Legend of Korra Premiere: Thoughts?

MPerce

May 29, 2011
Even though it premieres on TV this Saturday, it's already available for free through iTunes for whatever reason.

If you've seen it, what'd you think? If you haven't seen it, go watch it right now, then come back here.

anteru

Jul 28, 2010
i am enjoying the new animation style and the music is pretty damn good.

but if i do not find out what happened to zuko's mom i am going to lose it. ><

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It's abit getting used to like how Korra is the oppersite to Aang and the use of CGI (the automobiles) but once that had past then it's good to have it back!

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
It's abit getting used to like how Korra is the oppersite to Aang and the use of CGI (the automobiles) but once that had past then it's good to have it back!
The original had a lot of CGI as well, is the new one different CGI?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm super excited about it, and Saturday can't come fast enough for me. Yeah I know I could find the leaked episodes, but I don't want to.

anteru said:
i am enjoying the new animation style and the music is pretty damn good.

but if i do not find out what happened to zuko's mom i am going to lose it. ><
Seriously! They made a big damn deal about it towards the end of the original series, and didn't even mention what happened.

Some answers about that would be really really really awesome.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
The style of the art for anything that is animated is drastically different from the background art. It works just fine most of the time but sometimes it kind of clashed for me. Mainly because I think the quality of the scenery is so much higher than the rest. Wasn't much of a big deal but it did kind of irritate me at the start. The art is generally a really high quality, nice to see in a western animation.

The music was great, obvious Jazz influences with a little bit of classical every now and then. I think this is the part which I generally liked the most. I pay far too much attention to the music in these kind of things, and it really is top notch here.

The characters and story so far aren't anything innovative. You have the hot headed person who thinks with their heart, the stoic mysterious guy who probably has a dark past, the old teacher who is behind the times etc etc. However, it's all executed so well that I didn't really mind.

Also, Steve Blum is the voice actor for the bad guy. He was only in it for like 5 seconds but I still recognised the voice. I mean, how I could I not notice the voice of Spike Seagal and Onizuka?

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
Having seen the first two episodes, I think it's going to be decent at the very least. It certainly has that "Avatar" feel to it, it's just that I got a little too attached to all the previous characters, I'm having trouble recognizing the new ones as anyone "special" (If that makes any sense)

It's nice to see the decendants of our heroes though. Now tell me what happened to Zuko's mom.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
I've been waiting for this ever since I read an announcement about it around a year ago. How odd that it premieres the day we get no new episode of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I'll have something else big and about as actiony to look forward to!

Lazzi

Apr 12, 2008
ITs nice to see that there are other people that are a courious about Zukos mother as I am. And I think that this bender vs non bender conflict will be quite interesting.

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
It premieres on Saturday but I just checked Nickelodeon and it isn't there (I'm in Australia).

Is the premiere only for America? Or is it just showing at a different time internationally?

Apollo45

Jan 30, 2011
Not bad so far. Can't say it's as good as the original series, but it definitely has promise.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I love the idea of a more steampunk influenced world. I always loved the Firenation's vehicles, such as the zeppelins and the colossal drillers, and boom, here we're being told that there are tons of these creations now that technology has advanced.

I don't have the highest hopes for it. First impressions with Korra make me think I won't like her, just like Aang. And the cast has yet to have a character as badass as Toph to make up for it.

What makes me want to watch it is that it isn't dependent on the previous installment (since I missed most of Book 2 and almost all of Book 3) and the bender vs. non-bender conflict idea, because that's just a cool premise.

VivaciousDeimos

May 1, 2010
Zenron said:
The music was great, obvious Jazz influences with a little bit of classical every now and then. I think this is the part which I generally liked the most. I pay far too much attention to the music in these kind of things, and it really is top notch here.
Don't worry, you're not the only one. I loved the whole Roaring Twenties steampunk vibe the premiere set. I'm really hoping Nickelodean will eventually release some kind of official soundtrack, from the first series and this one.

Also, Steve Blum is the voice actor for the bad guy. He was only in it for like 5 seconds but I still recognised the voice. I mean, how I could I not notice the voice of Spike Seagal and Onizuka?
And Cave Johnson is Korra's airbending teacher. I call that a win in my book.

[small]I want Tenzin to rant about lemons at some point...[/small]

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
Wait what?

This show's already almost out? I've been here thinking we had like 6 months left.

FUCK YEAH. Damn, TV's gotten real worthwhile this passed month. Game of Thrones, The Killing... now this?

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
bahumat42 said:
MPerce said:
Even though it premieres on TV this Saturday, it's already available for free through iTunes for whatever reason.

If you've seen it, what'd you think? If you haven't seen it, go watch it right now, then come back here.
the first 2 eps have been available through the fansite for like a fortnight.

And pretty good so far.
They were actually only availible for a weekend. Can no longer get them on Korra Nation. Or at least the last time I checked.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I thought it was rather enjoyable.

The idea of being set in only one place (for the most part) is kind of putting me off but I do like the steampunk, metal benders, this idea of an anti-bender revolution.

Also:
Korra is a nice change of pace.
She's kind of an arrogant tomboy which is cool.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
VivaciousDeimos said:

Oh, awesome. I didn't catch that when I was watching it. Weird, considering how much I like Portal 2.

[small]Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS![/small]

VivaciousDeimos

May 1, 2010
Zenron said:
VivaciousDeimos said:

Oh, awesome. I didn't catch that when I was watching it. Weird, considering how much I like Portal 2.

[small]Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS![/small]
[small]BURNING PEOPLE! He says what we're all thinking[/small]

...erm. Yes. I knew in advance that it was him, so I was listening for it. Tenzin--leaving his mother out of the conversation--tends to be a little bit more...subdued than Cave. Though he does have his moments. I'm interested to see more of his character and how he progresses; I'd like to see Bumi and Kya too at some point *fingers crossed*

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
As someone who was bored to tears by the original series, I'm surprised to say Legend of Korra is awesome. Excellent animation, great Asian-steampunk aesthetic, and having a slightly older protagonist makes it feel a bit less kid-centric, which is nice.