Legend of Korra Review: Old Friends and Ultimatums

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
Legend of Korra Review: Old Friends and Ultimatums

After Korra receives Zaheer?s ?Ultimatum?, she gets some advice from an old friend -- but is it too late?

Read Full Article

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
Yeah, this episode got me teared up. I have always like Tenzin, but this episode displayed what serious heart he has, and his dedication to standing by the avatar. Very powerful episode.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
Zaheer's arc will end this season, one of the things the writers of Korra have always said is each season will have different enemies.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I admit that this episode started to make me hate Zaheer a little bit. So much for his respect for the original airbender when he and his crony are given Tenzin a brutal beating!

Yeah Bolin has been great being the comic relief character (and the bit with the guard joining with the mob also crack me up aswell).

Also it look like the brother grandmother is abit senile (not given up on her family home and her reaction to the avatar) and the rest of their family haven't seen much animals (Pabu and Naga).

Lastly he fight scene were spectacular in the episode too althought I thought Bumi verses the lava bending guy was a unfair match up. No offence to Bumi but he only started learning airbending so I was suprise he was just able to stay alived from that alone!

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Bolin proving yet again that while Mako has more street smarts, he has much better people skills. Although even Bolin cannot compete against stubborn grandmothers. Yet again brute force prevails.

Grandma is best character. I hope she stays.

I wonder if we'll get to see the new Fire Lord at some point.

Despite being new to airbending, Bumi still managed to do more damage than Bolin, a lifelong earthbender. I puit this down to his ungodly amount of luck.

I can see why they put Ming-Hua in a volcano, she's kinda overpowered given enough water. Her insane laughter doesn't help matters.

Lots of interesting stuff this week.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
That final bit with Tenzin was hard to watch, I haven't seen scumbag tactics like that since playing Borderlands 2 and dealing with Handsome Jack.

I had a feeling they wouldn't stop with just really horrid rulers, anyone who say's "No thanks" to their style of running the world would have them attacking and killing those who resist. Guess I was right, Zaheer and his group are just "Everything burns!" when it comes to how the world should work.

I honestly just want team Avatar to break their collective foots off in Zaheer's groups ass, I honestly hate them as much as I hated that monster Azula from "The Last Airbender".

Sorry about the anger but damnit, those guys really got to me this episode.

kailus13 said:
Despite being new to airbending, Bumi still managed to do more damage than Bolin, a lifelong earthbender. I put this down to his ungodly amount of luck.
Maybe that's his real talent, pure luck. :D

AliasBot

Jun 14, 2013
Well, at least Tenzin finally got to show off his true skills as an airbending master; he was winning that fight before Zaheer's backup arrived. Hopefully he survives.

...also, it's a pity the new airbenders haven't learned Aang's old hover-ball technique yet. It might not have let them fly away, but it at least would have been faster than running.

(This season has impressed me so far: neither the plot nor the characters and their actions feel nearly as contrived as they did in the last two seasons, particularly season 2. The show seems like it's finally coming into its own, stepping up its game to at least where ATLA was in the middle of its run, while still maintaining its own identity. Provided the finale finishes things off on a strong note, I'll be eagerly looking forward to season 4.)

Chappy0

Feb 22, 2008
The writers really decided to screw with viewers this episode, especially at the end when Tenzin says "As long as I'm breathing, it's not over" and it pauses on Zaheer's face, especially after what happened last episode. Just, holy hell. (I'm so glad they finally did that with Airbending though, I've been waiting for that ever since TLA when bloodbending was introduced)

Also, Lava guy seems to be pretty broken; unless you're avoiding the ground completely you're at a major disadvantage with that guy, one misstep and you're in lava; that's much worse that basic flames from Firebenders.

Mike Hoffman

In the middle of calibrations...
Sep 25, 2013
kailus13 said:
I can see why they put Ming-Hua in a volcano, she's kinda overpowered given enough water. Her insane laughter doesn't help matters.
Fun fact: She is voiced by the same person that voiced Azula, Grey DeLisle.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
youji itami said:
Zaheer's arc will end this season, one of the things the writers of Korra have always said is each season will have different enemies.
Man, I hope so. I hated waiting for Book Three to come out in The Last Airbender after the way Book Two ended. As nice as the idea sounds of Korra turning herself over, I don't think I can wait for however long Nick would make us wait to find out what happens.
Plus, half the season would probably be Korra either trying to escape, or slowly coming around to the villains' point of view, and I hate it when shows stall like that.

I seem to remember last week's review asked how people felt about Zaheer now that he seemed to have some moral greyness to him, and I said I still didn't like him. He's a thug, and he's a leader of thugs. He just happens to dislike another villain, but that didn't redeem him in my eyes. I think this episode proves my point.
Honestly, I'm hoping Korra kills him. No cheap way out like taking away his bending, no putting him back in prison. She is not Aang. Other Avatars have killed people in the past.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Vivi_Orunitia said:
The writers really decided to screw with viewers this episode, especially at the end when Tenzin says "As long as I'm breathing, it's not over" and it pauses on Zaheer's face, especially after what happened last episode. Just, holy hell. (I'm so glad they finally did that with Airbending though, I've been waiting for that ever since TLA when bloodbending was introduced)

Also, Lava guy seems to be pretty broken; unless you're avoiding the ground completely you're at a major disadvantage with that guy, one misstep and you're in lava; that's much worse that basic flames from Firebenders.
When he said that, my first thought was, "Oh god, please don't have him kill Tenzin. 0-0". In a messed up way I was relieved when they just beat the hell out of him, but not that much. :(

People should have seen this coming. Zaheer wants all rulers/leaders dead. Regardless of how they treat people. I mean, I'm not a big fan of Republic City's president, but do people really think someone like him should be killed? Because Zaheer does. Even someone like Tenzin is on the choking list.

Also, you have a point about Ghazan. Bumi had a good idea about jumping on his back. Hard to lava bend a human backpack. xD
Granted, Bumi is new to bending, but he was in the army for a good while right?
You'd think he'd be better at hand to hand combat.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Mike Hoffman said:
kailus13 said:
Fun fact: She is voiced by the same person that voiced Azula, Grey DeLisle.
That's not a very fun fact :(

The ending hit me like a MK fatality. I hated it, but loved it for being so effective.

Drago-Morph

Mar 28, 2010
So they introduced bloodbending and revealed that, yeah, bending can be super scary, then everyone clamored for airbending suffocation, and we got it. So how long until we see skeletonbending from those crafty earthbenders?

Cartographer

Jun 1, 2009
Drago-Morph said:
So they introduced bloodbending and revealed that, yeah, bending can be super scary, then everyone clamored for airbending suffocation, and we got it. So how long until we see skeletonbending from those crafty earthbenders?
It's when you consider that life is just an exothermic reaction happening in every cell in your body and that a fire bender should be able to snuff you out with a simple click of his/her fingers that it gets a little scary (worse if you think about him/her expanding each and every flame in each end every cell to ~10x its size and cooking you in an instant).

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
youji itami said:
I haven't heard that. But assuming its true, its possible that Zaheer can still be around next season, but not the enemy of next season. It's possible that his actions or Korra's inability to make actions puts the world at risk from a greater threat and Zaheer will realize the grave error in his vaguely established plan.

OT: I'm excited for the finale. This season has had ups and downs and still isn't anywhere near as fun as Book 2 of Korra. But this last episode has me hopeful it'll end on a much stronger note and be the Korra we've always wanted, but haven't gotten until now. I think the digital move has helped the show find its voice a bit better than it ever would have sticking to TV.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
SilverUchiha said:
youji itami said:
I haven't heard that. But assuming its true, its possible that Zaheer can still be around next season, but not the enemy of next season. It's possible that his actions or Korra's inability to make actions puts the world at risk from a greater threat and Zaheer will realize the grave error in his vaguely established plan.

OT: I'm excited for the finale. This season has had ups and downs and still isn't anywhere near as fun as Book 2 of Korra. But this last episode has me hopeful it'll end on a much stronger note and be the Korra we've always wanted, but haven't gotten until now. I think the digital move has helped the show find its voice a bit better than it ever would have sticking to TV.

You do know that the last few episodes would have aired on TV if the ratings didn't bomb and that they haven't been changed in anyway since the move to online only right?

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
Vivi_Orunitia said:

When he said that, my first thought was, "Oh god, please don't have him kill Tenzin. 0-0". In a messed up way I was relieved when they just beat the hell out of him, but not that much. :(

People should have seen this coming. Zaheer wants all rulers/leaders dead. Regardless of how they treat people. I mean, I'm not a big fan of Republic City's president, but do people really think someone like him should be killed? Because Zaheer does. Even someone like Tenzin is on the choking list.
Would they really kill Tenzin though? As i recall the air nomads don't really have "leaders" as they always look to their gurus/elders for wisdom and guidance. Since Zaheer is so fascinated by the teachings of the gurus i would think he's willing to make that distinction and at least not take Tenzin's life.

I really like the way they've set up Zaheer so he's not just some straight-up bad guy, but actually has a few ideas i can agree with and i hope i'm right about him so that my view of him isn't destroyed.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Imp Emissary said:
Vivi_Orunitia said:

Would they really kill Tenzin though? As i recall the air nomads don't really have "leaders" as they always look to their gurus/elders for wisdom and guidance. Since Zaheer is so fascinated by the teachings of the gurus i would think he's willing to make that distinction and at least not take Tenzin's life.

I really like the way they've set up Zaheer so he's not just some straight-up bad guy, but actually has a few ideas i can agree with and i hope i'm right about him so that my view of him isn't destroyed.
I've seen a few people say this, so I have to ask, what idea/ideas has he mentioned that you agree with?

Because if it's just the whole "the world could be better than it is" thing, that's a bit vague.

And seeing as his idea of better seems to need lots of death to get done, I'm not so sure most people would/should agree.

Remember, he doesn't just want to put an end to leaders/rulers, but nations too (like the Air nation for example). He has a lot of respect for the Avatar and the Air benders. True.

He still seems VERY willing to kill them all to get what he wants.

I do agree we can't complete our judgement of Zaheer until we know ALL of the plan, but I have my doubts that we'll be persuaded once we do.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Imp Emissary said:
Ulquiorra4sama said:
Imp Emissary said:
Vivi_Orunitia said:

I've seen a few people say this, so I have to ask, what idea/ideas has he mentioned that you agree with?

Because if it's just the whole "the world could be better than it is" thing, that's a bit vague.

And seeing as his idea of better seems to need lots of death to get done, I'm not so sure most people would/should agree.

Remember, he doesn't just want to put an end to leaders/rulers, but nations too (like the Air nation for example). He has a lot of respect for the Avatar and the Air benders. True.

He still seems VERY willing to kill them all to get what he wants.

I do agree we can't complete our judgement of Zaheer until we know ALL of the plan, but I have my doubts that we'll be persuaded once we do.
As much as i usually get hounded on the internet for admitting to this: i really do have a slightly anarchistic leaning. I just agree with Zaheer because i too think that the world would be better without one person in control of a nation, or without carreer politicians who try and run a show while never peeking backstage. I think the world would be better without borders, making it one entire collective rather than forcing the notion of "them" and "us" that i blame for a lot of the wars that happen.

Cultures can still exist within such a world, spiritual leaders lending wisdom to those who have chosen to follow them. It's very naive to think such a change can be made quickly without any casualties, it would either be Zaheer's way or something very gradual so we don't just cause more chaos. Zaheer's killing is what i don't agree with, obviously.