Legend of Korra, Season 4 Episode 1 Discussion

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
I liked it a whole lot. Asami's design looked a bit strange to be honest, did she get even skinnier in the last 3 years? Kuvira, if she's going to be the villain this time, seems good enough based on the first episode. Zaheer's introduction still ranks higher IMO. Now that I think about it, the strongest link here could actually be Bolin. Since he's given an actual purpose this time, maybe he'll finally break out of the Sokka-lite mold he's seemed to occupy for most of the series. Mako still remains Broody McBroodiness, but he's never bothered me that much to be honest.

I'm really looking forward to the next episode to see more of Korra. What happened to her in the last 3 years? Ah, I'm so glad this show came back so quickly. I was literally clapping my hands with glee when I fired up the episode.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Kopikatsu said:
Is watchcartoononline.com region locked? If not, you can watch them there.
Scrythe said:
Schadrach said:
Anyone know if there's a workaround to nick.com blocking streaming the new LoK based on your ISP? I'm on Suddenlink (the only option for broadband where I live), so I can't watch it because they're fighting with Viacom over the fee schedule for their channels.

I know with South Park you can literally just use southpark.cc.com instead of cc.com and watch it.
I've been watching on GoGoAnime [http://www.gogoanime.com/category/avatar-the-legend-of-korra], since the nick.com videos absolutely refuse to load for me, despite the usual troubleshoots. If that doesn't work, you might have to just grab a VPN somewhere.
Thanks guys, both of these worked for me.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
People are assuming Kuvira is the main villain, but... she's skilled, but I highly doubt she can hold a candle to the Avatar. Even Zaheer was unable to actually take Korra in a straight up fight, hence the need to kidnap her without conflict.
True, Zaheer could not take Korra in a straight up fight, but Kuvira seems...different. She's not as insane and has a good sense of leadership/intimidation for one thing. Plus, come on, this is just badass:

Besides, the trailer makes me think Korra's final fight, if there is a traditional final fight, might involve fighting off more than just one powerful bender.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
jamail77 said:
Kopikatsu said:
People are assuming Kuvira is the main villain, but... she's skilled, but I highly doubt she can hold a candle to the Avatar. Even Zaheer was unable to actually take Korra in a straight up fight, hence the need to kidnap her without conflict.
True, Zaheer could not take Korra in a straight up fight, but Kuvira seems...different. She's not as insane and has a good sense of leadership/intimidation for one thing. Plus, come on, this is just badass:

Besides, the trailer makes me think Korra's final fight, if there is a traditional final fight, might involve fighting off more than just one powerful bender.
Well. After watching epsiode 2, it seems that I was wrong.

Korra is still badly afflicted by the poison, and is unable to activate the Avatar State. It seems like the villain for this portion is actually Korra herself. Which is funny, because I'd previously said that it would be amusing if Korra was the villain for this season. And... she is. Although not in the way that I imagined it.

jamail77

May 21, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Well. After watching epsiode 2, it seems that I was wrong.

Korra is still badly afflicted by the poison, and is unable to activate the Avatar State. It seems like the villain for this portion is actually Korra herself. Which is funny, because I'd previously said that it would be amusing if Korra was the villain for this season. And... she is. Although not in the way that I imagined it.
That's actually why I said "if there is a traditional fight". I'd already seen the 2nd episode when I made that post. We assumed she'd have recovered in 3 years time, but well that was not normal poison. It was confirmed by somebody working on the show on their tumblr page that the script labeled the poison as mercury. Mercury poisoning is just well...awful. The trailer seemed to hint at this as well. There were quite a few sneak peaks of Korra travelling, struggling to fight, and of course her old "Avatar State when she fought Zaheer self" haunting her, not that the last thing was obvious without the context.

Hopefully, they'll make the most of the possibilities. I have mixed faith in the creators honestly due to their tendency to political strawman, adoration of terrible love triangles, strange belief in how the writing process works (I've read episode commentary and some of the detailed description of the writing process for Book 2 and let's just say as someone who used to want to be a writer, it's bizarre), things like that. They're like the George Lucas of animation: They're good visionaries and world builders, but they're only good in the writing department when they're reeled in by their coworkers and working in a team rather than controlling the whole process. This shows in the old series; every fan favorite episode was written by someone else. I have cautious optimism with this final Book though. It's good so far and we got Toph back!