Legend of Korra Moving to Digital for Last Five Episodes

ConanThe3rd

Jul 3, 2012
What a goddamn mess, entire thing could have been avoided if Nick didn't reach for the sun and go for a season 2. This is their bed to lie on.

Hopefully TMNT has enough eyes on it to make sure it doesn't get brutalized.

PunkRex said:
I really need to find how it is channels judge whether or not a show is 'popular', you air a show once or twice a week, tell no one and just expect the fans to know. I swear this happened to MLP:FiM last year on Nick here in the UK... and MLP:FiM has a HUGE fan base, siiiiiigh...
It was Cartoon Network (via it's misused Boomerang channel) that aired it last year and made an utter mess of it.

Then CSC did everyone a favour and get it for Tiny Pop.

And then they get Inazuma Eleven on Kix.

Doin' God's work, they are.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Sir Shockwave said:
Snip

TL;DR: If not even BATMAN can air even one full, consistant, un-meddled with season on CN, what chance do you think Korra has against the powers of the CN executives?
I know you weren't just talking about me in particular but I stated CN would love to have Korra or any other Avatar Franchise because theoretically, they like action shows marketed towards younger boys. But given all those examples you've said, some of them I already knew about, I guess that's just not the case any more.
Shame too, because this franchise can be a cash cow for any network.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Okay, according to their panel at SDCC, allegedly their original plan for Book 3 was to do an online only release, but that got changed due to the leak.

Still, doesn't change how shit Nick has been treating Korra and the creators all this time.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
You know, sometimes I wish i was a child of one of the suits that make these poor decisions just so I could go "Dad/Mom, you're a absolute moron, wake up and do it right."

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
Well this explains a little of the weirdness in the book 3 viewing. So annoying they are. Let?s hope book 4 gets out alive. I am thinking this will be the end the Avatar shows for now.

bioshockedcriticjrr

Sep 28, 2009
dragongit said:
About as effective as Fox's scheduling. Lots of shows died not for poor ratings... sometimes. But the fact nobody knew what time it was on. No, let's focus on Sponge Bob some more, some show about a boy and a snake, and two... bird things delivering bread... THOSE ARE THE REAL SHOWS ON NICK!
You know, this site really needs a like button or something because I completely fucking agree.

Sir Shockwave

Jul 4, 2011
Story said:
I know you weren't just talking about me in particular but I stated CN would love to have Korra or any other Avatar Franchise because theoretically, they like action shows marketed towards younger boys. But given all those examples you've said, some of them I already knew about, I guess that's just not the case any more.
Somebody anyway. It's not just you - a few others have pointed out, thus I needed to remind everyone of the recent disasters of what's happened when CN touches an Action cartoon these days.

I still remember when CN had things like the Toonami block, but it's a real sign of network delay when not even someone like Batman can have a full season without being interfered with. And if Batman can't, who can?

In personal opinion, I would suggest if it went anywhere, it would go towards a less well known or syndicated channel. Last I heard, there's a lot you can get away with on syndicated TV (though there's still boundaries obviously), although the viewing figures won't be too great (which itself is a double edged sword).

I know a few people have suggested The Hub, but I'm a bit iffy about moving the show there.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
ConanThe3rd said:
What a goddamn mess, entire thing could have been avoided if Nick didn't reach for the sun and go for a season 2. This is their bed to lie on.

Hopefully TMNT has enough eyes on it to make sure it doesn't get brutalized.

PunkRex said:
I really need to find how it is channels judge whether or not a show is 'popular', you air a show once or twice a week, tell no one and just expect the fans to know. I swear this happened to MLP:FiM last year on Nick here in the UK... and MLP:FiM has a HUGE fan base, siiiiiigh...
It was Cartoon Network (via it's misused Boomerang channel) that aired it last year and made an utter mess of it.

Then CSC did everyone a favour and get it for Tiny Pop.

And then they get Inazuma Eleven on Kix.

Doin' God's work, they are.
That's right, it was CN but it's on Tiny Pop now huh... neat.

ISearchForTraps

Jun 22, 2009
MasterBetty said:
Veldie said:
RaikuFA said:
epicdwarf said:
Yeah Nick screws over shows like this all the time. If a show is not named sponge-bob or is not a shitty comedy, then it ends up dead. Avatar was one of the few exceptions to this rule.
CN has also done this too. Anyone remember what happened to Symbiotic Titan?
That was more due to no one wanting to make toys based off of it.

OT: They treated Invader Zim the same way. Least there's a script for the series finale for Zim.
I dunno why but I could totally see Japan selling Avatar Figurines or something like adult collector toys.
Actually Japan isn't keen when it comes to Avatar. I'm sure the parallels between the Fire Nation and Imperialistic Japan have absolutely nothing to do with it.

On topic, this makes me very sad. I had gotten so spoiled on two episodes a week and now they are taking it away.

Countdown to SDCC panel commencing.
Weird, they didn't seem to object to similar undertones in Code Geass, the whole Pro-Imperialist Japan thing they had featured so prominently. Maybe because in Avatar it's seen as negative? Then again it was much more blatant in Code Geass.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ISearchForTraps said:
Weird, they didn't seem to object to similar undertones in Code Geass, the whole Pro-Imperialist Japan thing they had featured so prominently. Maybe because in Avatar it's seen as negative? Then again it was much more blatant in Code Geass.
I would think it had more to do with the origin of the show, myself.

UltimatheChosen

Mar 6, 2009
Roofstone said:
But.. The third season is really really good! I've yet to dislike any of the episodes.. Even Korra herself is more likeable now.

Nick is weird.
The problem is that TV networks do not broadcast shows based on how good they are, they do it based on how much money they earn from them, which comes from stuff like advertising and merchandise. If a show has low viewership numbers, advertisers won't pay as much to put ads on (because the ads are reaching fewer people).

I find it hard to get mad at companies that cut programs that aren't earning enough to be worth it. Now, that being said, it sounds like Nickolodeon bears at least some of the blame for the poor ratings the show has gotten, since according to the article they didn't promote the show properly and have been burning through the episodes quickly and in a poor timeslot, but they may have been doing that because Season 2 of the show had significantly worse ratings than the first season. (And Season 3 has even fewer viewers than Season 2, but again, that's probably affected by the lack of publicity and promotion for it. I'm a fan of the show and I didn't even realize that the third season had started until they had already aired half a dozen episodes.)

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Sir Shockwave said:
Story said:

I know a few people have suggested The Hub, but I'm a bit iffy about moving the show there.
I don't know about The Hub on one hand Transformer Prime had a full season on the other GI joe Renegades and Kaijudo got cancelled before their time

Rastrelly

%PCName
Mar 19, 2011
Korra S1 doomed the show. It was a failure on every level. Korra gets beaten time after time and then wins due to deus ex machina. She is absolutely not proactive when she should, and is when she shouldn't, etc. Supporting cast is boring with a few exceptions. Second season shown some attempts to fix stuff, but went into a random nonsensical direction, finishing with a huge BLAM on series canonic elements. Third season did not interest me at all, so I don't know if anything went better, but I suppose you cant fix what was initially built the wrong way.

Lawstudent1

Aug 5, 2014
I've been watching Avatar since I was a kid and now I'm 21. It is a show that has not only been entertaining but something I watch to lift my spirits when I'm down. It is a work of art. I've seen all the episodes 100+ times, bought the DVDs, etc. So how do I feel about Nickelodeon's treatment of the show? I'm heading to law school to study corporate law and even as a corporate executive I wouldn't be able to pull out a dick move like this on such an amazing, creative show. Yes, Korra has had its ups and downs, but lets face it...End of the day we're all fuckin happy that they are even continuing with the franchise, made another avatar and are exploring the avatar universe. We got to see an older Zuko for God's sake, I was literally cheering when I saw him appear.

Mike and Bryan, take your brilliance to another studio/channel that will be able to nurture the show as one of its primetime best shows. Nickelodeon's emphasis on shows like Spongebob is amazing (no offence to Spongebob I like it too but it doesn't compare to the richness of the Avatar universe).

Also, I loved Book 2 for its emphasis on the Spirit World, Avatar Wan and the history of the Harmonic Convergence. The faults lie with the soap-opera like scenes that were becoming a bit much at the beginning of the season. I believe the true reason that Korra feels rushed and underdeveloped is because Nickelodeon only ordered fuckin 13-14 episodes per season which is incredibly laughable. TLA had 20 episodes per season and most episodes centered on just the Team Avatar and their adventures. Korra has many more characters that frequent each episode and play an important role, but their backstories are not developed because the creators must wrap up the season in 13 episodes.

Bring back the 20 episodes per season quota, advertise and market the show the way it deserves to be and you will have a successful franchise back on trap. Period.