Leave me alone PC gamers!

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Archangel357 said:
Since learning how to safely surf the web, I've only been hit once by malware over the course of my last three PCs. Even then, it was because of my carelessness.

Clicking on a banner ad, by the way, is on the user. That's not the PCs fault.
No, it isn't, but it can only happen on a PC. See the difference? If you are discussing the pros and cons of, say, taking a bus to your destination or riding a dirtbike cross-country to it, you cannot dismiss the notion that one might fall off the latter by saying that the rider should have been more careful. The entire point is that with a bus, you CANNOT fall off it, but with a dirtbike, you CAN. It's not about who is at fault, it is about the presence of a risk.
Surely then, no one should even own a PS3, what with Sony's problems? [http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/gamesblog/2011/jan/07/playstation-3-hack-ps3] The user didn't even need to have done anything.

Jordy Hartog

Oct 5, 2012
You know what I find funny? That I could produce a copy of a gaming magazine that I used to read back in the '90s where multiple letters had been sent to the editors complaining about them daring to call a PC a "gaming computer" since they were "Personal Computers".

What I have never understood though, and never will understand is that apparently there are SO many people who can get this worked up over what other people spend their money on. No really, explain how it would affect me that someone whom I will likely never meet, who may well live on the opposite side of the world, buys an XBOX instead of a Wii or sticks with his PS2 because he has little interest in PS3 games?

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Sanat said:
Jeez, I wonder WHY they bash you so very hard about having a seriously inferior, overpriced, inconvenient, technologically obsolete and locked down system.

And just so that you're aware, if you're not already:
Consoles are the cause for all the bad things in the industry. Not for the industry mind you, but in the industry. What we game-playing folk want.

TL;DR: Fuck consoles.
wow do you feel better now? one of the major problems that gets is that the community are inconsiderate dicks who cannot socialize properly with other people. boy am i glad there is no such thing in the pc community /sarcasm

have you ever considered that some people cannot afford to pimp out their computers or buy new and powerful machines? basically what you are doing is shouting at someone for not being affluent, i cannot find anything redeemable about your elitist behaviour i find it disgusting.

i myself have been fortunate to have disposable wealth to purchase both consoles and a complete pc gaming rig, but i know several people who dont have the same circumstances of disposable income to use on what basically is a hobby. being rich does not entitle you to exclude people and/or be a dick

sigh i can only hope that you were being sarcastic.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
The only reason it's really an issue is because you're actually giving some credit to their complaints. It doesn't matter now, then or in the future. If you want to play on a console or a PC then go right ahead. As long as you enjoy it, it shouldn't matter.

I like the controller more because its more familiar and comfier, but some people like the mouse/keyboard combo more. Can't see how, but it doesn't effect me in any way, so why should I care.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Archangel357 said:
Not the SAME things. Let's be honest here. Saying that compatibility issues just come with the territory is basically just proving my point - due to the fact that console hardware is set in stone, certain problems simply do not occur. That, no matter how you cut it, is a point in the consoles' favour - yes, a mandatory software update is annoying, but at least, you know that afterwards, the game will run properly. With PC games, that can be a crapshoot.
To be entirely honest, Consoles, especially this generation, have had their own sets of problems along those lines that an experienced PC user won't have.
As an example, the Red Ring of Death on early Xboxs. Not something PC has to worry about. Skyrim not working well on the PS3, and because of this no DLC for the PS3, Not something PC has to worry about. System failure after firmware update is something both PCs and Consoles have to worry about, but with a PC you have slightly more control over it - you can be smart in what you buy whilst assembling the PC, and up/downgrade drivers relatively easily. Worst case, a complete reload is simple to do, whilst with a console if something goes very bad you have to pay Sony/Microsoft to fix it for you.
A lot of people do have problems with consoles. Maybe not as many as on PC, but I don't have statistics to back that up. Hell, on these forums I've had discussions with people who've gone through 3 or more consoles thanks to them dying. You might not have had such problems with yours, but I've also never had such problems with my PC - everything for me has always just worked - and it probably ends up evening itself out.

It is fair because of how the machines are used. VERY few people have the kind of money where they can use a PC just for gaming. My PC is used as a media platform, a work instrument, and a storage device - like most people's are, I would assume. It's as though one was comparing the benefits of a light truck to those of a sports saloon, and one would call it unfair to add the price of a trailer to that of the truck. Well, maybe, but you do need one to get the full use out of it.
I believe he's talking about the cost of making a PC as a dedicated gaming platform, like you'd use your console for. $300-$400 on hardware, and no need for MSOffice. If you buy 10 or more games, you'll make up the difference in cost between a console and PC thanks to PC games generally being $10 cheaper in retail than console games.
Whilst you site very few people having the kind of money to make a PC just for gaming, I find that unlikely. If you can buy a console just for gaming, you can buy a PC just for gaming. Its just that the majority of people will tend to spend more on non-gaming programs on the PC as PCs are useful both as gaming platforms and utilities, and these days its hard to live without the utility side of it.

The idea of adding the price of one's TV to that of the console is silly. The TV is not a console peripheral: it serves its own purpose, after all. At that point, I could add the cost of a desk to that of the PC.
I'd equate it more to having to buy Windows for the PC. Both are required to use said item, and both have other functions. Buying Microsoft Office is more akin to paying for cable TV. Its an extra use for the thing your gaming platform is dependent on, that costs more but is in no way necessary.

No, it isn't, but it can only happen on a PC. See the difference? If you are discussing the pros and cons of, say, taking a bus to your destination or riding a dirtbike cross-country to it, you cannot dismiss the notion that one might fall off the latter by saying that the rider should have been more careful. The entire point is that with a bus, you CANNOT fall off it, but with a dirtbike, you CAN. It's not about who is at fault, it is about the presence of a risk.
And on consoles there is the very real risk that their network will be hacked and your personal data stolen. Yes this can happen on the PC too, but unless you're careless its rare.

I'm not going to deny that PCs have problems, but consoles have their fair share these days too, and even in the PS2 era my PS2 would constantly overheat and crash for no reason. Both PCs and consoles have a fair capacity to fail for their user, but with a PC you're more in control, and if something goes wrong its likely your fault.

Jordy Hartog

Oct 5, 2012
O maestre said:
I'd just like to shower you with love for your choice of avatar (I have an image of Gwynplaine as my current phone background ;)

Joccaren said:
As an example, the Red Ring of Death on early Xboxs. Not something PC has to worry about.
I'm actually pretty sure that PCs are also subject to their parts breaking or working improperly. Granted, they won't display an actual red ring of death, but that's just semantics.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Jordy Hartog said:
Joccaren said:
As an example, the Red Ring of Death on early Xboxs. Not something PC has to worry about.
I'm actually pretty sure that PCs are also subject to their parts breaking or working improperly. Granted, they won't display an actual red ring of death, but that's just semantics.
PC parts can break down, but that's generally due whoever built it not paying attention to heat and airflow - which anything you buy in store will generally be fine for, and if you build it yourself its your fault that it failed. Even with heat problems most of the time, in my experience, the PC just crashes, and you can continue to use the card later, usually after letting it cool down a bit. Faulty parts are occasionally sold, but in general you'll notice within the 6 months to a year+ that the warranty lasts for, and be able to get a new one, and even this can be avoided the vast majority of the time by buying from reliable brands.

With the early Xboxs, it was luck as to whether you RRODd or not. The design of the Xbox paid no head to heat management, and would overheat too often, killing the machine - at least if my memory is working properly. There was little you could do to prevent this. You couldn't lower graphical settings, you couldn't underclock your hardware, you couldn't move anything around inside to reduce the heat and you couldn't buy extra internal fans for better airflow. If it died, it wasn't your fault, and there was nothing you could do to fix it.

Lord Doomhammer

Apr 29, 2008
Country
United States
CrunkParty said:
Calibanbutcher said:
Do you enjoy a good flamestorm?

Do the fires of hatred warm the cockles of your heart?

Do you feel the need to entertain yourself by watching others have arguments over the pettiest of subjects?

If so, then this thread is for you.
I'm sensing some judgement. Do I knock your hobbies?
I'm sensing rustled jimmies over here...

Sanat

Apr 7, 2012
O maestre said:
Sanat said:
Jeez, I wonder WHY they bash you so very hard about having a seriously inferior, overpriced, inconvenient, technologically obsolete and locked down system.

And just so that you're aware, if you're not already:
Consoles are the cause for all the bad things in the industry. Not for the industry mind you, but in the industry. What we game-playing folk want.

TL;DR: Fuck consoles.
wow do you feel better now? one of the major problems that gets is that the community are inconsiderate dicks who cannot socialize properly with other people. boy am i glad there is no such thing in the pc community /sarcasm

have you ever considered that some people cannot afford to pimp out their computers or buy new and powerful machines? basically what you are doing is shouting at someone for not being affluent, i cannot find anything redeemable about your elitist behaviour i find it disgusting.

i myself have been fortunate to have disposable wealth to purchase both consoles and a complete pc gaming rig, but i know several people who dont have the same circumstances of disposable income to use on what basically is a hobby. being rich does not entitle you to exclude people and/or be a dick

sigh i can only hope that you were being sarcastic.
Find my post a couple of pages on, I've covered what you're complaining about.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
CrunkParty said:
Calibanbutcher said:

Do you feel the need to entertain yourself by watching others have arguments over the pettiest of subjects?

Do you not judge me for my post? Thus knocking on my hobbies?

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
CrunkParty said:
Calibanbutcher said:
CrunkParty said:
Calibanbutcher said:

Do you not judge me for my post? Thus knocking on my hobbies?
I don't know. That's why I was asking.

Well I was not judging you, merely stating a fact in what might have been to elaborate a way.
If you enjoy said arguments, please do, I won't judge you.
Unless you happen to be a terrible terrible person, then I shall judge you mercilessly.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
CrunkParty said:
Calibanbutcher said:
Well I was not judging you, merely stating a fact in what might have been to elaborate a way.
If you enjoy said arguments, please do, I won't judge you.
Haven't been in this much trouble over a joke since my sister's wedding. The implication that my hobbies were watching people on the internet argue was kind of a joke at my expense. Not unlike...

Calibanbutcher said:
Unless you happen to be a terrible terrible person, then I shall judge you mercilessly.
Oh. Well then in that case.
Wait, you enjoy watching people argue on the internet? So do I! And here I was, thinking you actually enjoyed ARGUING on the internet. Apparently we have a lot in common good sir or mam or missus.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
The thing is I have never been subject to a condescending or judging comment while on my course. It seems to be limited to the internet. My class has 60 people in it, all gamers of as diverse a palet as you can think of and we all get on.

We just chat about games regardless but when I get online there are comments detailing ever advantage of PC gaming over and over, people complaining about Let's Play's not being on a PC or how terrible the console version is.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
That's the most stupid and ridiculous shit I've ever heard, and I hear it a lot, a classmate was been whining for over a year now about getting a new PC, and asking about the "best" graphics card, processor and such, and every time I tell him to shut up.

While I don't particularly enjoy console gaming, especially because of the dumb analog sticks, I know there are some games than just won't come out on PC. Uncharted, for example, is a game I tried cuz of my girlfriend. And while I sorta liked it, I had to force myself at points due to how incredibly unresponsive the analogs can be, PCs at least, have just a for direction movement scheme, changing depending on the position of the camera, but having to retry a scene over 6 times due to my character not being perfectly aligned is just dumb.

The main thing why someone could/should be into PC gaming is the vast spectrum of possibilities, new "different" games, with substantially "new" gameplay options, or mods, which are the first thing that comes to mind when I think of PC games. But elitists just plain annoy me.

When it came out, I played Crysis on a 3 year old PC with only the graphics card changed, and it ran smoothly anyways, but this might be 'cause I'm not a sucker for graphics, and I even felt nauseated when my gf made me play God of War 3 for the first time on an HD TV.