Lessons You "Learned The Hard Way"

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
We've all been there...doing something which at the time seems like a good idea but you quickly learn just how bad an idea it was all along, so bad in fact that it actually turns out to be detrimental to us.

Take me, for example, last night I learned the hard way as to why you should never try to eat week-old pizza...>.> I'll spare you the details, suffice to say that at 3:30 in the morning I had to sprint to the bathroom lest there was a rather messy explosion...

:p So, disgusting example aside, what are some of the lessons YOU, my fellow Escapists, have had to learn the hard way?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Don't let people you don't know very well borrow your stuff, you are never getting back. I've lost clothes, books, DVDs and games because of it. I never seem to get the message.
One person took my FFXIII and IX for over a year until I randomly bumped into them one day and threw a ***** fit until they agreed to give them back. Scratched to shit.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Standing up for yourself. All I can say that when I was little I was very naive which people take advantage of, mainly getting me to say silly words (I had a squeaky voice back then).
Once I mature and realise the truth and I stood up for myself (I had enough of their shit) and they stop it.

Logiclul

Sep 18, 2011
Accept your own fallibility. For quite some time, everything in my life had gone great, I had the best luck, and everything fell just where I needed it to, even when I couldn't control it. Then I started to lose some of those games, and realized that I needed to accept my own fallibility (and that everyone else is fallible of course). Once I did that I was able to percieve another level of life which has granted me much more success.

Commonly Confused

Jan 30, 2012
You have to actually learn from whatever mistakes you made. Just acknowledging them is not going to make you choose the better decision the next time you are faced with a problem.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
nothing is actually learned until it's learned the hard way

or maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment.

you can learn about a lesson, but you probably will never be able to think about the lesson and actually learn its meaning until you see it in action. To do otherwise leads to small mindedness. The lesson of "you will go to hell if you're bad" for instance. If you take a lesson based on faith, you'll just not have a good view on the situation.

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Don't ever borrow money to friends.
Lost a friend since 8 years because I assume he didn't want to pay back the 500 SEK(like £50) he owed me.

At least he forgot stuff at my place worth more than that. HAH!

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
DanielBrown said:
Don't ever borrow money to friends.
Lost a friend since 8 years because I assume he didn't want to pay back the 500 SEK(like £50) he owed me.

At least he forgot stuff at my place worth more than that. HAH!
My philosophy is similar to this one but a bit different:

Do not borrower money and expect to get it back. If you want to borrower the person the cash, go right ahead but assume right away that you are not getting it back. If you're alright with that, go with it.

As for my own "Learned it the hard way":

Pay attention to what college you are going to and if it's going to be good for your career. RESEARCH THIS!!! Seriously, for God's sake, don't assume that your counselor's and college professors have what's best for you in mind (they may but that doesn't mean they're right). I have a $80,000 piece of paper to show for my college tuition...

George Barrow

Sep 5, 2011
Never go in a football cage with 15 dudes that dislike you, while they are playing a game, that if the ball hits you, they beat the crap out of you.

Suffice to say, I may have lost some cred for crying in the playground in front of everyone, but all the girls suddenly came to my aid in the form of various hugs.

Morale of the story is 'If you want bitches, let them flock to you.'

Raningwind

Feb 8, 2011
Dont try to act a computor expert becuse you can handle Software, Lost about 200£ on repairs on the motherboard.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
TIMESWORDSMAN said:
Don't throw Pop-Its at cars.
...this sounds like a fun story.

Can we implement a new rule in this thread OP? If your statement is somewhat weird, you are required to tell your story?

doomspore98

May 24, 2011
If you are mountain biking on a dangerous trail. Never day dream or stop paying attention. I have run into to many trees to not pay attention any more. Also, if you are getting a ride home from someone, never let their daughter drive the car.

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
If there's a melodramatic option, and a quiet and normal option, the second option is always the better. It might sound less fun, but it will be less painful in the end.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
George Barrow said:
Never go in a football cage with 15 dudes that dislike you, while they are playing a game, that if the ball hits you, they beat the crap out of you.

Suffice to say, I may have lost some cred for crying in the playground in front of everyone, but all the girls suddenly came to my aid in the form of various hugs.

Morale of the story is 'If you want bitches, let them flock to you.'
gave that ***** a show of sympathy, bitches love shows of sympathy.

Seriously though don't show your parents how you are when drunk because you want to prove you don't do anything stupid when drunk