Lego Mindstorms Robot Adequately Plays Tetris

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Only at level one, but that is the first step! Soon, it will do it better than any human ever could!

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
Is the ability to play Tetris the beginning of the robot apocalypse?
hmm what about... the ROBOCALYPSE

thats actually pretty cool but haven't they already developed programs which can do infinitely better

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Zenode said:
Tom Goldman said:
Is the ability to play Tetris the beginning of the robot apocalypse?
hmm what about... the ROBOCALYPSE

thats actually pretty cool but haven't they already developed programs which can do infinitely better
Programs, not robots. This thing isn't connected to the computer, all this is done through the robot "seeing" it. It's quite impressive.

thepopeofatheism

Jul 14, 2008
BlackDodongo said:
Lets see him play this: http://firstpersontetris.com/
Damn, I thought that was going to be that Tetris I played that was first-person... from the perspective of the Tetris pieces

Anyway, I'm finding it very interesting that it seems about every week or so robots are doing more and more things. This is exciting to me. I can't wait to see what the next ten years bring.

Captain Lag

Jun 29, 2009
Hello I am from the future. I have come back in time to advise you to destroy this piece of technology.

Mray3460

Jul 27, 2008
RikSharp said:
nice, but the idea of robots having any sort of artificial intelligence or decision making capability is only going to lead to problems in future.

AI cleaning robot "I clean mess up every day. Would be more efficient to stop source of mess."
AI cleaning robot kills human.
AI cleaning robot cleans up mess.
AI cleaning robot rests.
What you have here is a case of stupidy on the part of the programmer (I've said before, the machines won't kill us unless we A. Treat them as second class citizens and, thereby, abuse them or B. Program them in a way that will inevitably cause them to destroy us [As in the above])

Rather than programming them to clean up the mess, give them the programming:
AI cleaning robot is programmed with "I must have a purpose."
AI cleaning robot is programmed with "Cleaning up after humans is my purpose."
AI cleaning robot computes "Without humans, there would be nothing to clean up after, leaving me without purpose."
AI cleaning robot computes "In order to protect my purpose, I must protect humans at all costs"
AI cleaning robot computes "In order to protect humans, humans must be protected from themselves"

Wait...I think I just defeated my own argument...

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
That's awesome!

A lot of people already nagged on about it's difficulty and the fact that robots take over the world, but please, people, keep in mind that this is a robot made of LEGO!

It's awesome in it's simplicity, and the fact that a toy plays a game is a great paradox!

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
BlackDodongo said:
Lets see him play this: http://firstpersontetris.com/
wow, thats pretty cool, but its still kinda easy.... for our human brains, im not sure how a robot would cope