Let's Embrace Our Inner Hipster!

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
As the title indicates, I'm here to ask you all the most hipster question in the world: What are some unpopular / obscure things that you like or popular things that you hate? It can be anything from restaurants, movies, games, sports, food, fashion - you name it. Just remember to follow forum rules and not openly insult each other. LET'S ROCK!

For me, I despise the surprisingly-popular Regular Show. Adventure Time I get (and have even started watching lately), and MLP should be obvious given my avatar. Regular Show, however, is the epitome of everything I hate about television and cartoons in particular. Obnoxious, self-centered, cruel, and all-around unlikable teenage douchebags as the main characters; hyper-predictable plotlines that always start off mundane as all fuck and end with either a giant monster, cosmic entity, or world-ending cataclysm that often serves to teach the characters an immediately-forgotten lesson; a boring art style that's made to look intentionally cheap and crappy (the same thing turned me off of Adventure Time for quite awhile); and a sense of humor that seems to be based entirely on how obnoxiously annoying, mean-spirited, or "random" the characters can be. Long story short, I put this show in the same category as Johnny Test and Disney-esque teen sitcoms. Yeah, I hate it that much.

On the other end of the spectrum, Turok 2 for the N64 is possibly my favorite game of all time. While the aiming and especially the framerate were crap thanks the the limits of that console (the non-Goldeneye control scheme I actually liked, but the N64's thumbstick is still unusually bad), it still set the standard for FPS games for me even to this date. Great aesthetic and color palette that holds up unusually well for a N64 game, fantastic weapon design that remains some of the best in gaming history, surprisingly smart AI for the time (enemies would actively take cover behind boxes, would roll out of the way of attacks, and ran for their lives if you even aimed a particularly strong gun such as the Cerebral Bore at them), and a gore/dismemberment system that puts many modern-day games to shame (one could literally blow a hole straight through some enemies or leave an enemy flailing on the ground without the entire left side of their body bar the exposed ribcage). Last but certainly not least, the soundtrack is nothing short of phenomenal, especially for a N64 game. Admittedly cryptic as fuck, most notably in the fourth level "The Lair of the Blind Ones", but otherwise an absolutely fantastic game that few seem to remember.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I like all three of the Star Wars prequels and think they're at-least as good as the original trilogy, if not better. The originals have somewhat more iconic characters and a tighter narrative, but the prequels have much more intricate lightsaber fights and take a step up in world-building. I also appreciate their efforts make a more complex plot, even if it didn't work out perfectly. Hell, I even like the characters people find annoying like young Anakin and Jar Jar Binks, they're all pretty entertaining ultimately.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I'm a huge fan of the comic book series Powers. It's a cop show, except it's a comic and it's got superheroes in it. Also, I really like grim 'n' gritty comic books from the nineties.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
JoJo said:
*deep breath*

No.

OT: I absolutely LOVE the classic Game Boy game Lock 'n' Chase. Never heard of it? ;)

It was Data East's rip off response to Pac Man and I actually like it better. Instead of ghosts and a round blob, you're a thief going through a bank evading police. The levels are interesting, the game has lots of replay value and it even has a surprise for those who beat the rather difficult final level.
[sub][sub][sub]I love you Deathunter but sometimes we aren't on the same side of things. =P[/sub][/sub][/sub]

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
I have legitimately uttered the dreaded "you've probably never heard of them" when asked about my favourite band so many times. They're very well-known within the metal scene, but completely unheard of in the general population. Blind Guardian - German (but sing in English) power metal band who mostly write songs about sci fi/fantasy/mythology and especially Tolkien, if anyone's interested. Yeah, I sound pretentious saying that, but they're awesome and I love them so shut up.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
JoJo said:

Wow, these subtitles really suck.

Okay, fine. Liam Neeson was good...I guess...and his hair wasn't as stupid.

OT: I don't really know if I'm a hipster, to be honest; the definition keeps expanding and shifting. Can I like 007 Goldeneye on the N64 more than most shooters I've played in the last few years? I just wanna do that.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Best album of 2013 was BLΛNK BΛNSΗΣΣ's 1.

<youtube=dm0718TRRQA>

Diverging opinions signifies immense plebs.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
I thought a lot of people didn't like Regular Show... at least I hoped... I mean I sure don't like it...It' really boring.

I know One Piece is insanely popular in Japan but not a lot of people on the western side seem to like it, but I really do, like it. I mean really do. I mean, I've spent hundreds on buying a lot (not all) but a lot of the volumes, of which there are currently 70 over here.

Also, I like the DC Universe much more than the Marvel universe (they got really good cartoons.) Whenever I say that IRL people always make fun of me because aside from Batman there's like no good movies man.

Speaking of DC cartoons, I really like the new spin-off Teen Titans Go, a show that has incurred much wrath from the fans of the original series. I'll admit that it's pretty hit or miss, and I miss the old Teen Titans as much as the next guy, but I find it to be genuinely funny most of the time.

I hate most mainstream music though.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Eamar said:
I have legitimately uttered the dreaded "you've probably never heard of them" when asked about my favourite band so many times. They're very well-known within the metal scene, but completely unheard of in the general population. Blind Guardian - German (but sing in English) power metal band who mostly write songs about sci fi/fantasy/mythology and especially Tolkien, if anyone's interested. Yeah, I sound pretentious saying that, but they're awesome and I love them so shut up.
Really. I thought they were pretty well-known. They're one of the first metal acts of any non-hair stripe I see come from someone's lips.

OT: I don't even listen to the radio or watch cable. I find music on my own, so I get called a hipster frequently. It's less about being counter-culture and more about me not caring. I adore Queen, which I would not particularly call a hipster deal. I enjoy a lot of mainstream music, it's just that it tends to be dated. In fact, I do appreciate music more when I can divorce it from the hype. But that doesn't make the hype bad.

On the other hand, some of my favourite bands and songs aren't on YouTube, they're so obscure.

*adjusts thick glasses*

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Zachary Amaranth said:
Really. I thought they were pretty well-known. They're one of the first metal acts of any non-hair stripe I see come from someone's lips.
I can only speak for the UK, but yeah. Over here they are completely unknown. Hell, they're not even big in the metal scene here - I was at their last gig in London, their only UK tour date in years, and it definitely wasn't a big event (fantastic though, of course).

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I like a lot of things you've probably never heard of, but that's because I'm in Argentina. That doesn't make me a hipster, it makes me foreign.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
V da Mighty Taco said:
For me, I despise the surprisingly-popular Regular Show. Adventure Time I get (and have even started watching lately), and MLP should be obvious given my avatar. Regular Show, however, is the epitome of everything I hate about television and cartoons in particular. Obnoxious, self-centered, cruel, and all-around unlikable teenage douchebags as the main characters;
Are they teenagers? I was under the impression that the principle cast was in their mid 20's or so, given their occupation and behaviors... can't deny that they're obnoxious and self-centered, though, although it doesn't wreck the show for me.

LobsterFeng said:
I know One Piece is insanely popular in Japan but not a lot of people on the western side seem to like it, but I really do, like it. I mean really do. I mean, I've spent hundreds on buying a lot (not all) but a lot of the volumes, of which there are currently 70 over here.
Well, in the west there are a lot of factors that impact One Piece's popularity. Honestly, I think the biggest is probably hype backlash. New fans fall into anime fandom thanks the the popularity of western flagship titles like Bleach or Naruto, and One Piece fans tend to be a lot like PC gamers are here when it comes to console gamers: they go into conversations that have nothing to do with One Piece, and go on and on about how great One Piece is, and how lousy the taste of anyone who disagrees is. This either turns people off of even trying One Piece, or sets their expectations unrealistically high, and results in their disappointment when they do watch it.

that's on top of the usual factors that would make it a tough sell in America, such as pirate shows historically being hard to market, the juvenile humor, the atrocious 4kids adaption, and the idiosyncratic art style. It's starting to find its niche here, but it'll never top Bleach or Naruto in America, let alone achieve the popularity it has in Japan.

Oh, right. I forgot to let my inner hipster out. *ahem*

-I adore JRPGs, even if they're turn based.

-I prefer all my anime dubbed, and consider the majority of arguments against dubs to be biased and more than a li'l pedantic

-the hype around Kill la Kill has left me with no interest in watching it, and I let myself be swayed by these emotions, even after they resulted in my waiting YEARS to watch Madoka Magica, which I loved when I did watch it.

-I'm a fan of Floyd Mayweather, though admittedly in the weight class I'm equally fond of Pac-man, Mosley, and Bradley.

- I'm so hipster, I'm unfond of sarcasm!

...I'll see myself out.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I hate to let my hipster flag fly, but for the sake of the thread, here goes!

I thought Zelda: Majora's Mask was amazing BEFORE it was cool to do so. I am glad it gets so much love these days, but I can't help but get annoyed by the endless praise by people who ignored/disliked it for so long. I suppose it's not that bad, especially if all this new love for the game ensures a remake on 3DS. Still waiting on that Nintendo!

I think the 5th generation of Pokemon are the best despite being a punching bag for a lot of fans. Though I've seen the hate for gen 5 Pokemon disappear more and more suggesting people actually played the 5th gen games, or realized there are a lot of awesome Pokemon in the generation that aren't ice cream and trash bags.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
I think Jaffa Cakes are overrated. They taste boring. The cheap off-brand Soft Cake is a much more fruity, interesting choice.
YEAH I SAID IT

I don't like romances in Bioware RPG's. Yup. That's me. I think they're incredibly unrealistic wish fullfillment, even the earlier ones. I also don't think KOTOR 1 has a good story. I think KOTOR 2 is much, much superior even without the missing content restored.

Oh, and Morrowind is WAY overrated and everyone who screams about ANY change in an Elder Scrolls game is an idiot, because each ES game has been so incredibly different from each other game in the series that saying that anything "breaks tradition" is simply stupid.

Also, The Mask is a horrible movie and I can hardly watch it, just like most comedy that Jim Carrey does. I think he should stick to more dramatic stuff, because whenever I see him do his "OH I'M SO WACKY I'M GONNA MAKE RANDOM NOISES AND FORCED GESTURES TO RECAPTURE THE SPIRIT OF ACE VENTURA" schtick I have to look away from the screen to not feel annoyed.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
A lot of my friends and people I hang out with think that anime does drama or romantic comedy really well, but other than a few gems, I find that it's outright terrible at it. They inject character death right and left, without bothering to make you care about them first. They overuse dramatic pauses to the point where I'm screaming for something to happen already. And the number of romantic comedies I've seen that feature No Real People That Ever Existed is ludicrously high.

Maybe it's just a difference of culture, but I don't "get" most of it.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Eamar said:
Don't worry about it, sista'. Gushing about or condemning things that might make us seem pretentious is what this thread is for, after all! XD

Zachary Amaranth said:
Eamar said:

OT: I don't even listen to the radio or watch cable. I find music on my own, so I get called a hipster frequently. It's less about being counter-culture and more about me not caring. I adore Queen, which I would not particularly call a hipster deal. I enjoy a lot of mainstream music, it's just that it tends to be dated. In fact, I do appreciate music more when I can divorce it from the hype. But that doesn't make the hype bad.

On the other hand, some of my favourite bands and songs aren't on YouTube, they're so obscure.

*adjusts thick glasses*
Blind Guardian might be well known among the metal scene, but most of the general public or even just casual listeners of metal will most likely have never heard of them, especially in the U.S. You'd be surprised how few people even know of Rammstein in this country, and I'd guess that they're probably the most well known foreign metal group in this country.

I also don't really listen to the radio or watch TV these days and for similar reasons, simply because just about everything but Eminem (yes, I like rap) is straight-up terrible. It's actually quite fascinating how much better small-timers on Youtube can be than just about anything that actually does get on the radio.

Barbas said:
OT: I don't really know if I'm a hipster, to be honest; the definition keeps expanding and shifting. Can I like 007 Goldeneye on the N64 more than most shooters I've played in the last few years? I just wanna do that.
We don't like yer kind 'round these parts. You and yer liking of highly acclaimed (do stereotypical hillbillies know that word?) games can get right on outta here. >:p

(obviously, please don't take me seriously)

LobsterFeng said:
I thought a lot of people didn't like Regular Show... at least I hoped... I mean I sure don't like it...It' really boring.
You'd be surprised at how many animation fans seem to really like this show. Seems like it even has as large of a fanbase as Adventure Time, and I just don't get it. *shoulder shrug*

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
Eamar said:
Blind Guardian's a great band, and they've been around for ages! Your friends probably just don't like metal :p

OT: In a similar vein, some of my favourite bands right now are Woccon, a melo-doom/death band (facebook page has 1176 likes), Black Crown Initiate, a prog-death band (11475 likes) and Kvelertak, a hardcore/hard rock/black metal band (110k likes). The only band people have heard of that I've talked to at shows are Kvelertak because both albums were really well received and Black Crown Initiate is just now gaining notoriety because of the Metal Alliance Tour with Behemoth. Even then, these are people really ingrained in metal culture and I'd be surprised if they had at least never heard of them.

On the other hand, I can't stand pop, rap/hip-hop, r n' b, EDM, country, etc., almost everything that's considered pop music. Yup, I'm one of those guys. I don't go around telling everyone that they're wrong for listening to top 40 stuff, but I might will say, "Try this stuff, you might like it" and recommend an indie rock group like Toyko Police Club, Mother Mother or Airbourne Toxic Event. To me, there's no reason to listen only to top 40 stuff when there's a world of music, usually literally at your fingertips.

All this is because music is hugely important to me. I play multiple instruments well, I have taught people music (if only to be reprimanded by some teachers for focusing on scales *grrr*). But do you want the best example of hipsterism?

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
balladbird said:
Are they teenagers? I was under the impression that the principle cast was in their mid 20's or so, given their occupation and behaviors... can't deny that they're obnoxious and self-centered, though, although it doesn't wreck the show for me.
Whether or not they are, they certainly act like stereotypical SFW teenagers, which is enough to irritate me to no end.

*Snip*

Oh, right. I forgot to let my inner hipster out. *ahem*

-I adore JRPGs, even if they're turn based.

-I prefer all my anime dubbed, and consider the majority of arguments against dubs to be biased and more than a li'l pedantic

-the hype around Kill la Kill has left me with no interest in watching it, and I let myself be swayed by these emotions, even after they resulted in my waiting YEARS to watch Madoka Magica, which I loved when I did watch it.

-I'm a fan of Floyd Mayweather, though admittedly in the weight class I'm equally fond of Pac-man, Mosley, and Bradley.

- I'm so hipster, I'm unfond of sarcasm!

...I'll see myself out.
I'm quite a hybrid when it comes to dubs, preferring some shows in English and some in Japanese. DBZ I find to be far too squeaky in Japanese, and I couldn't imagine Hellsing Ultimate (the TV series doesn't exist :mad: ) or Black Lagoon in anything but English. On the other hand, Gurren Lagann and Higurashi sound straight up terrible dubbed, especially when compared to their Japanese counterparts. I also recall Rurouni Kenshin sounding silly in both languages, though it has been a long time. Overall though, I'm very open to both sub and dub.

As for Kill La Kill, I found it way overrated. It's not necessarily bad, but it is quite possibly the stupidest show I've ever seen. Not the "no though was put into this" kind of stupid either (there was clearly a lot of effort put into the show), but the "every thought they did have was a calculated thought from an insane person" kind of way. It's meant to be a parody of shonen anime (which it certainly is), but doesn't seem to realize that filling your show with shonen cliches doesn't stop them from being cliches and it doesn't really do enough to commentate on shonen anime to make the parody work as well as it should. It also does not capture the massive scale or the spirit of being over-the-top awesome like Gurren Lagann, feeling far more lackluter incomparison. Overall, if anime cliches bother you or if you hated Gurren Lagann, stay far away from KLK.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Oh yeah, Blank Banshee is good shit, got into it with Blank Banshee 0, a while ago, when that whole Seapunk and Vaporwave thing was a thing and he Blank Banshee somehow got mislabeled...<.<

Still my favorite of 2013, totally underrated... or maybe I'm just that much of a sucker for african rhythms and instruments...<.<

OT: yeah, my favorite albums as of late, in no particular order and I can't find the whole albums of a lot of them...

War Penguin

Serious Whimsy
Jun 13, 2009
So I'm gonna be that guy: you know that liking things that are obscure/disliking anything popular makes you a hipster, right? It's more of a cultural movement involving the urban youth with vintage/thrift store styles, independent music, organic diets, and very leftist political viewpoints.

That being said, this thread is still made for me. xD

WARNING: the following is subjective. If you have a problem with differing opinions, then you may have a problem. Consult your doctor. Now let's get to cracking:

-In the Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel is one of the greatest lo-fi indie rock albums of all time.

-Fallout New Vegas is NOT better than Fallout 3. It is riddled with poor game and level design that cripples most of the enjoyment in the game that it really makes me wonder why people love it so much.

-Underground Hip Hop artists like Aesop Rock, Sage Francis, and MF Doom are much more skilled and talented than mainstream Hip Hop artists like Drake, Lil Wayne, and Kanye West. This isn't something that's subjective, it's just true. :p

-I loved Skyrim over Oblivion [small](that having been said, still haven't tried Morrowind yet)[/small].

-Ever heard of Larry and His Flask? No? Then you're missing out on some of the greatest bluegrass punk you will ever hear in your life!

-I thought The Avengers was incredibly boring. The action was dull and unsatisfying and the only people I enjoyed watching was Robert Downey Jr and Tom Hiddleston.

-But I thought the first Thor movie was fantastic, albeit rather campy in many instances.

-I wear a flat cap.

There's probably more, but whatever. You probably wouldn't have heard about half the stuff I was talking about anyway.