Let him be in peace already damnit!

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
SO I was listening to the Radio the other day in the car and after playing 10 song by The Doors, the announcer comes on and gets all nostalgic, saying that he sincerely misses Jim Morrison and that he was a wonderful musician and that he hopes they comes out with a tribute package in order to give a full taste of his musical prowess.

Now I'm going to set the fact that I personally do not like the music of The Doors. I personally don't like the vocals. I'm also setting aside the very OBVIOUS marketing that I heard in the tone of the radio host. I digress.

Have you ever heard of an artist that has been long, or recently dead, and just wished that for five seconds people would let them rest in peace?

For example: When Heath Ledger passed away, sure there was a large fuss due to an iconic image leaving us, but for the longest time afterwards merchandise, movie packages, and everything that could be tied to Heath's name was being marketted and sold. The dude just passed away, why must they market his death?

What are your thoughts and opinions? Are there any artists that you think should just be allowed to rest and not be marketed about?

Lord Trilby

Apr 15, 2009
Kurt Cobain has actually made more money since he died then when he was alive so I see your point, but it's just tragic when an amazing artist passes.

Nothankyou

Oct 26, 2009
Michael Jackson? His family loved the publicity, and used it to their advantage to get money for themselves. It was disgusting.

The Hairminator

How about no?
Mar 17, 2009
About Jim Morrison, yes I do think he is worthy of all the praise anyone could give him. The Doors were that awesome, in my opinion. However, he's been dead for 39 years, so I don't see what the big fucking deal is.

Back on topic; anyone noticed how no one cared for Michael Jackson until he died, then suddenly he became the indisputable KING OF POP, and his musical genious was the greatest the world had seen etc.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
With reference to your Jim Morrison example, I think its ok to talk about how much you miss such a talented and iconic musician... Although I agree that a celebrities death should not be marketed, Jim Morrison does deserve some kind of big package of his best stuff... The Doors Greatest Hits I own is good but there is so many good songs missing from it... And they keep releasing that same album with a new cover. Next year is his 40th annaversary, maybe something good will come then.

But yeah, nobody should use someones death for money... I surprised I havn't been bombarded will Dio merchandise since his death. But in a way its sad, its as though everyone has just forgot about him.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
Spacefly said:
With reference to your Jim Morrison example, I think its ok to talk about how much you miss such a talented and iconic musician... Although I agree that a celebrities death should not be marketed, Jim Morrison does deserve some kind of big package of his best stuff... The Doors Greatest Hits I own is good but there is so many good songs missing from it... And they keep releasing that same album with a new cover. Next year is his 40th annaversary, maybe something good will come then.

But yeah, nobody should use someones death for money... I surprised I havn't been bombarded will Dio merchandise since his death. But in a way its sad, its as though everyone has just forgot about him.
Didn't Joey DeMaio from Manowar release a tribute album? There was some minor controversy over that because apparently Dio's wife said that the profits weren't going to the charities Dio supported. Or something like that. Don't quote me on it.

Anyhow I'm really sick of all the MIchael Jackson stuff, hopefully it'll die down and the poor guy can just rest in goddamn peace, but that's not likely since he's making so much right now.

nelsonr100

Apr 15, 2009
What about Vincent Van Gogh.... his art wasn't appreciated until after he died, whos to say that won't happen in modern times (to an extent kurt cobain as nirvana really exploded when he died). People could miss out on the defining cultural find of our lifetime if everyone who died was allowed to rest in peace.

Why should they mind anyway? Its not like it will depress them

PayNSprayBandit

Dec 27, 2008
The Hairminator said:
Back on topic; anyone noticed how no one cared for Michael Jackson until he died, then suddenly he became the indisputable KING OF POP, and his musical genius was the greatest the world had seen etc.
I'm assuming you're under 20. See he was once that guy when he was alive, it was just back in the 80's. But yes all the crazy stuff people thought of when they thought of him suddenly disappeared when he died. People try to remember the dead in the best light they can.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
The Hairminator said:
Back on topic; anyone noticed how no one cared for Michael Jackson until he died, then suddenly he became the indisputable KING OF POP, and his musical genious was the greatest the world had seen etc.
i agree so much you can't even begin to understand
everyone was making pedophile jokes about him liking young boys and once he kicked the bucket everyone changed their tune. like WTF?
he was an alright singer and I like Billie jean but i am not going to idolize him as being the king of pop or something so grand when he was just making music.

The Last Nomad

Lost in Ethiopia
Oct 28, 2009
Betancore said:
Spacefly said:
I'm surprised I havn't been bombarded will Dio merchandise since his death. But in a way its sad, its as though everyone has just forgot about him.
Didn't Joey DeMaio from Manowar release a tribute album? There was some minor controversy over that because apparently Dio's wife said that the profits weren't going to the charities Dio supported. Or something like that. Don't quote me on it.

Anyhow I'm really sick of all the MIchael Jackson stuff, hopefully it'll die down and the poor guy can just rest in goddamn peace, but that's not likely since he's making so much right now.
I didn't hear anything bout that tribute album, but you may well be right. I haven't seen much myself but I'm sure there was alot of people paying tribute to him in other ways... But nothing to the scale of Micheal Jackson, e.g that movie, This Is It
EDIT: Not that I expected a Dio movie or anything, but some Dio tribute acts in the local venue would have been appreciated.

MikailCaboose

Jun 16, 2009
Cassassin said:
Michael Jackson? His family loved the publicity, and used it to their advantage to get money for themselves. It was disgusting.
Especially considering that he despised his family.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
Since the dawn of time the value of an artists' art skyrockets once they die. So getting marketed is kinda what they expect once they die.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
Personally I don't mind musician's, actor's etc work being dragged back up occasionally (provided it is good work but that's open to opinion). I like hearing some Hendrix or Ledger being bought up occasionally to remember fondly. It is more a credit to their work. The entertainment version of a war memorial day really. It pisses me off when people bring up old jokes and bits of slander and resume trying to grind the artists reputation into the dirt even when they are long gone and deserve to catch a break.

Spacefly said:
I'm surprised I havn't been bombarded with Dio merchandise since his death. But in a way it's sad, it's as though everyone has just forgot about him.
Yeah that is who I thought of when I first read the thread. I too am sad that he just sought of faded away to all but the big fans. At least he was given some due credit in A Headbanger's Journey.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
I'm not saying that the marketing part of it is a good thing, though, it is almost inherent when things like this happen. But still, if an artist was good, why not still give him or her the credit? Yes they are dead, but that doesn't mean that people can try to say: hey, this was good, might take a look at the work of the artist. Why not?

Berserker119

Dec 31, 2009
I think if I was family of a dead whatever, I'd want people to leave it alone, yes, but where does all the money go after they die. Family? If so, then whoo I can do whatever I want. And the marketing can't hurt them in any way. They're dead.

andeve3

Jul 14, 2010
Michael Jacksons death really disturbed me, the way the media would not stop talking about it, and the huge quantity of merchandise that incidentally came out afterwards. It was impossible not to be disgusted at the huge amounts of money that was being milked out of what would otherwise, at least to me, be just another celebrity ceasing to exist.