Legend of Zelda Wii U E3 Footage Was In-Game, Nintendo Says

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Legend of Zelda Wii U E3 Footage Was In-Game, Nintendo Says

<youtube=VcYXX4TUK4I>​
Nintendo says the E3 reveal of Legend of Zelda on Wii U was gameplay footage.

Legend of Zelda fans screamed at the reveal for the next series title coming to Wii U next year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/e32014/11635-Zelda-Wii-U-is-Open-World-Coming-2015], as revealed during E3 last week. The reveal trailer shows Link riding horseback, avoiding magical attacks and firing off arrows at a large enemy.

After receiving many questions about whether the footage is shown is from actual gameplay rather than pre-rendered footage, Legend of Zelda producer Eiji Aonuma took to Miiverse to confirm the gameplay's authenticity.

"Many people from the media kept asking me if the footage from the new Zelda game for Wii U is just a promotional movie, but that really is actual gameplay on Wii U," Aonuma wrote. "Also, I wasn't kidding about how you will be able to reach the mountains that appear in the distance if you should choose to!"

I'm unsure whether that means all of the footage was from gameplay or if only some of it was. As far as the mountains go, this Legend of Zelda title feels like it will be heavy on exploration at your own pace

This Zelda title will release sometime next year and will be much more open world than previous titles in the series. The game looks gorgeous, and this feels like a Zelda game fans have been demanding for years.

Source: Miiverse [https://miiverse.nintendo.net/replies/AYMHAAACAADMUKlyaFeo7g]

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Did Nintendo feel compelled to point this out or was there some sort of E3 backlash? Because it seemed obvious to me that the Zelda footage was in-game. In fact, of the little E3 footage I saw, I thought the majority of actual gameplay footage was done primarily by Nintendo.

*Thinking back I guess there was Dragon Age as well.

coolbond

Mar 1, 2011
as far as i know nintendo has never really bullshited before when it comes to trailers so im not surprised at this turn of events

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
The Zelda tech demo from a few years back, yes I would have called out as fabricated and fake. But this felt real from the get go. It's... kinda obvious it's created with an in game engine though. You can still see that not all the curves are perfectly smooth. And the lighting isn't precise either. It does however look beautiful, and I'm tempted to pick it up. I just hope it doesn't turn out like Skyward Sword. I really wanted to like that game, but I couldn't.

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
dragongit said:
The Zelda tech demo from a few years back, yes I would have called out as fabricated and fake. But this felt real from the get go. It's... kinda obvious it's created with an in game engine though. You can still see that not all the curves are perfectly smooth. And the lighting isn't precise either. It does however look beautiful, and I'm tempted to pick it up.
It makes me wonder if this early look is this good how much more polished will the final product be?

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Nintendo had awesome e3 overall, it was when this trailer showed up I decided to go buy a Wii U.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
V4Viewtiful said:
dragongit said:
The Zelda tech demo from a few years back, yes I would have called out as fabricated and fake. But this felt real from the get go. It's... kinda obvious it's created with an in game engine though. You can still see that not all the curves are perfectly smooth. And the lighting isn't precise either. It does however look beautiful, and I'm tempted to pick it up.
It makes me wonder if this early look is this good how much more polished will the final product be?
Unfortunately in this day and age, it could be a step back by the final product. I know Nintendo can be different, but they have done it as well. And all too often do we see promises that are later retracted because the hardware couldn't handle the product as a whole. I've been jaded by Watchdogs to hope that future games aren't going to be a lesser version of their preview. I'm sure if I had been a Dark Souls fan earlier (as opposed to only just recently getting into it) I would have learned that lesson through Dark Souls 2's preview compared to what they actually gave the customers.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Seeing as you there's aliasing, some low-res textures and the draw distance isn't anything to write home about I knew this was in-game from the start. I really don't expect Nintendo to drop the graphical quality that much, they're not Ubisoft and they're not From Software so they're trustworthy.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
dragongit said:
The Zelda tech demo from a few years back, yes I would have called out as fabricated and fake. But this felt real from the get go. It's... kinda obvious it's created with an in game engine though. You can still see that not all the curves are perfectly smooth. And the lighting isn't precise either. It does however look beautiful, and I'm tempted to pick it up. I just hope it doesn't turn out like Skyward Sword. I really wanted to like that game, but I couldn't.
yeah, because that thing from years ago was a tech demo. i'm not sure if that was even referred to as a game.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
if Nintendo says it's real, IT'S REAL. There's really no point to doing that because people are going to find out anyway. Might as well cut out the middle man and be honest

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh. I assumed everyone assumed it was in game. Was this really not the case?
It's not the Nintendone thing. Bahaha! oh that was really bad. Sorry! :(

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
BAD ESCAPIST!

BAD!

They didn't say in-game, but in-engine.

Nobody would try to pull that bullshit. You shameless click baiters.

Blaze the Dragon

Jan 8, 2010
Yeah, can we get a quick update with this? According to other sources, Nintendo clearly said this wasn't gameplay footage, but just a rendering done using the in-game engine. it's indicative of what the game will look like, and possible even what the map and whatnot is like, but not what the actual gameplay will be.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I have no doubt it will be similar. It still looks fugly to me with it's sterile feel, and the effects seem like a shiny blurry mess. Also Link is very lucky the machine didn't follow him onto the pier, lol.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
I doubt any of it, other than the very first scene with Link and the horse chilling in the field, was gameplay.

I could buy it being done using the in-game engine and the game actually looking like that, but there's no way it was gameplay. It was too cinematic.

Gerishnakov

Jun 15, 2010
I'm guessing that it was in-game when Link was just stood there, but once the creature attacked it went into a cinematic. It was still in-engine though, even if it was just a cinematic.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Frezzato said:
Did Nintendo feel compelled to point this out or was there some sort of E3 backlash? Because it seemed obvious to me that the Zelda footage was in-game. In fact, of the little E3 footage I saw, I thought the majority of actual gameplay footage was done primarily by Nintendo.

*Thinking back I guess there was Dragon Age as well.
There wasn't any backlash towards Nintendo in terms of graphics. However there has been a lot of rage recently about games shown at E3 that were supposedly "in game" footage, but when it came to show it was all just steroid pumped high end PC graphics that the consoles could never achieve without issues.

I also guess that quite a few people thought it was some sort of cut scene so they had to clarify.