Left 4 Dead Creators Announce Deal With THQ

Feb 13, 2008
iniudan said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Fascinating. I much preferred 1 over 2, so it'll be interesting to see if they do that fairy game they were talking about. ;)
Prefer 2 here, but the character of the first are better, especially since Bill is more awesome then the 7 other together. (WHYYYY did he have to die ?)
2 has the better engine; but 1 was just better overall. Zombie tropes exist for a reason, ignore the darkness at your peril.

(Louisiana's average temperature is 66F; can you imagine what a dead body smells like after a day? As well as there being no graves because it's under sea level)

SammiYin

Mar 15, 2010
Does this mean any L4D sequels we get won't be using Source and therefore good?!
YES PLEASE!
Does anyone else like how they had to get away from Valve to start making original games?

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
CrazyJuan77 said:
Yea, its an interesting study in what makes a good game. On paper L4D2 appears to be superior. There were several improvements. All in all though it was missing....something, compared to the first game.
Good characters, Infected that were actually able to constructively hinder a group rather than be an annoyance, a much more limited and realistic selection of weapons, no massive hands in first-person view (The hands are HUGE in L4D2), a greater emphasis on working together and tactics, a decent atmosphere, not being a developed-in-one-year-or-so obvious cash-in... You get the idea.

L4D2 pales in comparison to L4D. Daytime levels removed half of the horror aspect of the game and the new Infected were more annoying than anything, not to mention that L4D2's cast weren't as interesting nor as fun as L4D's.

gunner1905

Jun 18, 2010
EllEzDee said:
Bags159 said:
"Firey bullets!", 3 superfluous new enemies that add nothing to the game which the original ones didn't already accomplish, reskinned weapons which work the same way the originals did, and best of all, melee combat (doesn't even require an explanation...).
And i didn't mean it was "scary", i just meant that it was far more fitting than a bunch of hicks (sorry South-North 'murica) with banjo music in a sunny town.
Fiery bullets maybe is a gimmick but you don't have to bother with that, just play on a modded server. Melee weapons though is certainly not a gimmick, it changes the whole game, if you're good 2 slashes with a melee weapon will get you out of being swarmed.
I prefer the second one anyway, because of the melee weapons and the more varied gameplay (and the hunting rifle is so awesome)

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
SammiYin said:
Does this mean any L4D sequels we get won't be using Source and therefore good?!
YES PLEASE!
Does anyone else like how they had to get away from Valve to start making original games?
Are you trolling or what? I thought L4D was pretty original. I don't how you can conclude that a game is not good because it uses the Source engine... Last time I checked all the games that used it were really good. Sure its outdated but it still looks better than a lot of other engines that are in use.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
SammiYin said:
YES PLEASE!
In full derp mode today are we? Valve own´s the L4D and as thus they are the only one allowed to make game with that name to it. Unless they grant another studio the rights to publish a game with the name they own.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
If I got a euro for every time someone said: "We're going to take the blank experience to a whole new level", I'd be swimming in gold..

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Thank god the L4D people are leaving Valve. Maybe that will take Valve back to their streak of good games.

Strixvaliano

Feb 8, 2011
I'm going to remain positive about this one. Hopefully they can churn out something good again.

Although I take this statement, "We're going to take the first person shooter experience to a whole new level." with a grain of salt because what developer making a first person shooter hasn't said that? They all usually turn out pretty mediocre.

Jul 22, 2009
Awesome, I far preferred L4D 1 over 2 and THQ are by far one of my favourite publishers (up there with Bethesda).

I'll be watching this closely.

WorldFree55

May 22, 2011
THEJORRRG said:
"We're going to take the first person shooter experience to a whole new level"

This is a most overused sentence recently. Every FPS has said this. I think we should be done with FPS's for a while.
Do you remember the advertistments for bulletstorm? XD

Biodeamon

Apr 11, 2011
whenever they say they're going to take the first person shooter to a new level it's never a good thing

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
JNA17 said:
THEJORRRG said:
"We're going to take the first person shooter experience to a whole new level"

This is a most overused sentence recently. Every FPS has said this. I think we should be done with FPS's for a while.
Do you remember the advertistments for bulletstorm? XD
Yeah it was about taking the FPS to a whole new level of explosions and awesome, brah.

Beach_Sided

Jun 25, 2010
Shanecooper said:
Someone remind me. What was the last game THQ was involved in?
I need to know if I should anticipate this upcoming game or not.
Well it sounds like this game won't be out for a couple of years, so there will be other THQ releases before then.

In terms of other THQ games, from memory they did Metro 2033, Saints Row, Homefront, de Blob, UFC and Warhammer.

I quite like THQ actually, they don't always get it right in terms of quality but in terms of genres and trying new IPs, then they are definitely one of the bravest publishers.

beema

Aug 19, 2009
As long as the game operates through steam servers, this sounds great! :p