Legend of Grimrock Turns a Fast Profit

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Legend of Grimrock Turns a Fast Profit

Legend of Grimrock has already made back its development cost "many times over."

Sometimes, in an industry in which selling more than a million copies is often seen as a sign of failure [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116713-Epic-Kills-Bulletstorm-Sequel], it's nice to hear about developers who find success by just going out and making the game they want to make. So let's talk a bit about Legend of Grimrock, the dungeon-crawling RPG recently released by Finnish studio Almost Human Games. Legend of Grimrock is an unwaveringly old-school experience, with sparse graphics, vicious puzzles and enemies who will swat you like a fly. It also seems to be a pretty big hit.

Review scores and forum feedback alike have been positive, but what really counts is that the game is apparently turning a handy profit. Almost Human declined to provide specifics but told The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168617/Oldschool_RPG_Legend_of_Grimrock_covers_dev_costs_in_a_few_days.php].

Almost Human Games joins Frictional Games, which had a hit in 2011 with the horror title Call of Duty [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/features/9011-The-Terrifying-Tale-of-Amnesia]-like numbers, all three are relatively big successes that have made their respective studios profitable, long-term enterprises. I can't help but think that there's something to be learned in that.

The awesomely old-fashioned Legend of Grimrock is available now on grimrock.net [http://store.steampowered.com/app/207170/].

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
It's always good to hear a great game is doing very well...

In amidst of all the sorts of drama I read about when it comes to games and it's industry, this is a breath of fresh air...

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Good - they deserve it! It's the main game I'm playing now, and it's extremely well done. A very elegant, polished, and challenging dungeon crawler.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Andy Chalk said:
First-person perspective notwithstanding, the three games have almost nothing in common aside from being low-cost PC exclusives aimed at niche audiences
That's the exact thing Brad Wardell has been banging on about for years. Target a niche that allows you to keep your production budgets modest, service that niche well and the rest is cake.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
I've seen a couple of videos of someone starting a playthrough on this and it does look pretty good. I'd be buying it if it wasn't for acursed exams. I wonder though how much it took to develop.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
AS IT SHOULD. The game is absolutely brilliant, and if you aren't playing it right this instant, you should be ashamed.

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
They deserve it, the game is really good. You can see that it was made with a tight budget, but it makes the most out of it. Besides, it's a very well-executed dungeon crawler for an excellent price.

EDIT: Forgot to add, it displaced all games I was playing before. Right now, all my free time available to gaming is being spent on Legend of Grimrock.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
Kind of interested. Might pick up later, but I've been saving money for Battlefield 3 for too long to switch targets now. Still have to get through both Baldur's Gate games, too.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i thought it was a weird typo when i first heard of it, then i found it has nothing to do with a transforming, fire-breathing, robot, T-Rex that owns unreal amounts of face :/ needless to say, i feel kinda cheated by all this .....

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Brilliant game. I'm glad they did so well, they deserve it. Can't wait for the mapping tools that they'll be releasing soon.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ah, i saw this on thier forums earlier when looking for news on updates.

And its only right that i should make however much it did. I definitely feel the game to be worth my money, and i have little doubt i wouldnt feel otherwise if i bought it at full price.

DVS BSTrD said:
"Grimrock"? Sounds more like a 'Philosopher's Stone', AmIright?
Erm... no. Grimrock is the name of the mountain the dungeon is based in, so unless theres a Philosopher's Mountain i find it hard to call a comparison.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
lacktheknack said:
AS IT SHOULD. The game is absolutely brilliant, and if you aren't playing it right this instant, you should be ashamed.
I'm not so much ashamed as I am totally jelly of that one Steam friend who's been playing it for about 5 hours a day since release. I can't afford the game right now :(. Want so bad. Once the 25th rolls around, though, that's the first thing I'm doing once I get home from work.

OT: Super special awesome. Yeah, I have nothing to add, because I haven't played it yet *single tear*

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Awesome game. If only it didn't make my computer shutdown after playing for an hour. So frustrating.

Seriously, I can play Skyrim and BF3 on full with no issues, but this game overheats my graphics card like no one's business.

tobi the good boy

Dec 16, 2007
gigastar said:
Ah, i saw this on thier forums earlier when looking for news on updates.

And its only right that i should make however much it did. I definitely feel the game to be worth my money, and i have little doubt i wouldnt feel otherwise if i bought it at full price.

DVS BSTrD said:
"Grimrock"? Sounds more like a 'Philosopher's Stone', AmIright?
Erm... no. Grimrock is the name of the mountain the dungeon is based in, so unless theres a Philosopher's Mountain i find it hard to call a comparison.
I believe he was making a veiled reference to philosophers having a melancholy or 'Grim' outlook on life that comes with their strong introspection and observation.

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
maddog015 said:
Awesome game. If only it didn't make my computer shutdown after playing for an hour. So frustrating.

Seriously, I can play Skyrim and BF3 on full with no issues, but this game overheats my graphics card like no one's business.
Turn on Vsync.
There's a patch coming to make Vsync automatically enabled, but in the meantime turning it on should keep your graphics card from churning out 500 frames per second.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
omicron1 said:
maddog015 said:

Turn on Vsync.
There's a patch coming to make Vsync automatically enabled, but in the meantime turning it on should keep your graphics card from churning out 500 frames per second.
That explains a lot. Vsync is finally good for something :D

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
SL33TBL1ND said:
Brilliant game. I'm glad they did so well, they deserve it. Can't wait for the mapping tools that they'll be releasing soon.
I can't either. I'm already designing my epic maps of epic.