Leeroy Jenkins Hits DVD With Year One and Monsters vs. Aliens

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Leeroy Jenkins Hits DVD With Year One and Monsters vs. Aliens

Two recent DVD releases - Year One and Monsters vs. Aliens - have included extra scenes that spoof World of Warcraft's famous reckless Paladin.

There isn't much to say about these videos, to be honest. If you've seen the original Leeroy Jenkins video, you know what's going to happen. If you haven't seen the original Leeroy Jenkins video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zll_jAKvarw&feature=related], then hey, welcome to the internet, glad you could join us. The amusing part is how faithful (or not faithful) the two movies try to be to the source material while still adapting it to the scenario and characters.

Even if it is just a storyboard (with recorded dialogue), I think I still need to give the nod to Monsters vs. Aliens here for being a much funnier scene. Honestly, the Year One skit just fell flat on its face - the funniest part was probably casting McLovin [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Mintz-Plasse] as Leeroy himself.

Even if they are a few years late on the memewagon, it's always funny to see internet references like Leeroy working their way into modern pop culture. Hey, remember the time he was on Jeopardy [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJT20WxfHss]?

(Via WoW.com [http://www.wow.com/2009/10/29/leeroy-related-extras-on-recent-dvd-releases/])

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
Even Vinnie Jones himself couldn't save that scene from sucking. At least Monsters Vs. Aliens did it right. It was actually pretty funny.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
-Zen- said:
Even Vinnie Jones himself couldn't save that scene from sucking. At least Monsters Vs. Aliens did it right. It was actually pretty funny.
I'm pretty sure nothing short of divine intervention could save anything in Year One from sucking.

Cap'n Haddock

Jul 28, 2009
These were terrible, as expected. It's one thing for Blizzard to use Leeroy as a joke, but random movies should try to stick with original content, not cashing in on memes for funny material.
Random movies using memes as jokes are just terrible, it only works in a reciprocal nature, like WoW having a Leeroy Jenkins achievement or the inevitable pills jokes that are going to bein L4D2.
I would much rather see Patrick Stewart do a pronounced facepalm in a Star Trek movie or TV show then have some random dude do it as a reference to the facepalm meme.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
yer the "year one" one was pretty boring, but as Mr. Funk said, its always great to see a meme work its way into the more respected media (you tube clips of WoW is NOT a respected media)

edit: also the "year one" LEROY JEEE..ENKINS was terrible, dont do a cheap joke if you cant get the punchline right.

Escapefromwhatever

Feb 21, 2009
Why didn't the Monsters vs Aliens scene make it into the movie? I loved the line, "...we need someone to blame and it can't be Smitty." I don't know, it just resonates with the current political climate here in the U.S.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
-Zen- said:
At least Monsters Vs. Aliens did it right.
Actually the Year One clip was a much more accurate depiction of the original clip, complete with the one soldier hopping, the stats, the chicken and the dead guy shouting "GUYS I CAN'T MOVE!". Overall though, Seth Rogen does a much better "LEEEROOOOOOOOY JEEEEENKIIIIIIINS!" than McLovin.

They both had their pros and cons for small recreations.

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
ccesarano said:
Actually the Year One clip was a much more accurate depiction of the original clip, complete with the one soldier hopping, the stats, the chicken and the dead guy shouting "GUYS I CAN'T MOVE!". Overall though, Seth Rogen does a much better "LEEEROOOOOOOOY JEEEEENKIIIIIIINS!" than McLovin.

They both had their pros and cons for small recreations.
Bear in mind, by "did it right," I meant, "made the reference funny."

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Ahhhh Vinny, how I miss the old days of him beatin the shit out of people on (and off) the pitch

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Am I the only one that feels, after seeing that deleted Monsters Vs Aliens scene, that it would have looked better if it was hand-drawn animated by the guys that made Ren & Stimpy?

Maybe it's just because I'm sick of computer animated movies...

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
ZeroMachine said:
Am I the only one that feels, after seeing that deleted Monsters Vs Aliens scene, that it would have looked better if it was hand-drawn animated by the guys that made Ren & Stimpy?

Maybe it's just because I'm sick of computer animated movies...
...Yeah, actually. It was a pretty great movie, kind of sucks that that scene didn't make it in. I would have laughed, at least. The Year One seemed a bit...silly. The yell just didn't work, and the acting just generally wasn't good. Is the whole movie like that? I keep getting told that it's so great. :|

sharks9

Mar 28, 2009
I actually found the Year One to be alot funnier, it was alot more accurate. Also, McLovin eating the chicken at the end was pretty funny

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
The_ModeRazor said:
Who is leeroy Jenkins?
Edit: Okay, what the heck was this?

Oldschool WoW vid.

Year One reference fails by the way, It's "At least I have chicken." not "At least I ain't chicken."

Noooooooooobs.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Nice job Mintz-Plasse, just when I thought there was a chance of that Year One scene at least being a little piece of cheeky fun, you had to completely fuck it up with
THE LAMEST DELIVERY EVER

The M.v.A. one was pretty good, because Seth Rogan at least had a little gusto.

Cargando

Apr 8, 2009
The second one was definately the best, but the original makes me laugh every time.