Legend of Korra(sami) comics confirmed.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
I really don't know how to feel about this. I mean, I love the Avatar series, would love to know what happens next, and without the oversight that they were stuck with while trying to make a show. But then again, so far with the information given, the focus is going to be Korrasami (which I really am not a fan of the pairing), and the aftermath of the war is being made out to be the B plot.

I dunno, I guess we'll see when it come out (likely the soonest being late 2016).

Kolby Jack

Come at me scrublord, I'm ripped
Apr 29, 2011
soren7550 said:
I really don't know how to feel about this. I mean, I love the Avatar series, would love to know what happens next, and without the oversight that they were stuck with while trying to make a show. But then again, so far with the information given, the focus is going to be Korrasami (which I really am not a fan of the pairing), and the aftermath of the war is being made out to be the B plot.

I dunno, I guess we'll see when it come out (likely the soonest being late 2016).
Nick still owns the rights to the series. While they MAY be more lax with the comics, I doubt the restrictions would change much, as LoK was fairly lax anyway.

Lord Garnaat

Apr 10, 2012
Marxie said:
Lord Garnaat said:
Hopefully we get to see more of Kuvira. You've got to love a villain that is (almost) completely right (almost) all the time.
If we ever see her again - she will be reduced to her Freudian Excuse. I guarantee it.
Urgh, I sure hope not. Kuvira is one of my favorite villains period due in no small part to her being very sympathetic and justified in her actions (up to a point). For the first five or six episodes of Season 4, I was completely on Team Kuvira, mainly because - and let's all be honest here - she did nothing wrong. It honestly baffled me that Opal and Su-completely-useless-aging-hippy-moron-Yin Beifong were calling her some evil tyrant when all she had been doing was legally reunifying a nation broken into anarchy, where bandits were preying on the weak, by demanding that separatist states rejoin their lawful ruler.

You're angry that big bad Kuvira has the combined weight of an entire country bearing down on Zaofu? Well, maybe you should ask why millions of Earth Kingdom citizens follow her and no one else. Might it possibly have something to do with you sitting back in your fancy city, sipping tea and doing nothing while your country fell apart, while she stepped up and fixed the problem? So far as I'm concerned, the Earth Kingdom was in such bad shape after misrule and chaos that a strong, centralized government was necessary to keep the peace and bring it back to order, especially since the Avatar was MIA. I would have preferred that she allowed Wu to be the figurehead monarch for the sake of international relations, but honestly her seizing power didn't bother me that much. Not to mention that she manages to be more honorable than some of the protagonists, who insist on trying to assassinate her during a peaceful truce and then attacking her during a one-on-one duel.

So yeah, I was basically rooting for Kuvira the whole time... well, until the writers got lazy and threw out the word "re-education camp." I still think it's a shame that they resorted to such a cop-out to make her seem more villainous - presumably they figured out that she was a little to easy to side with.

Maybe if the creators of this new comic series can tear themselves away from their 5-star, cruise liner ship they can address the idea that perhaps Kuvira's actions were necessary after all, seeing that this new political arrangement of independent Earth states sounds like its going to be a complete poop-show. Though I really doubt it.

A man can dream though... a man can dream.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I hope Nick doesnt force them to call off the Korrasami relationship to avoid controversy. They didnt even let them do much more than imply it in the cartoons...

Ikasury

May 15, 2013
Lord Garnaat said:
Marxie said:
Lord Garnaat said:
Hopefully we get to see more of Kuvira. You've got to love a villain that is (almost) completely right (almost) all the time.
If we ever see her again - she will be reduced to her Freudian Excuse. I guarantee it.
Urgh, I sure hope not. Kuvira is one of my favorite villains period due in no small part to her being very sympathetic and justified in her actions (up to a point). For the first five or six episodes of Season 4, I was completely on Team Kuvira, mainly because - and let's all be honest here - she did nothing wrong. It honestly baffled me that Opal and Su-completely-useless-aging-hippy-moron-Yin Beifong were calling her some evil tyrant when all she had been doing was legally reunifying a nation broken into anarchy, where bandits were preying on the weak, by demanding that separatist states rejoin their lawful ruler.

You're angry that big bad Kuvira has the combined weight of an entire country bearing down on Zaofu? Well, maybe you should ask why millions of Earth Kingdom citizens follow her and no one else. Might it possibly have something to do with you sitting back in your fancy city, sipping tea and doing nothing while your country fell apart, while she stepped up and fixed the problem? So far as I'm concerned, the Earth Kingdom was in such bad shape after misrule and chaos that a strong, centralized government was necessary to keep the peace and bring it back to order, especially since the Avatar was MIA. I would have preferred that she allowed Wu to be the figurehead monarch for the sake of international relations, but honestly her seizing power didn't bother me that much. Not to mention that she manages to be more honorable than some of the protagonists, who insist on trying to assassinate her during a peaceful truce and then attacking her during a one-on-one duel.

So yeah, I was basically rooting for Kuvira the whole time... well, until the writers got lazy and threw out the word "re-education camp." I still think it's a shame that they resorted to such a cop-out to make her seem more villainous - presumably they figured out that she was a little to easy to side with.

Maybe if the creators of this new comic series can tear themselves away from their 5-star, cruise liner ship they can address the idea that perhaps Kuvira's actions were necessary after all, seeing that this new political arrangement of independent Earth states sounds like its going to be a complete poop-show. Though I really doubt it.

A man can dream though... a man can dream.
the only 'bad' part about Kuvira's reign? it turned into fascism... and we all know that's so-so-so... 'bad'... despite fascists always being oh-so fashionable :D but they're 'bad'... because 'bad'... bad, bad, bad... bad...

i'm sorry the Earth Empire had some nice uniforms... just saying...

and she may have gone a bit crazy... or that was character assassination, one of the which... still i agree, best villain because she was so sympathetic...

OT: i'd like to read it, its always fun to read more of a series, even if its fanfic, i love fanfic, and chances this WILL spawn more (hopefully good) fanfics :D

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Having been unable to finish Korra, add in the lack luster ending, the only barely hinted romance, and the mostly forgettable cast... Mehhhhh. I'll pass on the comics, I have better things to spend my small amount of spending money on anyways, like video games.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
CANON KISS! CANON KISS! CANON KISS!!!

Fieldy409 said:
I hope Nick doesnt force them to call off the Korrasami relationship to avoid controversy. They didnt even let them do much more than imply it in the cartoons...
well apparently the comics allow them to do more than what they might have done otherwise and there was the implication Korrasami would be the focus

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
> Everyone was hyped, satisfied, and freaking out in joy over LoK's finale
> Awhile after, LoK will be continued as a comic series.
> Majority bash the series and call the unique romance between two girls 'meh'
Caramel Frappe said:
But here, when the comic series is announced- people have suddenly turned the other way. Kinda feels like a band wagon effect, that when some people describe their dislike / hate for the show, suddenly they agree now.
While I didn't stop to take a census at the time, I recall a good few people getting their knickers in a knot right from the start. (Or from the end, in this case.)

It's only a change if the people getting angsty about the ending are the same ones who were singing its praises earlier.

Who knows, perhaps resentment simply has a longer shelf life than enjoyment.

AlouetteSK

Sep 4, 2014
Ambivalent about the comics at this point. Here's hoping it doesn't turn into a romantic plot tumor and will actually do a lot more exploring of the spirit world without people going OOC. Happens a lot in comics.
I'm just hoping that they'll visit a spirit bath house, forget the currency, and be forced to work there for a bit. One can dream, yes?

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
I find this to be very cool. Will be interesting to see how far they can/are able to take their romance in this. Here's hoping they give Asami something more to do besides being the driver and occasionally shocking an inept bender once and calling it a day. Asami is my favorite character, and I always felt they could have done more with her.

But hey, more focus on Korrasami would probably be better than the very little we got in the show, so I'm going to remain optimistic on this! Give me some Asami kung fu butt kicking action!

bluelucied

Jun 29, 2015
Considering the uh... poor record the comics have already (Earth King starting a whole new war plus a generous splash of Zuko angst, Zuko's mom getting amnesia and living it up with her hometown sweetheart while her children got abused by Ozai A+ character right there let me tell you, and I dont even want to know what they did to Toph) plus how Korrasami was already so poorly handled I think I am gonna be skipping these.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I've really enjoyed most of the ATLA comics, so I'm more than willing to give these a try.

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Caramel Frappe said:
Seems no one is pleased with anything anymore. I expected to come in here with people being excited or at least .. happy about the fact LoK will continue in the comics. But nope. We get people bashing it and saying 'meh' because reasons? You guys .... come on. I remember some of your faces too when LoK finale hit and you admired the concept of a lesbian relationship happening.

Why you hurt me like this.
I can only speak for myself, of course, but I wasn't really impressed to begin with. All the initial hype around Korrasami made me go back and watch the show, expecting some incredible romance and... yeah, I was not impressed. Perhaps some of the others in this thread suffered the same thing. Because yeah, the only thing Korrasami really has going for it is the concept of a lesbian relationship, and it's a concept that the writers didn't handle well. I'm sure there are no end of excuses to make there - Bryke didn't plan on it from the beginning, Bryke didn't know what they could get away with, etc - but ultimately a work has to stand on its own merits, and for me at least, Legend of Korra has very little. (Not to mention one of the creators - Bryan, I think - was a bit of a douche canoe afterwards and that somewhat soured me towards him as a person.)

Not to mention there's the possibility that, once the initial shock of lesbians in a children's cartoon wore off, people had time to assess the actual material and found it lacking. That's happened to me with other works on two separate occasions. Or maybe now that LGBT couples are starting to appear in children's cartoons even more frequently, people are seeing better examples of a lesbian relationship and knocking a few points off of Korra in response. (And I'll admit to being shamelessly biased here. I mean, I did make a thread about how Steven Universe blows Korrasami out of the water.)

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Lord Garnaat said:
For the first five or six episodes of Season 4, I was completely on Team Kuvira, mainly because - and let's all be honest here - she did nothing wrong.
Except for maybe that the Bandits she took out in the first few episodes then where used by her to steal the supplies from Opal and Kai. It has never been confirmed or denied but not long after Kuvira deals with the bandits more bandits then show up, in a swanky new plane that looks completely new, to do then stop supplies getting to a town that Kuvira wants in her empire.

Lord Garnaat said:
With this I get where your coming from but isn't it a bit lazy to throw out the "Lazy Writing" excuse whenever a villains true faults come into the light? If we have to completely pick her apart from everything good and bad she has done shouldn't we talk about her as she is in the show, where all her accomplishments and failings belong to her?

In the comics I hope they expand on the reason why Kuvira parents left her. It also seemed shitty to use that as an excuse for why she went mad when it could have been that her parents died, they didn't have money to properly care for her or maybe one of the parents was super abusive and the other didn't want her growing up in a hone like that.

Caramel Frappe said:
But here, when the comic series is announced- people have suddenly turned the other way. Kinda feels like a band wagon effect, that when some people describe their dislike / hate for the show, suddenly they agree now. It's just odd to me, because hearing about a comic series continuing the great series made me smile. To each their own I guess? Besides, I feel it didn't ruin the Avatar series because as Nostalgia Critic said...
Don't worry, their are a lot of people out there, including me, who are excited for this. Months after the ending I'm reading all the FanFiction that is popping up about Korrasami. Case in point this [http://archiveofourown.org/works/3330158/chapters/7280936] really awesome FanFic about Korra and Asami arriving in our world through the Spirit Portal.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
I'm a little torn. Yeah i was a fan of Korrasami and yes it did break the window and make it easier to include homosexual and bisexual aspects to characters in family programming... but now it's going to turn into an ongoing relationship in a spin-off being handled by one of the guys who did Katara and Aang. I'm a little worried as to whether or not he could pull it off well. Also is it just going to be a drama about the recovery after Kuvira's war and Korra and Asami's relationship, or are they going to try and throw in another war?

Granted i was pretty dismissive of Legend of Korra as a whole at first, so maybe it's paranoia speaking. Still, i think i'll wait for a couple of reviews to land before i let them take my money.

Sanderpower

Jun 26, 2014
I really liked Legend of Korra. Also many of the complaints people have with the show is because it was constantly screwed over by the network. The creators didn't even know if they were going to get more seasons, so they made the first season a self contained story. Then Nickelodeon is like "hey...where's Season 2?".

If Nick had supported the show from the get go, the plot and story would of probably been a lot more airtight. That being said, I still enjoyed avatar for what it is. You could actually see a lot of character growth in Korra, turning from someone who was brash, reckless, and over-confident. To somebody who is a lot more level headed and tries to find more peaceful solutions to problems.

I've never read the previous comics before, but I may give these comics a look after I see what the reviews say about them.