Let's Roleplay: Be Nintendo's President for a day

scapefly

Nov 2, 2013
I think they need to go back to their roots - more classic Mario stuff - good classic game play with a modern twist!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
wombat_of_war said:
going casual
Isn't that essentially what they were trying for again with the Wii-U with the gamepad and trying to capitilize on the 'Wii' brand, only to find out that market had shifted its focus to phones and tablets? The Wii already burned itself out rather quickly. It was a great money maker for Nintendo while it lasted, but it dried up within a few years.

I don't think that same trick is going to work again.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Make a free GamePad app for iOS and Android so people can use their existing tablets to play on. Work towards abandoning the GamePad altogether except as a cheaper alternative to a tablet for those who don't have a tablet/phone to play on. As with the GamePad, allow mobile users to take their WiiU games and play them on their tablets instead of the TV if they choose.

Re-release the 2DS with a clamshell design (making it essentially a next-gen DSi)

Make a top-notch new Banjo Kazooie game. Stop relying so exclusively on Mario and his friends to bail you out of trouble.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Start up some Western First Party studios.

One of the big issues with Nintendo is that they're too focused on the Japanese market, and are pretty much ignoring the West. The Japanese home console market is dying and the handheld market is moving increasingly to smartphones, it makes little sense to focus so little on a market where home consoles are still popular.

I'm not saying Nintendo should stop caring about Japan, but they should open some First Party studios in the West to make more Western-orientated games. The only Western First Party they have is Retro and they've got them working on Donkey Kong.

Court Third Parties into developing for them.

It's seeming less and less likely the case that Nintendo can sell systems on Mario and Zelda alone, they need to start competing with Microsoft and Sony for exclusivity deals and the like.

I know some people are gonna say that Nintendo can't afford to compete, but Nintendo fans are the first to say that they're in a better financial position than Sony right now. They can afford to compete, they just won't.

New, aggressive marketing campaign for the Wii U.

The mass market still don't know what the Wii U is, and of those people that do, a lot seem to think it's just an add-on for the Wii. Nintendo has done very little to counteract this, they're marketing campaign has been nothing short of atrocious.

They need to show people this thing is actually out there.

If they can drop the price, or bundle it with something like Mario 3d World or Mario Kart for the price of a standalone console then even better.

Get rid of region-locking.

It's just arbitrary and stupid, and has no reason to exist in a global market. Get rid of it, it should give them some positive PR.

Show something more definitive for their upcoming releases.

Mario Kart 8 still has a non-descript 'Spring' release, and SSB, Bayo 2 & X are still just '2014' with very little in terms of information for the latter two.

Give a definite release date for MK8, give a better release window for SSB (say if it's Summer or Autumn or whatever) and show some more gameplay for Bayo 2 and X to try and drum up some hype.

DON'T drop the Gamepad.

The Wii U already has a small userbase as is, releasing different SKUs with different control schemes would just fracture it even more.

Brian Tams said:
1. You cannot abandon the Wii U and begin developing another console
I don't think they're going to be abandoning the Wii U anytime soon but I'd say it's fairly likely that they've started development on its successor, or will be soon. The PS4 started development back in 2008, these things take time.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
Begin development and announce an open-world Pokemon game, probably multiplayer. Exclusive to WiiU. Watch millions of people buy a WiiU.

Seriously, me and a fair few people I know would buy it just for that. I bought a 3ds solely for X and Y.

Tenkage

May 28, 2010
If I could control nintendo, make a Wii u Version of Monster Hunter 4, and send it to America, but I know it wouldn't save it...

Hmmmmm

I'd got nothing that could help...being in the gaming industry is hard

BakedSardine

Dec 3, 2013
the hidden eagle said:
Hostile takeover?Lmao,you're joking right?Miyamoto would fight to the death for his top two money makers to stay with Nintendo.But thanks for giving me a laugh because saying that Nintendo could be vulnerable to a hostile takeover is lulz worthy.
Miyamoto would have nothing to do with it - a hostile takeover is simply a legal maneuver that any public company is subject to.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I would lower the price of the Wii U, and get some developers to produce a Pokémon MMO. Even if the MMO was free-to-play and barely any different from the new Pokémon games from last year (for development time, of course) it would still sell millions of Wii Us and I bet there's something that can be done with the tablet that will suit Pokémon (especially since they're usually played on handhelds).

That's all I have to say, I'm not good at numbers, marketing and so on.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
I think it really is all about the games. It's a decent console and I would get it if it had games I want.
As grand pu bah president of Nintendo I would first contact Bethesda & Obsidian and have them make a Fallout game that's exclusive to the WiiU & a prequel to it on the 3ds. I would of course get our own guys to do the testing on it. That tablet thing would make an awesome pipboy.
Let's also make the next Dawn of War a WiiU exclusive. Once again that tablet would go well with an RTS.
Then I would get whoever holds the rights to D&D video games to make one for the WiiU; a game where you get together with your friends to play D&D again. The DM holds the tablet and guides (and to a certain extent creates) the adventure.
Their strength right now is local multiplayer and the tablet could be great too if they did clever stuff with it.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I always figured the Wii U suffered due to lack of marketing/exposure. To this very day I'm not exactly sure what it is, how it looks like and what games you can play in it. So lower the price and market that fucker.
that really is Nintendo's biggest problem I think with the damn thing. They dropped the ball on the marketing department. I don't know what happened but I find it odd that them and Disney for that matter have shitty marketing departments. I mean they have unlimited money and yet no one knows what the Wii U is and in Disney's case they sold a crappy version of Frozen which is one of the best movies they have ever made. I saw a shit ton of advertisements for the Wii. They knew exactly what to sell, who they wanted to sell it to, etc. I see next to no Wii U advertisements. If they advertised it better and more then I think it would do fine. In my honest opinion though 2014 is going to be the year that either makes or breaks it. A lot of big guns are being released for it this year and if that doesn't push consoles then its done.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
GonzoGamer said:
I think it really is all about the games. It's a decent console and I would get it if it had games I want.
As grand pu bah president of Nintendo I would first contact Bethesda & Obsidian and have them make a Fallout game that's exclusive to the WiiU & a prequel to it on the 3ds. I would of course get our own guys to do the testing on it. That tablet thing would make an awesome pipboy.
Let's also make the next Dawn of War a WiiU exclusive. Once again that tablet would go well with an RTS.
Then I would get whoever holds the rights to D&D video games to make one for the WiiU; a game where you get together with your friends to play D&D again. The DM holds the tablet and guides (and to a certain extent creates) the adventure.
Their strength right now is local multiplayer and the tablet could be great too if they did clever stuff with it.
Honestly the tablet is the key to console RTS games. I actually spent a day and mapped out the controls for League of Legends to a console and the only one that would work was the Wii U with its tablet. Nintendo has the tools to finally bring real good RTS gameplay to consoles. Not saying it would ever over shadow PCs but Nintendo does have a market they could corner if anyone ever figured it out.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
First of all, I would secure a place in the company for myself after the day as president is over.

Next up, call Miyamoto in for an emergency meeting/Autograph session and Eiji Aonuma to get as many details about Zelda U as possible.

Get some official Nintendo pens, I assume they have some laying around.

Give myself a great severance package considering I will be fired after a day of goofing off like this.

Get Retro to work on either Metroid, or a new IP. There is so much great talent there that is being wasted on making another Donkey Kong game so similar to the last one.

Get the ball rolling on a Star Fox game, the world needs it...NOW!

Reshiram playable in Smash Bros. Sakurai would probably say it's not popular enough, I would say JUST DO IT!

Make a deal with Namco to get Link in the next Soul Caliber, we all know that would only benefit the sales of the game just as it did with Soul Caliber II.

Big_Willie_Styles said:
1) Design a bunch of new Pokemon (always wanted to do that.)

2) Put in some ideas for the next Zelda game.

3) The stuff I didn't know that was mentioned by others above.

4) Greenlight Nintendo action figures that will be sold in the U.S. market (because they damn never are, just Japan) and get myself three of each one.

5) Commission a true-to-scale Master Sword and OoT Mirror Shield and make two of 'em because why not?

6) Greenlight one of my video game ideas.

7) Announce the creation of a Nintendo Land amusement park in America (and probably Japan, somewhere.)

8) Meet with a bunch of people to greenlight new Nintendo-branded IPs.

9) Add Ganondorf with his sword to the next Super Smash Bros., reinstate Roy and Mewtwo and Dr. Mario, add Blaziken (Mega Evolution is his Final Smash,) add Wolf Link & Midna, add the Chimera from Earthbound, add Ridley, add the Mii, add Professor Layton, add a character from Wonderful 101, add Little Mac, add Tingle, etc.
Yes to all of these, especially the figures, sword and shield replicas, and the real Nintendo Land. I wish Nintendo did more merchandising with their properties in general. Pokemon gets tons of merchandise of all kinds, but most Nintendo franchises are ignored in this regard.

I had a lot more fun with this thread than I thought I would, granted I dodged the main question about helping the Wii U's situation. >.>

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
KazeAizen said:
I don't know what happened but I find it odd that them and Disney for that matter have shitty marketing departments. I mean they have unlimited money and yet no one knows what the Wii U is and in Disney's case they sold a crappy version of Frozen which is one of the best movies they have ever made.
Disney does know how to market though. It doesn't portray the movie for what it really is, but it gets butts in the seat. In the West cartoons are for kids, so the way to market that is by making it look all goofy. If you market its dramatic elements, parents aren't going to take their kids to see it. Because who wants the watch a serious cartoon, am I right?

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Nintendo CEO Phrozenflame's 7-Step Plan for Nintendo's Success:

Step 1: Cry about Wii U's failure, go through long montage staring at portraits of former CEO's before having an epiphany.

Step 2: Appear on top of building, new plan in hand. Employees stare in awe.

Step 3: Reduce Wii U price, start actually marketing the fucking thing.

Step 4: Encourage Western-popular third-party devs to go either Nintendo only or release the games multi-platform. Maybe go the Bayonetta 2 route and fund game development for the console. Either way, start focusing on Western markets.

Step 5: Expand digital store, re-release classic Nintendo games, encourage indie developers, suspend bullshit backwards policies like region locking.

Step 6: Release Wii U exclusive first party titles, especially of popular franchises that are underutilized like Metroid.

Step 7: Die tragically after drowning in pools of money.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
KazeAizen said:
I don't know what happened but I find it odd that them and Disney for that matter have shitty marketing departments. I mean they have unlimited money and yet no one knows what the Wii U is and in Disney's case they sold a crappy version of Frozen which is one of the best movies they have ever made.
Disney does know how to market though. It doesn't portray the movie for what it really is, but it gets butts in the seat. In the West cartoons are for kids, so the way to market that is by making it look all goofy. If you market its dramatic elements, parents aren't going to take their kids to see it. Because who wants the watch a serious cartoon, am I right?
I would agree with you if it was anyone else but Disney. The consensus it seems for the marketing for that movie was that it sucked until they released the third trailer for it. Which nails what they should've been selling, and if parents aren't going to take their kids to a Disney animated movie then they are parenting wrong. It was only after the release of the movie that I saw better commercials and the word spread via word of mouth that "No its not what's in the trailers at all. Its so much better." Disney is known for having touching and dramatic moments along side the fun ones in their movies. Playing up action and comedy was just not a smart way to go.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
Here's my list of 10 things I would do.

1. New Star Fox
2. New F-Zero
3. Pokemon Stadium 3 for the Wii U (with the ability to connect to the 3DS wirelessly)
4. Market the hell out of the Wii U, and a $50 or $100 price drop
5. Reduce the prices on Virtual Console games and digital downloads, and also try to release older games for smartphones and tablets
6. Geno in Smash Bros 4
7. Beef up the Internet service in general
8. Contract more first or third-party developers to make new entries into existing franchises (Have Sega make F-Zero again, let someone else take a shot with Star Fox)
9. Pokemon MMO

And finally...

10. An official Mario/Sonic crossover that doesn't revolve around the fucking Olympics