Legacy of The Void Owners Get Early Access to Heroes of The Storm Hero

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Legacy of The Void Owners Get Early Access to Heroes of The Storm Hero

Players who pre-purchase Legacy of The Void will get to play as Artanis in Heroes of The Storm a week early.

Diablo III cross-promotion [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/heroes%20of%20the%20storm?os=heroes+of+the+storm] saw Diablo III owners get the Diablo hero for free. Now, it's StarCraft's turn to shine, and in a first for the game, those who pre-purchase Legacy of The Void will get exclusive early access to Artanis.

Artanis, Hierarch of the Protoss, will go on sale for Heroes of the Storm on October 27, while Legacy of The Void pre-purchasers will be able to use him starting October 20. Essentially, pre-purchasing not only gives you Artanis for free, it lets you use him a week before all of the free-to-play plebs.

If you've pre-purchased a physical version of Legacy of the Void, you'll be able to contact Blizzard customer support on October 20 with proof of purchase to gain early access.

To clarify, if you purchase Legacy of the Void after October 20, you'll still receive Artanis for free. The promotion will last until November 13 - three days after the game's November 10 release date.

Artanis will be a new melee warrior type champion. You can read more about him here [http://www.heroesnexus.com/heroes/60-artanis?filter-ptr=1].

Source: Blizzard [http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/19915236/unlock-artanis-in-heroes-with-legacy-of-the-void-10-6-2015]

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
The title of the article on the main page says: "Legacy of the Storm Owners".

I'm assuming you want that to be "Void"?

Anyway, this character certainly looks badass. Is he from the Legacy of the Void, or his he a brand new character?

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
RedDeadFred said:

Anyway, this character certainly looks badass. Is he from the Legacy of the Void, or his he a brand new character?
Artanis dates back to original Starcraft (and yes, will also be in Legacy of the Void), or at least Brood War.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Jadak said:
RedDeadFred said:

Artanis dates back to original Starcraft (and yes, will also be in Legacy of the Void), or at least Brood War.
Because I can't remember I looked him up on the Starcraft Wiki http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Artanis So he's been in the story from Starcraft but only became a unit in Brood War.

ex951753

Nov 11, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Artanis is a melee warrior, but not too much more is known about him at this stage.
Actually everything you need to know about him has been up for quite a while:
http://www.heroesnexus.com/heroes/60-artanis?filter-ptr=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehgoP9GIyQA

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
ex951753 said:
Steven Bogos said:
Artanis is a melee warrior, but not too much more is known about him at this stage.
Actually everything you need to know about him has been up for quite a while:
http://www.heroesnexus.com/heroes/60-artanis?filter-ptr=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehgoP9GIyQA
Thanks for the heads up! I've edited the post

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
So this is where pre-order culture has gotten to now? "Pre-Order this game and you'll get a bonus...for a completely different game!"

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
RJ 17 said:
So this is where pre-order culture has gotten to now? "Pre-Order this game and you'll get a bonus...for a completely different game!"
It works for Blizzard, lots of their stuff is interconnected. I play everything Blizzard has (Except for hearthstone). I preorder/deluxe upgrade, I get shiney goodies on three other games that I play anyway.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
RedDeadFred said:

He is technically an old character but there has been very little focus on him in the main story. I suppose he is sort of new in that we will get to know him far more.

fluxy100

May 22, 2010
RedDeadFred said:

If I remember correctly, Artanis is the executor that was the player character in the original Starcraft Protoss Campaign. He then got a story in Brood War and became one of the head Protoss

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
fluxy100 said:
If I remember correctly, Artanis is the executor that was the player character in the original Starcraft Protoss Campaign. He then got a story in Brood War and became one of the head Protoss
Not the player character. It can sort of seem that way based on the story perspective but typically, the player is in the role of some other anonymous commander/cerebrate/executor with whom Artanis and I believe all other characters exist separate from.

In most cases, like with Artanis, the other characters even communicate directly to the player character (At least in Starcraft 1, I believe 2 implies that you are these characters).

Edit: On second look, I probably misinterpreted that and if you're suggesting that Artanis is the anonymous executor you play in the original and only a separate character in Brood War, that does seem quite possible and could very well be the case.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
What's Heroes of the Storm?

Is Blizzard still trying to make that a thing? How long is it going to take them to realize that the novelty has worn off?

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
SlumlordThanatos said:
What's Heroes of the Storm?

Is Blizzard still trying to make that a thing? How long is it going to take them to realize that the novelty has worn off?
But if HOTS doesn't take off, how will Zuna feed all the starving children of the world?

On a less snarky note, it's cool and all, and I'm going to be getting him this way...but he should be banned from ranked matches until his official release date. It's completely unfair to people who don't want to spend $60 on an unrelated game if he turns out to be good, to have an even playing field for a week.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
RJ 17 said:
I'm not sure about pre-order culture, but this has been a Blizzard thing for 10 years. Pre-ordering the newest thing normally opens up cosmetic bonuses in other, unrelated Blizzard games.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Pre-order culture?

I mean, yeah you get the character a week early if you preorder, however you can still get him for free if you just buy the game.

To clarify, if you purchase Legacy of the Void after October 20, you'll still receive Artanis for free. The promotion will last until November 13 - three days after the game's November 10 release date.
Its in the post and everything. Yeah 3 days isn't nearly as long a time as what they gave for Valla or Diablo, but that's still a pretty sweet deal. You can wait up to 3 days after the game has come out to find out if its worth the cash and, if you play heroes of the storm, you get a free hero that would normally be 10 dollars.

Really, Blizzards actually especially good about not falling into preorder culture. They very rarely segment anything away from their games with preorder garbage. If you do preorder you might get somethin early, but you're never left out for having not preordered. Exhibit A, Legacy of the Void. If you preorder it you get beta access (that's nice I guess) and you get access to the prologue missions which are a way to tie the stories of Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void together. That sounds bad, except before the game launches everyone, regardless of if they've bought any Starcraft game, can play the prologue missions for free.

In fact, thinkin back I can't think of any Blizzard game that had preorder bonuses that you couldn't pick up eventually anyway. Generally its cross promotional stuff. Hearthstone cardback, minipets for WoW (that you actually get no matter what, woW account lapsed for a year when I started playin Heroes. When I came back I was still able to redeem the mount and pet that I had earned in Heroes even though my WoW account lapsed almost a year earlier), weird stuff for D3.

Selucia

Feb 27, 2015
Its nice to see patrick seitz voice a blizzard character besides an orc for a change. Wonder if overwatch characters might get added to the nexus since there's only so many characters you can have from the same three IP'S before it gets a little stale.