understandable, given that Joel IS a horrible, selfish person. It made sense plot-wise and it provided closure. So it wasn't a bad ending at all, it just hate it when a game forces me to carry out the player character's horrible decisions by myself. It's frustrating. Kind of like shouting at a horror character not to start having sex in the middle of a forrest populated by murderous psychopaths. Except now I'm forced to buy their condoms as well.

Such a wonderful world I just spent 40 hours in. So many decisions I've made. I was really hoping for an ending that would take those decisions and show me their consequences, rather then let me pick which one of the 3 generic slideshows I wanted to watch.

It seemed like I was teleported to the final bossfight halfway through the game. Then a planet exploded. Roll credits. Come on.

Nadia Castle

May 21, 2012
Simon the Sourcerer 2. Not only is it a blatant sequel hook, it ends on one hell of a downer (the villain makes off with your body to take over the earth leaving you stuck in fairy tale land) and the third game went through absolute development hell so even if you did manage to get the game it was a broken mess with no satisfying conclusion.

That is one series that is in dire need of a good remake.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009

Mass Effect 3.

I am not going to shout from the rooftops about why its bad, I just think its goddamn horrible really bad as an ending.

I will end my point there.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Lightknight said:
Liquidprid3 said:
Halo 2. The ending was basically "HEY GUYS WERE MAKING A HALO 3 WOOOOOOO" and nothing else. It was just a cliffhanger, and you knew there was going to be a Halo 3.
That's a good one to mention. I remember it being completely anti-climatic for that reason.

I'm going to mention Red Dead Redemption.

You die while your family escapes then your son grows up without a father and ends up following the same wondering path the father fought so hard to prevent him from having to take.
I really liked the ending or Red Dead Redemption and found it pretty fitting.

You spend the entire time trying to get back to your family, protecting them, sheltering them from the evils of the world. You're forced to do morally questionable things in order to be together with them, and you never question the "good guys" when they tell you that after you've fulfilled your job you'll be able to have a nice quiet life again with your family. Then in the end all your hard work ends up being for nothing, you're shot down like a dog by the men you trusted to uphold their end of the bargain, and your son grows up to be a criminal just like you.

When I played the game as John Marston I played through the whole thing trying to kill only the people I had to, generally being the good guy, fixing the mistakes of my past because Marston is looking for redemption. When the game switched me over to playing as Jack at the very end I calmly rode over to each checkpoint, talked to Ross's family and friends, and when I had a clue about his location I calmly executed them with a shotgun. Jack wasn't looking for redemption, he was looking for revenge.

I thought the whole thing was very poignant (I just wish Jack had a better voice actor).

Childe

Jun 20, 2012
LongAndShort said:
Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I can't be arsed to explain or spoil it, but let's just say that I don't understand why ME3 is remembered with such bile by so many people and Deus Ex:HR isn't.

Absolutely loved and still love both games, and will defend both of them when called upon.
Caiphus said:
Dragon Age 2's ending was the more frustrating for me, actually, if we're talking about Bioware. Spoiler warning, and all that, although it probably doesn't matter by now:
Forcing you to take sides with either the Mages or Templars, then revealing your chosen side to be a healthy mixture of stupid, evil, deeply hypocritical and corrupt right pissed me off. It screamed of the writers being too desperate to pull a Witcher and go "Der r no rite choyces!", and just blegh. Didn't like it at all.
Yeah, felt the same way about this ending. Even given how both choices go down, siding with the Mages seemed like the only reasonable thing to do as well (what with either you or your sister being a mage). From what I understand they were planning much better endings (or at least properly morally ambiguous ones, not just 'I'm a monster now. Roar.') but ran out of time and money.
The ending was interesting though and kept with the whole you make the choices sort of thing. I give it bonus points for being a completely philosophical ending.

OT: for me Batman AA. It's not how it ended per-say just the ending cutscene shows croc getting the titan formula and sets up a cool super beefed croc and then the only time Croc shows up in the second game is to tell you to go away. I was disappointed

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
Childe said:
OT: for me Batman AA. It's not how it ended per-say just the ending cutscene shows croc getting the titan formula and sets up a cool super beefed croc and then the only time Croc shows up in the second game is to tell you to go away. I was disappointed
There are a few ending you can get for Batman AA. There Croc, like you got, Scarecrow, or Bane and neither of them have significant roles in Arkham City. Bane is in the game but just a side mission and Scarcrow only has a few neat Easter Eggs.

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
Rage's ending made me rage pretty hard. The game was going good and fun but the last part was just blank and unsatisfying. Mass effect 3 had a much better ending in comparison, at least it felt like a climatic finale.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Army of Two, and its sequel. The third slides because it wasn't that good to begin with, so I didn't care.

Barring optional DLC, you don't actually get to go after Dalton. You fight his Dragon, then cutscene and he dies

Similar to the first game, though the decision to go after Jonah is one that happens only after some major events. However, one of those events is the death (or apparent death) of Alice Murray. After that, I really did want the pleasure of boss fight with Jonah. Instead, the final fight of the game is just another cooridor full of dudes. After that, you get a cutscene with two unsatisfying moral choices--kill your partner or let China get nuked. The only upside of AoT: They Didn't Care is that they seem to have completely forgot about this. Much like Alice, until the last scene of the game where she's just randomly brought up

I know a lot of people didn't care, but I enjoyed the games for the most part. Except 3. Screw The Dingo's Callous.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bioshock : Burial at sea

[spoiler/]its obviously not as bad as that other ending..since it fits with the themes and all

but for Elizabeth to go like that its just....ugghhh just to much of a downer, the Bioshock Infinite ending was satisfying in a way even if it initially looked like "our" elizabeth vanished from existence (which seems to not be the case..I'll have to play again)

the problem with this is the little sister "Sally" doesn't hold much emotional weight, theres a reason we all love Elizabeth and [i/]oh but you saved sally[/i] yeah well I don't give a fuck about Sally! Brooker "dying" wasn't as bad because if it meant "saving" elizabeth (as I have demonstrated I still don't know exactly what happened) I did to some degree care for Brooker but his "sacrifice" made sense and was satisfying

this was one of those "sad" endings where you understood why they did it and you can't fault it for having an impact but...it feels cheap and manipulative [/spoiler]

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Holy balls did Lords of Shadow 2 have an unsatisfying conclusion to the series, so much that I went from really liking it to just wishing I never bothered playing it. The story right up until the final fight with the big bad was decent, you met some cool characters, some good twists happened, and most importantly...

Dracula himself was completely set on ending his life with the vampire killer once he kills Satan so that he can finally rest and peacefully hang out with his family in heaven or whatever. This was basically what the whole game was about and they used every chance they could get to build up to that finally happening.

So Satan appears, final fight ensues (pretty mediocre one too) and Drac' wins yay! Turns out they also coincidentally ended up right next to the church Dracula slumbered in for all those years, so its pretty obvious that he's going to sit in his old throne and impale himself, finally reuniting with his family which he missed so dearly. Alucard will most probably go fix the city or something seeing how its pretty wrecked from the demon attack and he's such a good guy. All ends well and life goes on.

But does any of that happen? Hahaha, no.

Instead, after offing Satan Drac' decides - out of nowhere for no valid reason at all - that he'll just continue living (unliving?) instead and Alucard is like "lol, ok" and they both walk into the church. The End.

What the flying fuck, MercurySteam?

TBman

Oct 31, 2008
Bioshock Infinite. In hindsight I think it's clever, but at the time it was just so confusing that I had to look up explanations for what the hell happened, that made the ending less holistic for me.